M28/30 sold for almost $4k

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
h bone

Re: M28/30 sold for almost $4k

Post by h bone »

It is much rarer IMO than an m27rv, and you see what they have been bringing over the last few months. These guns have a tremendous history behind them and I feel that as more people learn about them and their history then they will of course become more desirable and that will determine the price in the long run. Look at the US milsurp weapons and also US civil war artifacts, the really rare pieces are in very high end collections or they are in museums.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Interesting thread. It has less to do with value than with valuation, which is highly subjective.

Personally, I think that anyone expecting an ROI (Return on Investment) is rolling the dice even more than in, say, the stock market. If he is counting on a return, then he is being very foolish indeed. JYD has covered this.

But . . . there are probably as many motives for collecting as there are collectors.

There are people (and the successful bidder here may be one) who regard weapons not only as historic artifacts but also as works of art-- at least up to the point when weapons became ugly (after about 1960).

My point is, cost-drivers can be truly intangible and unknowable. After all, these aren't oranges or pork bellies.

Whoever bought that rifle paid what it was worth to him. Or her. And that person might have been prepared to go much higher. If he is an investor, I suspect that he may ultimately be disappointed. If he is a collector, then I suspect that he is quite happy, and this discussion would have no meaning to him.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

It's not like they are making anymore so the supply will never meet the demand.

What we got here is Capitalism at it's finest. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Miller Tyme wrote:It's not like they are making anymore so the supply will never meet the demand.

What we got here is Capitalism at it's finest. :thumbsup:
Well said.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

If the new owner has all the other variations of the m28/30 and only needed this one to complete the set, then he got a good deal for what seems to be a rare rifle.

For me, I would be better served spending that $4k on 8 other rifles I want. My small collection is slowly growing but I buy what I like, not for investment as I never plan on selling them. Now if I did see another in a local shop for $1k, I would jump on it.

With the occasional mosin rifle hitting $1k and up, maybe this will stop bubba for a moment while he ponders if his is a rare rifle.

Supply and demand dictates these surplus rifle should at a minimum, hold their value including inflation.
Kollaa kestää
h bone

Post by h bone »

I totally agree with djbuck1. IMO the person who bought this rifle was a collector. A person in business would obviously not pay top dollar and expect to immediately turn a profit. This gun is not rare, it is very rare, and rarity costs. In the overall scheme of things the mosins and finns are still a very good buy, even at $3600 for a m27rv or $4000 for a m28/30, compared to many other milsurp guns. But as more people learn about these magnificent firearms then the more collectors we will have and that will drive costs. I have learned a lot from JYDs youtube videos, and I have heard him state that he paid 40 or 50 or 60 dollars for a gun that will bring in excess of 400 to 500 dollars now. I own several mosin finns and some of my friends have asked me why would I pay $250 to $600 for a finn when I can get a 91/30 for much less. Well that is when the history lesson begins. And as collectors we give birth to new collectors. So there will be less finn rifles for more collectors and that will determine the future value of these rifles. I have been collecting guns for over 40 years now and when I first started I missed out on some very rare guns because I was not willing to pay a high price for a gun that was truly rare. Well I try not to make that mistake any longer. Sometimes you have to step up to the plate or go home. Rarity costs and always will.
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Cool rifle. But, does a $4,000.00 M28/30 shoot any better than my $400.00 1968 M39? :?:

Or 10x better?
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Sirex wrote:Cool rifle. But, does a $4,000.00 M28/30 shoot any better than my $400.00 1968 M39?
I know it was a rhetorical question, but I doubt the 4K M28/30 will be seeing any range time. Hard core collectors vs shooters...well that debate could go on for pages.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

redspoon wrote:
Sirex wrote:Cool rifle. But, does a $4,000.00 M28/30 shoot any better than my $400.00 1968 M39?
I know it was a rhetorical question, but I doubt the 4K M28/30 will be seeing any range time. Hard core collectors vs shooters...well that debate could go on for pages.

+1 Some people collect to shoot, and others collect for the history. I have over 120 MN rifles and have shot maybe 15 of them. For me shooting the rifle is secondary, the history and rarity are what tops my list.

I am sure whoever bought the rifle in question will hold it in his hands, look at it and say to himself

"I have a rifle that very few have ever seen or will ever own and I am now part of it's history." :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have never bought a rifle thinking about what it would be worth someday. I have also *never overpaid for any firearm I have bought. I just bought what I wanted so how can I go wrong?

*You might think I paid too much but not me.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
h bone

Post by h bone »

Miller tyme you said it perfectly. My thoughts as well.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The only good thing I see was brought up earlier; As the prices rise people will be less inclined to modify & molest Military Surplus weapons.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

I'm feeling better everyday for "only" paying $900 for my Tikka, lol.
bb91

Post by bb91 »

99.999% of us envious "collectors" will never own one of these, it is the only one I have seen for sale in the US, IMO you could not "overpay" for such a piece. That rifle could be the cornerstone to any collection and especially so if you break it down to a Finnish or Mosin collection. Congrats to the buyer! Enjoy!
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Hate to revive such an old thread, but does anyone have an idea of what the current value would be on a M28/30 RIIHIMÄKI 1938 bolt matching. Condition seems to be all original. Discretely import marked under the barrel. Bore is excellent.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk