Enfield No1 MkV

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Enfield No1 MkV

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:33 pm :Drool1: Enfield nirvana, I just hit level 3. :vcool: I meant the WW2 carbines, is their name Mk. V ?
I've always heard those described as Number 5 Jungle Carbines. I don't know the nomenclature, but they are obviously very different.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

steelbuttplate wrote::Drool1: Enfield nirvana, I just hit level 3. :vcool: I meant the WW2 carbines, is their name Mk. V ?
WW2 is No5 MkI and then the really rare No5 Mk2 I had a Mk2 but couldn't turn down the offer I got for it. I have pics still. Yes the No5 MkI is called Jungle Carbine

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

First is No5 MkI the other is the only 50 made No5 MkII there was also 50 made of a similar type. They were being made for grenade launching. The main difference is internally. ImageImageImage

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

How can You tell if one is a No. 2. I think mine was made in '46.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

steelbuttplate wrote:How can You tell if one is a No. 2. I think mine was made in '46.
The model number on the rail. Everyone at the auction including Fat Scotty from Pre-98 thought that it was a serial number. They didn't realize it was the model with the X designating Experimental. I never put my hand down. Won it for $700 no premium. He says to me a lot to pay for a Jungle Carbine, I replied yeah it would be a lot for a No5 MkI except that it is an Experimental Grenade Rifle MkII only 50 made and only half survived. Image

WSarchet

Post by WSarchet »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:34 am How can You tell if one is a No. 2. I think mine was made in '46.
No.2s are .22 SMLEs. The No5 Mk2 is a No5 carbine with the trigger mounted to the action body instead of the trigger guard. It would be marked on the side, and the forend would have a cross screw instead of the tie plate at the wrist.

Pre-1926 you have the MLM, MLE, LMC, LEC, and SMLE series along with a variety of .22 rifles. In 1926 the SMLE became the No1; but only the MkIII and MkIII* were kept in vocabulary. That means it is never correct to refer to the SMLE MkI, ConD II, ConD IV, and MkV rifles as No1s. At the same time, certain .22 rifles became the No2 (only No2 MkIV and MkIV* were kept in vocabulary), and the P14 became the No3. On the other side of that, the No1 MkVI is never called an SMLE MkVI because it came about after the change in vocabulary.

In mid 1945, Marks changed from Roman numerals to Arabic numerals, so the No4 MkI became the No4 Mk1, the next model being the No4 Mk2 instead of MkII.

British designations are a bit of a mess but they make sense once you get the hang of them.