91/30 Hex receiver dates after 1936

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Coltboy

91/30 Hex receiver dates after 1936

Post by Coltboy »

I just received a 91/30 with hex receiver dated 1936 Tula. Last of the hex receivers. Also have a round receiver dated 1936. Are there any reported hex receivers later than 1936. Thanks, Jim
racerguy00

Re: 91/30 Hex receiver dates after 1936

Post by racerguy00 »

There are lots after 1936 but they are recycled older receivers rebuilt into new rifles. No brand new hex receivers after '36 that I've ever seen.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Coltboy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:36 pm I just received a 91/30 with hex receiver dated 1936 Tula. Last of the hex receivers. Also have a round receiver dated 1936. Are there any reported hex receivers later than 1936. Thanks, Jim
There is a legend that, early in the war, when the Soviets were struggling to make rifles faster than they were losing them, that someone discovered a ton of receivers, (probably in the famous Sarco warehouse) that had been set aside, and forgotten, during peace time, for being "irregular" though functional, that were then sent to the productions lines to build new rifles. Assuming that they were then re-dated, could account for some post '36 hexes. It is certainly not uncommon to find hex receivers mated with a post '36 barrel; somewhere around here I have a '42 dated barrel on a hex receiver. Soviets, under the pressure of Mr. Needmore, were thrifty and practical.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

As indicated, after 1936 due to receiver shortages, stored hex receivers were used on quite a few rifles. As I recall, however, this was during the 40's when most of these were made. I had a couple of these.. But, that said, there was always the possibility that some new 1935 hex receivers left in inventory were assembled in production year 1936.

You never know though... I had a 1934 Izhevsk with a round receiver at one time that I chalked up as a prototype or a very early adoption. It had a 1935 dated receiver. But, who knows when it comes to the Mosins? Whenever you think that you've seen it all, something else pops up.