Please, help with my new rifle

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Vity

Please, help with my new rifle

Post by Vity »

Hi, I just got Izhevsk ex-dragon rifle(at least I think it is ex-dragoon :D ). There is something strange with this rifle. The year of manufacturing is 1923. However, name of the Izhevsk factory contains 'i' which should no be there if it would be really made in 1923. Also, reciever has two crests, soviet and tsar. If you look closely pictures below you can see that year was changed. Under number '3' there number which looks more like '1'. And number '2' was probably '0'. I tried to check tang date, but it got more confusing because it says it was made in 1916 by Sestroryetsk. On the top of all strange things serial number is really small: 6662. I really confused, Can somebody help me to understand what I got? Thank you in advanced!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Re: Please, help with my new rifle

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a very interesting rifle, but I will wait for someone else to answer your question. I'll give you twenty dollars for it! ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Vity

Post by Vity »

:-)
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

That is a common occurrence on Hex receivers, to have a newer barrel on an old receiver, recycling 100 yrs ago.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Vity

Post by Vity »

What about the serial number? the number 6662 is still really small for any of the years 1916, 1901 or 1923. It is probably has to be in hundred thousands (xxx-xxx)
Last edited by Vity on Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It has been refurbished and force matched. Also Mosin serial numbers don't run in any real order. Not 1 through Millions.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I think the "older" Mosins used sequential serial numbers. But once they went to M91/30's they used a random starter letter and ran a certain amount of rifles (batch). Then randomly changed the first letter and did a new batch. This way no one could tell how many rifles they had ever made. AND it is impossible to tell from serial numbers the year it was made (like most arsenals do). But, the older ones you could.

I think when yours was re-barreled they used the old serial number.
Darryl
Vity

Post by Vity »

Yes, the style of the numbers look original and year looks partually untouched. This low number means that this rifle was made in the first production year, but it can't be true. First two digits (19) weren't touched, only two last digits were changed. I don't believe that by year 1900 only 6xxxx plus Dragoon rifles were made.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

They restarted the serial numbers each year until 1938 when they went to a different procedure. So the first rifle assembled and numbered in, say 1928 would have been serial number 1. And up from there til the end of the run for that year then started over again at #1. Your barrel was made in 1921, a year of turmoil and upheaval at the Izhevsk plant. The barrel could have easily been rejected or something then reworked and completed in '23 when the date was changed. The serial number means it was among the first few 1000 completed in 1923.
The recycled receiver on an early 20s date Izhevsk is really common.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Vity

Post by Vity »

Thank you! I didn't know about that.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

To boot it looks like that 1916 receiver is a Sestroryetsk. Pretty cool.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Vity

Post by Vity »

All Mosin rifles I saw were Tula or Izhevsk. Never Sestroryetsk. Saw it only on pictures. :-(
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That single arrow is Sestroryetsk.

C. S. Lewis
Vity

Post by Vity »

I was trying to say that I never saw rifle made in systroyetsk, this receiver is the first time I see at least something from systroyetsk live :-)