Gewehr 98 Shooting High

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Sestroryetsk1907

Gewehr 98 Shooting High

Post by Sestroryetsk1907 »

A couple weeks ago, I bought a really nice 1906 Mauser Oberndorf Gewehr 98. Everything matches except the bolt and it still has the Langevisier sight. Anyways, I loaded up some 8mm rounds with 150 gr. Hornady Soft Points and I used the closest data I could find to replicate the original WW1 era S Ball load. While the rifle shoots fine windige wise, it was shooting like 3-4 feet high at 100 yards. Now I know that the lowest sight setting is 400 meters, but 3-4 feet is awfully extreme. I've thought about either trying heavier bullets in the loads or finding a taller front sight. Do you all have any recommendations?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Gewehr 98 Shooting High

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Normal for a rifle from that era, they all shoot high at close range, and 100 yards is close range for this rifle. Like using a muscle car just to run to the mailbox at the end of your drive. You need to aim for the belt to hit the chest, otherwise know as 6 O'clock hold. Aim for the lowest ring on the target, use large targets. The thinking at that time was you engage the enemy 400 even 600 yards away. If he's only 100 yards away you snap on the bayonet.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Common issue with military issue rifles of that era for the reasons JYD cited. Same thing happens with my M1886 M93 Lebel and my Berthier carbines. At 100 yards, they require a low 6 o'clock hold. These aren't match rifles.
Sestroryetsk1907

Post by Sestroryetsk1907 »

Thanks for the quick replies! I knew that it was going to shoot high, I was just really surprised that it shot as high as it did. I figured it would be 12 inches at the most. I'll probably just experiment with different loads until I find one that doesn't go quite as high.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Brownells sells a tall front sight.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The Turk Mausers are notorious for shooting high. I sold my only Turk that shot POA to Longcolt44 years ago & was lucky enough to have a chance to trade for it. I have it again & will not let it go.

But yea... Remember the 6oclock hold & all is well.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
nasarna970

Post by nasarna970 »

Hey there! Congrats on your new 1906 Mauser Oberndorf Gewehr 98, that's a beauty!
nasarna970

Post by nasarna970 »

nasarna970 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:12 pm Hey there! Congrats on your new 1906 Mauser Oberndorf Gewehr 98, that's a beauty!
I can understand why you're experiencing some issues with the sight. Have you thought about trying larger rifle primers in your loads? I've found that they can make a big difference in terms of accuracy. You can check out the CCI Large Rifle Primers from https://midcitygunshop.com/product/cci-large-rifle-primers/. They have a great selection. Good luck with your adjustments and let us know how it goes!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:hunter: Aim low men, they're riding Shetland ponies.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This post is from 2016, he probably figured out issue by now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt