7.62x54r surplus ammo identification

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
twogun71

7.62x54r surplus ammo identification

Post by twogun71 »

Hey everyone, I'm a long time shooter (51) and have a few questions about a bit of surplus ammunition I ran across ... I recently acquired a 1944 Mosin m44 rifle and about 1,200 rounds of ammunition. Some of the ammo is Wolf (which I'm familiar with) and approximately 800 rounds of surplus ammo that was in sealed tins. I have never seen anything like these, as there is nothing on the cans stating caliber etc.. . Even though it is in fact 7.62x54r.... I was told this was purchased many years ago (probably 30 or more) and the purchaser is now deceased. Just thought someone here could shed some light. Thanks in advance, Looking forward to the conversation.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3
Photo 4
Photo 5

edited by Administrator
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: 7.62x54r surplus ammo identification

Post by Darryl »

My "Guess" is Polish Heavy Ball.

Yellow tip usually means "Heavy Ball".

21 in a copper plated jacket I think is Polish.

However, the tin can it cam in looks like my Bulgarian tins.

21/51 is Polish and the yellow is heavy Ball.......so, I bet, Polish Heavy Ball.

Darryl
twogun71

Re: 7.62x54r surplus ammo identification

Post by twogun71 »

Thanks Darryl. The overall cartridge lengths are: Wolf=2.895 and Surplus=3.032. I did a little research beforehand and concluded the same for heavy ball. I guess the Polish have their own way to code ammunition. Any idea on the value of this ammo? or even the rifle? The rifle is counterbored, the buttstock heel has been dovetailed and repaired. bore is decent, not dark, not a lot of pitting, but can tell it's been fired quite a bit compared to another mosin that's in the family. I do collect firearms that I find interesting like these and rarely sell anything, just curious I guess.