New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by steelbuttplate »

CPT47 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:23 am Hello,

New guy from Texas. Been collecting milsurp rifles for many years. Look forward to looking around and participating.

Thanks
. Pictures, of that collection is what this Forum lives for. Welcome.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

welcome CPT47.

Truth is, I should post here because it has been so long since I was really active here. Problems.... Oh well.
Under control now.

Anyway, welcome aboard.

Darryl
SimonUK

Post by SimonUK »

Hi all,

Greetings from the UK! I have been shooting since I was 13 and my dad bought me a 1942 91/30 PU when I was 15! I have shot it out to 800 yards before and no matter how hard I try, the rounds barely ever leave the 9 ring... :biggrin:

Best regards,

Simon
Redleg318

Post by Redleg318 »

New guy, Redleg318 from Binghamton NY (be gentile, im upstate lol). 5.5yrs ARMY (13b, 68w) 97-02. Just came across my first Mosin. 1945 M44. Just looking for a few opinions on it from the SME's. I appreciate any and all knowledge passed on. Got to figure out how to post pics now.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Hello Redleg318,

Welcome to the forums.

Because careful altering it in anyway that is permenant. It will drop the value of a collectable rifle and destry it's past history.

M44 is a great rilfe. May people here started with a M44. Lot of bang left it it!

Darryl
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

Thought I joined this forum a long time ago, but guess not! I am an Army veteran (1972-1977) and milsurp collector for about 40 years. No specializations, have just bought a few of everything over the years. Now retired and not collecting so much, though I did buy a Carcano this year!
kwqd

Post by kwqd »

I see folks a giving an overview of what Mosins they have. Just off the top of my head as my gun room is full and it takes a lot of effort to get to the back of it. Numbers are approximate as I am not sure of what I have, how many, etc, as it has been a few years since I was collecting Mosins/Finns.

M91s - 2-3
M91/30s - 8-10 (a couple of ex-dragoons, everything hex except for one round receiver)
M44s - 2
M38 - 1
T53s - 6, 3 all numbers matching
Finns - 15-20 (1891s, M24, M27s, M28s, M28/30s, M39s. I have some fairly rare Finns.)

Some of these I haven't had out in 10+ years. I basically have to fill another room with rifles to get to them. I mostly collected two of each type of milsurp rifle, but went kind of nuts on Mosins.
Rabid Ewok

Post by Rabid Ewok »

New here :mrgreen: !... m1891, m38 and m44
S12A

Post by S12A »

Thank you for the forum , happy to be here!

my first and only:

tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

s12a, give us some good views of your sniper setup....we have spirited discussions on these weapons............
S12A

Post by S12A »

Will do in the other thread mate, after work!
I did try to upload a bunch of photos but no luck . I’ll try again.
tomaustin wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:29 pm s12a, give us some good views of your sniper setup....we have spirited discussions on these weapons............
MGJim

Post by MGJim »

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and to Mosin Nagant's, so I look forward to learning from yall. I hope to track down the meaning of the various stamping s on my new purchase, best I can tell it is an Izhevsk 1940r, but there is also an SA in a square on the left side of the barrel. But reading here i see that might be a fake. Anyway, its good to be here!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

MGJim wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:25 am Hi everyone. I am new to this site and to Mosin Nagant's, so I look forward to learning from yall. I hope to track down the meaning of the various stamping s on my new purchase, best I can tell it is an Izhevsk 1940r, but there is also an SA in a square on the left side of the barrel. But reading here i see that might be a fake. Anyway, its good to be here!
Post some pics. We can help id it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Coltboy

Post by Coltboy »

Jim AKA “Coltboy” and am new to the forum but long time Mosin collector.

Welcom Jim. We have the best information here and some of the best experts too.

Darryl
sammyreyes

Post by sammyreyes »

Thanks for the add. Greetings from South Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MasterChiefJLPS

Post by MasterChiefJLPS »

I am a new owner of a beautiful 1917 Tula M91, however, after some research I have noticed something very odd in comparison to other mosins, the cleaning rod is not at all like any mosin rods I can find images of. Does anybody here know what exactly this is? Is it even originally from a mosin? The rod does not screw into the stock like regular ones do, and the whole rod is much narrower than the channel it sit in and thus rattles around a LOT more than that of my 1947 refurbed M91/30.
M39Scout

Trying to Remember My C&R Journey

Post by M39Scout »

I really don't remember what year I got started on the Journey of C&R Firearms.

