Enfield No1 MkV

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
capt14k

Enfield No1 MkV

Post by capt14k »

I've had this one for a little while, but have never posted full pics anywhere and honestly don't know a whole lot about the rifle. It seems to be a somewhat uncommon rifle. Only 20,000 were made from 1922-1924. Production by year is 6,500 in 1922, 2,000 in 1923, and 11,500 in 1924. Mine is marked at the rear band 1922 ShtLE V. I've seen them called No1 MkV and just MkV. Mine has a matching nose cap, receiver, and bolt. Not sure about the barrel. I tried removing it from the stock but the upper hand Guard is clipped on and it isn't coming off easy. I'm afraid to force it because the upper hand Guard looks like it is spliced. Maybe a rescued sporter hand Guard or it cracked at one time?

Two of the hard to find parts I luckily have. They are the rear sight which is unique to the MkV and the magazine cutoff without a hole in the plate, which is also unique to the MkV.

The finish on the stock and metal is excellent. Real nice brass butt plate. Nice strong markings on all the parts. Bore looks like new. Everything functions perfectly including the magazine cutoff which fits like a glove. It's definitely the nicest looking Enfield I own.

If anyone has any idea to value please don't hesitate to post it. I have not found one sold recently other than sporters with missing parts. I did find that original and repro rear sights sell for $500-600 and mag cutoffs are around $100.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Enfield No1 MkV

Post by Longcolt44 »

Very nice, I have never seen this model or sight before.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Pet_My_Mosin

Post by Pet_My_Mosin »

Pretty nice one there Capt K

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very cool rifle you have there... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The UK site I usually refer to for the Enfields seems to be down, so I have to go from memory - and my memory being what it is, could be all wrong. Something tells me that the G.R. indicates that the rifle was built at NRF, formally SSA were my ShtL.E MkIII* was made in 1917..
They also set up the peddle scheme rifles at a new factory, SSA (Standard Small Arms Factory, 1916) which was mismanaged and closed in 1918, later that year it was reorganized and reopened as NRF (National Rifle Factory No1, 1918). This factory began producing parts for rifles, and these parts along with parts form other contractors were assembled into rifles by the BSA and Enfield factories to produce rifles. Total production of SSA and NRF marked rifles remained very low, markings are found on the left rear of the receiver
I found more information at Milsurps.com http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=1 ... e#post5022

You probably know a lot more about these rifles than I do though and have already seen the above references. For sure your MkV is a fairly rare rifle.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Thank you to everyone.

qz2026 yes Milsurps is where I found the little info I did. CandRsenal also has some more info and a comparison of the rear sights of the No1-No4 Enfields.

http://candrsenal.com/rifle-short-magaz ... ield-mk-v/

CandRsenal was also the only place I found any reference to price. It was in the comments a collector mentioned buying one for $200 at LGS in 2008 which was a $1,000 less than it was worth at the time.

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The GR on Enfields indicates that rifle was built during the reign of King George, (George Rex). Earlier ones were marked VR for Queen Victoria, (Victoria Rex).
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Enfield No1 MkV

Post by capt14k »

Longcolt44 wrote:The GR on Enfields indicates that rifle was built during the reign of King George, (George Rex). Earlier ones were marked VR for Queen Victoria, (Victoria Rex).
If I'm not mistaken GRI is for George Rex India.

Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

I'd value that at between 800 and 1200 depending on the market. Really nice one. I found one sportered for 175 and couldn't walk away from it. I'd grab one in the 600 to 700 range quickly, as my restored MKV is more of a place filler.

Sent from my 502SO using Tapatalk
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Enfield No1 MkV

Post by capt14k »

Homer2 wrote:I'd value that at between 800 and 1200 depending on the market. Really nice one. I found one sportered for 175 and couldn't walk away from it. I'd grab one in the 600 to 700 range quickly, as my restored MKV is more of a place filler.

Sent from my 502SO using Tapatalk
That's around what I figured. I based it on repro rear sights sell for $600. Original Mag cutoffs sell for $100.

Then again who knows anymore about values. Auction prices have shocked me lately. In a week we will know for sure [emoji41]

TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very nice and great pics, capt! :thumbsup: :Drool1:

I offered $600 for one once. A 24, I believe. Guy wouldn't go below $800. Maybe two years ago. He had it at multiple shows and I kept trying, but no dice.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

TulaTom wrote:Very nice and great pics, capt! :thumbsup: :Drool1:

I offered $600 for one once. A 24, I believe. Guy wouldn't go below $800. Maybe two years ago. He had it at multiple shows and I kept trying, but no dice.
Was it matching? Did it have the correct rear sight and cutoff? Was it sporterized? The only ones I found that sold recently were sporters one with the sight and one without neither with magazine cutoff. They sold for $500 and $575 on the same forum IIRC.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Not sportered, but the rear sight was incorrect. I believe it had the cutoff, but it was a while ago. I believe everything numbered matched.

He finally sold it on gunbroker. He was a dealer and it was part of an estate.

I want to say qz2026 and I saw one at a guys house over a year ago, but he wanted a ton for it and the guy had lots of rifles, so neither of us studied it. He had some high end Enfield's though. Some high end M1 carbines as well. A paratrooper that was really big bucks.
eric28

Post by eric28 »

This is really beautiful!! Thanks ffor the pictures @capt14k... Couple of questions if you don't mind;
Is the rifle marked DP, EY or ZF anywhere? Is there a star or more than one stamped anywhere on the chamber/barrel?

Just bought one from a local guy few weeks ago. I wanna be sure i didn't pay more than i was supposed to

Thanks
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

eric28 wrote:This is really beautiful!! Thanks ffor the pictures @capt14k... Couple of questions if you don't mind;
Is the rifle marked DP, EY or ZF anywhere? Is there a star or more than one stamped anywhere on the chamber/barrel?

Just bought one from a local guy few weeks ago. I wanna be sure i didn't pay more than i was supposed to

Thanks
No stars no DP, EY , OR ZF

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Are the carbines called anything besides Mk V ? I guess Mk 1 No. V would be right for that one. Or no. 1 Mk V. :vconfused: Call it a cool Enfield :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

steelbuttplate wrote:Are the carbines called anything besides Mk V ? I guess Mk 1 No. V would be right for that one. Or no. 1 Mk V. :vconfused: Call it a cool Enfield :vcool:
The Carbine is more commonly referred to as LEC MKI or Lee Enfield Carbine I have some pics of mine

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

LEC RIC Lee Enfield Carbine Royal Irish Constabulary 1900 LEC MKI*ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:Drool1: Enfield nirvana, I just hit level 3. :vcool: I meant the WW2 carbines, is their name Mk. V ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"