M27-66 - heavy pics

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Jallukola

Re: M27-66 - heavy pics

Post by Jallukola »

capt14k wrote:As for reading Palokangas google translator on phone scan it and it translates the paragraph. Of course it isn't 100%. However if there becomes a part that makes no sense let me know and I can email or whatsapp the section to a friend in Finland.
Feel free to PM me if you need any translations; I'm still searching for my copy of Palokangas' magnum opus... Even better would be a revised and extended edition as the years after 1988 have seen a lot regarding Finnish military small arms. Mr. Palokangas is still active, as he recently published a book about heavy and crew served infantry weapons of Finland. Link (in Finnish:) http://www.docendokustannus.fi/jalkavae ... angas.html
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: M27-66 - heavy pics

Post by capt14k »

Jallukola wrote:
capt14k wrote:As for reading Palokangas google translator on phone scan it and it translates the paragraph. Of course it isn't 100%. However if there becomes a part that makes no sense let me know and I can email or whatsapp the section to a friend in Finland.
Feel free to PM me if you need any translations; I'm still searching for my copy of Palokangas' magnum opus... Even better would be a revised and extended edition as the years after 1988 have seen a lot regarding Finnish military small arms. Mr. Palokangas is still active, as he recently published a book about heavy and crew served infantry weapons of Finland. Link (in Finnish:) http://www.docendokustannus.fi/jalkavae ... angas.html
Thank you for the offer. My friend Mikko usually helps me out but sometimes he is very busy.

Palokangas is releasing 3 more volumes covering up until 2013. A 25 year update. This was according to his assistant who I made contact with regarding the numbering of certain M39 bayonets. The numbering has nothing to do with the rifle or rack number. They were numbered to be given as gifts. The lowest numbers went to the most important people. Many of the higher numbers were never gifted. There is a record of the numbers given as gifts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Alsky

Post by Alsky »

Captain Correction on those totals - probably closer to 1000 of the M28/76s produced. Not 10,000 . 866 imported here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -questions!
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: M27-66 - heavy pics

Post by capt14k »

Alsky wrote:Captain Correction on those totals - probably closer to 1000 of the M28/76s produced. Not 10,000 . 866 imported here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -questions!
I see in that thread one guy said 11,000. I have to check where I read 10,000, but 1,000 seems too low. Especially if 866 were imported. I converse with 5 guys in Finland and they all own a M/28-76. The odds are there are more than 134 left in Finland. My guess is the number falls somewhere in the middle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Hate to revive an old thread but didn't want people to compare original 27/66 to pictures shown. I see on another forum it was pointed out that the rifle shown is not an original 27/66 and I believe they are correct. The biggest difference is the trigger. 27/66 has a fully adjustable trigger that costs close to $500 alone. Rifle shown I believe was built by someone from a 28/76 and made to look like a 27/66.

Below is what I believe to be a French Forum where a knowledgeable member points out the inaccuracies. Use Google translate.

https://www.tircollection.com/t33223-fi ... sin-m27-66

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I stand corrected, and this should have been the dead giveaway. The trigger on many 27/66 is TKIV85 they weren't around til 1985. 27/66 was made in 1966. Also Mosins 1917-2017 has the documented serial numbers of original 27/66 rifles. They only went to 320 and are numbered on the side of the barrel. Only 300 made some numbers were skipped.

So I now believe most were wrong in the thread above. Especially since an original 27/66 can't possibly have a trigger made in 1985.

So there are really 2 models of 27/66. Original with its own type of trigger based on the M27 trigger, and upgraded with the plate on the magazine and the TKIV85 trigger. When they upgraded them they replaced the barrels and renumbered them starting with I believe 500. Thus why none of the upgraded 27/66 serials correspond to the original documented serial numbers.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk