Chassepot 1866-74 M80 M14...that's a mouthful

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
racerguy00

Chassepot 1866-74 M80 M14...that's a mouthful

Post by racerguy00 »

I'd been wanting one of these for a while and even though this one had issues it was at a price I couldn't turn down.
A bit of history. Originally this rifle was a Chassepot needle-fire 11mm using paper cartridges and made somewhere between 1866 and 1873. The receiver isn't dated but retains the early 1866 designation. In 1874 an 11mm metallic cartridge was adopted and the Chassepot rifles were easily modified to use the new round. At the same time newly made rifles using the new round were produced and designated the M1874 Gras. Upgraded Chassepot rifles were basically identical to the new Gras rifle.

In 1880 a slight modification to the receiver was introduced that helped vent gas from a ruptured case away from the shooters face.

Finally due to acute weapon shortages at the start of WW1 the French pulled a large amount of the Gras rifles from reserve stocks and rebarrelled them using Lebel-style 8mm barrels and sights. Due to the smaller OD of the 8mm barrel and the desire to use existing Gras hardware and bayonets a few additional steps were taken. A handguard was added that along with a shim under the barrel that allowed the original lower band to be reused. At the muzzle, the 8mm barrel OD was reduced and a reamed out Gras barrel end was slipped over. This allowed the Gras upper band as well it's bayonet to be reused. These rifles were issued to reserve and rear area troops to free up more modern rifles for the front.

After WW1 these rifles were put back into storage until at least the mid 30s when they were amazingly updated yet again. The neck and throat of the chambers were slightly opened up for use with the newer/updated Balle N 8mm Lebel round. Rifles so modified received an N stamp on top of the receiver and received a coat of black enamel the same as the current issue Berthier and Lebel models received during the update.

An interesting side note. Early in WW1 Remington was contracted to produce a run of rolling block rifles in 8mm Lebel for the same reason these 11mm rifles were modified. Even though also completely obsolete in the mid 30s many of the rolling blocks still in storage were update to Balle N standard as well.

This rifle had an odd location duffle cut near the upper band that needed repaired as well as a missing handguard. Both of these issues let the action sit very loosely in the stock. With the duffle repair, a fabricated handguard and a great bore this rifle shoots very well. It's very well balanced and has a great trigger. I like it a lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Chassepot 1866-74 M80 M14...that's a mouthful

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Makes you wonder just what they thought they would do with these rifles in the pre WW2 era. These are a different sort of rifle, all the French rifles are, very cool find. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Chassepot 1866-74 M80 M14...that's a mouthful

Post by Darryl »

A St. Étienne arsenal made rifle. I have Muskets model 1863 and 1776 from that arsenal and also Charleville Arsenal.
That brought back good memories.
Nice rifle. I want one! That would bring my French collection up a notch! LOL
Darryl