I do remember that it all started with an order through a local shop to Century Arms in Miami, FL for a 3 Turkish Mausers - Very Good Condition at 3 for $100. Surplus Ammo was dirt cheap, too, and I was in Firearm Heaven! I did not have my C&R License yet - and I let it lapse several years ago, sometime after my daughter was born... children have away of changing your priorities.

Soon after that I discovered a C&R Forum - Parallax's C&R Forums, which is now defunct - got my C&R license and became a moderator on that forum.

I remember the first time I saw a Mosin-Nagant Rifle. I was an M9130, and I thought it was the ugliest thing that I had ever seen. BUT... I found that I had a strong and strange attraction to it, and I couldn't stop thinking about Mosins. I read everything I could about them and, eventually, fell in love with them... ESPECIALLY the M39 Finn!!!! :pointleft:

Well, at some point Century had another sale on Mosins and I made several orders at 3/$100 and even 5/$100 and did the same thing with the Turkish Mausers. I traded and/or sold off the ones that I did not want - ALWAYS being careful to not to violate the "Straw Sale" regulations or even the spirit of the law... 99% of my transactions were with other C&R Licensees and I NEVER bought a firearm with the intention of selling it. Some of them, I eventually gave away as gifts to friends or family.

Anyway, after all these years, I still only hunt with my old C&R Warhorses: M91/30, M38, M44, M9159 and M39 Finn Mosins; Turkish and Yugo Mausers; and a K31 Swiss Schmidt-Rubin Carbine. I handload for 7.62x54R, 7.92x57 Mauser, and 7.5x55 Swiss: I've been able to develop 1 MOA loads for almost all of my original condition hunting rifles.

I love them all and still love to shoot them, although that is MUCH more expensive than it used to be.

It's been quite an awesome, wonderful journey, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

M39Scout
Good Shooting and God Bless! :thumbsup:
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

MasterChiefJLPS wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am I am a new owner of a beautiful 1917 Tula M91, however, after some research I have noticed something very odd in comparison to other mosins, the cleaning rod is not at all like any mosin rods I can find images of. Does anybody here know what exactly this is? Is it even originally from a mosin? The rod does not screw into the stock like regular ones do, and the whole rod is much narrower than the channel it sit in and thus rattles around a LOT more than that of my 1947 refurbed M91/30.
Welcome aboard! That cleaning rod looks suspiciously like one for a Japanese Type 30 or Type 38 Arisaka rifle although there are other similar cleaning rods used on other country's rifles as well. What is its overall length? Post some pictures of your 1917 Tula on the main page, its usually possible to tell where its been by the markings and pieces/parts. I'd love to see your 1947 dated M91/30 as well, 1947 is a rather uncommon year for a M91/30 since the Soviets ended production in 1944 and switched to the M44 carbine.
MasterChiefJLPS

Post by MasterChiefJLPS »

ssg_lord wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:29 am
MasterChiefJLPS wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am I am a new owner of a beautiful 1917 Tula M91, however, after some research I have noticed something very odd in comparison to other mosins, the cleaning rod is not at all like any mosin rods I can find images of. Does anybody here know what exactly this is? Is it even originally from a mosin? The rod does not screw into the stock like regular ones do, and the whole rod is much narrower than the channel it sit in and thus rattles around a LOT more than that of my 1947 refurbed M91/30.
Welcome aboard! That cleaning rod looks suspiciously like one for a Japanese Type 30 or Type 38 Arisaka rifle although there are other similar cleaning rods used on other country's rifles as well. What is its overall length? Post some pictures of your 1917 Tula on the main page, its usually possible to tell where its been by the markings and pieces/parts. I'd love to see your 1947 dated M91/30 as well, 1947 is a rather uncommon year for a M91/30 since the Soviets ended production in 1944 and switched to the M44 carbine.
That m91/30 has had the finish removed from the stock and replaced with a god awful poyeurethane screwery adn until such time as the stock can be restored, I dont think posting it would be alowed here. The 91/30 was only refurbed in 1947, I do not know when it was produced as I dont know damn didly about this. The 1917 mosin has the primary eagle on the barrel so lightly stamped it almost is not even there at all btw, but I am assuming that since the russians got some arisakas in ww1 a cleaning rod or two or more somehow got in a pile, and this was accidentally paired with this rifle.
I will post more whenever I remember too but thanks for the directions too! :)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Post just a barrel shank shot of the 1947.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis