Sestroryetsk On My Mind

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jaytex1969

Sestroryetsk On My Mind

Post by jaytex1969 »

I've been thinking I need to find one of these mythical creatures for my modest collection.

Please tell me what I should look for and what I should expect to offer for one.

I know there are many variables to consider, but help me establish at least a starting point.

Thanks!

Jay
BOHICA
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Sestroryetsk On My Mind

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not that hard to find a Sestroryetsk M91, I found at least four or five over the years. Problem now isn't finding them, it's the high price tags on all the M91's now. Sestroryetsk was making these from the 1890's to 1918, so they are out there, Chatellerault on the other hand would be a challenge.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Most you will find will be Finn's. They usually demand a premium as well. Anymore, we're talking pretty big bucks for one of these. There's one out there right now but priced silly high.
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

Well, I don't feel any wiser yet? :crazy.gif:

QZ, if you don't mind, where should I look to see the one "out there" to begin educating myself?
BOHICA
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I would recommend educating yourself before you start actively purchasing. There is a lot of information here about the particular rifle (M-91) that you are interested in:
M-91 Russian https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/app.php/page/99
M-91 Finn https://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/app.php/page/89

Most Sestroryetsk's will come out of Finland since they captured and purchased a large number of these rifles. Some you will see that came out of the Balkans, as well. In good plus condition, anymore expect to pay up to $1K for these rifles. Sestroryetsk and Chatellerault M-91's demand the highest prices because of their rarity.

You can see the values of these if you do an advanced search for completed items in GunBroker. Then you can search the current listings. But, it is always good to know 1) what you are searching for and 2) what attributes in the rifles caused the prices they got. You need to understand these things before you blindly jump into auctions. That said, the current batch of new buyers and "collectors" blindly shell out crazy money for anything and everything. So, you have to know the real value of what you are bidding on or looking at, set a maximum price you will bid and then be able to walk away. Newbies aren't able to do this. They are possessed,
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

Interesting. I've never seen a wooden crossbolt before!

There's a severely bubba'd SESTRORYETSK on brokegunner right now.

Enough to make you shed tears.
BOHICA
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Well, I don't know what gun you are referring to but, here, we don't share links of active auctions in the open forums.

Wooden cross bolts were the norm with the early M-91's. They eventually realized why their stocks were cracking and started using steel and in the early 20th century they began updating the older models. But, not all were updated for one reason or another. Some got out into the market. A few of us have owned such examples. It wouldn't be a good idea to shoot these. :D

Good luck in your quest.
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

No links shared. Just describing the horror I saw...

No one would need to convince me to not fire a rifle with an ancient wooden crossbolt!
BOHICA
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

We've all seen our share of horrors over the years... :bonk: :bonk:
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

Well, I read up some and took a semi-informed foray into the wild. :bonk:

I found this 1917 example on Simpson's and jumped on it. My recent experience in buying a Swiss 96/11 from them was very positive, so I became a return customer.

SEST1.jpg
SEST2.jpg
SEST3.jpg
SEST4.jpg
SEST5.jpg
SEST6.jpg
https://simpsonltd.com/finland-m91-c47191/

Now the wait.... :music2.gif:

Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOHICA
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

As an added bonus, I just happened to be home and funded for a change when Kroh sent out his "New Stuff" email, so I just scored this:
NE Mosin.jpg
Unbelievable. It's not even my birthday... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOHICA
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Maybe for your birthday you can find a handguard.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

May take several birthdays...
BOHICA
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

jaytex1969 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:05 am May take several birthdays...
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
MongooseLaw

Post by MongooseLaw »

That NEW is pretty cool, always nice to get the original dog collars too. A handguard will run 100+ if you can find one, although you might get lucky at a gun show or something.

The Sestroryetsk wasn't a bad deal, a little high with it being one of the more commonly found years and having a poor bore, hopefully they're wrong and it'll clean up for you.

All in all not bad in today's market, seems like even the Balkan M91s are getting up to 400+
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

I've just decided that everything is high in cost these days and, as I advance in years, I'd prefer to pay a reputable source a bit more and have it delivered.

Shoot, I'd probably have spent $100 in gas over numerous weekends driving around to find stuff like this these days.

I might have a cracked hand guard coming on the cheap. Will share if I do.

Jay
BOHICA