Finnish 1909 Cossack

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WSarchet

Finnish 1909 Cossack

Post by WSarchet »

20220906_195421.jpg
A close cousin of the Dragoon, the Cossack rifle is marked Каз, for Казачья (Cossack) on the shank and rear sight. Often written Ka3, this was to identify these rifles as having been zeroed without a bayonet attached, rather than with bayonet like the Dragoon. This was because the Cossacks were expected to fight on horseback, unlike the other mounted forces in Imperial Russia who were expected to use their rifles from the ground. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to tell which Cossack host this rifle would have been originally issued to.
20220906_195437.jpg
This particular example was originally built in 1909 at Izhevsk. Either by capture or by purchase, Finland acquired the rifle. During Finnish service, the rifle was heavily rebuilt, including a 91/30 spliced stock from V. Lindholmin Puusepäntehdas and a Dragoon rear sight (marked кав, for кавалерия/cavalry). In Finnish service, the Cossack and Dragoon rifles were lumped together, as all Finnish cavalry trained as dragoons.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Finnish 1909 Cossack

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Srupidhaircuts

Post by Srupidhaircuts »

Thats beautiful 😍 💜 💕
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is an outstanding rifle. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Smart looking rifle!

Darryl
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Beautiful example.
WSarchet

Post by WSarchet »

Thanks everyone!
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

reportedly, this weapon is 113 years old....perfect condition...obviously never in a war....where has it been..?.....reasonable question...it has just appeared and WSarchet has it appear in his lap....what is a reasonable explanation of the missing 112 years and its unused condition...?
WSarchet

Post by WSarchet »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:31 pm reportedly, this weapon is 113 years old....perfect condition...obviously never in a war....where has it been..?.....reasonable question...it has just appeared and WSarchet has it appear in his lap....what is a reasonable explanation of the missing 112 years and its unused condition...?
It's certainly not in perfect shape, although the file size limit obscures some of the wear in these photos. And I'd wager it's been in at least two wars - once when it was captured from Imperial Russia, and likely the Continuation War, which I expect is when it picked up the Finnish stock. It's perfectly possible that it also saw combat in the Great War, the Winter War, and the Lapland War and maybe even some of the Finnish expeditions of the 1920s. I bought it from a well regarded Mosin collector I've done business with in the past who knew I was interested in Finnish examples. Off the top of my head I don't remember if or where this one is import marked but it likely came straight from Finland to the US in one of the large batches.
yarik_jar

Post by yarik_jar »

Nice 👍
Sindone

Post by Sindone »

Outstanding rifle!
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:31 pm reportedly, this weapon is 113 years old....perfect condition...obviously never in a war....where has it been..?.....reasonable question...it has just appeared and WSarchet has it appear in his lap....what is a reasonable explanation of the missing 112 years and its unused condition...?
Finnish refurb. Not uncommon for some rifles to look new....well, at least the bluing will look new. Almost entire rifle will look new if it was placed in a newly made stock during refurb and not used prior to import to U.S.
Mosin Fanboy