Cannot find upper follower spring

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Yank12

Cannot find upper follower spring

Post by Yank12 »

Hey all,

I'm hunting an upper follower spring and I cannot find ANY.

Frankly, I'm shocked! I can find every. single. other. part. for these things, from multiple countries no less, but not a single for sale example of an upper follower spring.

Are you all cracking these things to pieces and buying them up????
steelbuttplate

Re: Cannot find upper follower spring

Post by steelbuttplate »

I can't find mine either.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Yank12

Post by Yank12 »

They are simple enough, I imagine I could be able to make one. I'm just hung up in the disbelief that they are completely unavailable... lol
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Which piece are you looking for? Click on photo to enlarge it. If you mean the upper spring in the #22, I think you may have to find and buy the whole assembly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Yank12

Post by Yank12 »

Yes - the upper spring is my goal. I believe you may be correct about buying the whole assembly.

Is that a vulnerable part? I've own all sorts of Mosins, handled 100s more, and I have never seen a broken one.... I don't understand how I can find magazine houses, lifters, lower springs, screws..... everything, but not that one spring.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

About 40 years of owning Mosins, tens of thousands of rounds fired, owned 100+ of all types, never had one broken even on the Bubba specials, and rusted Chinese type 53's. The assembly is the only way you are likely to find it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yank12 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:51 am Yes - the upper spring is my goal. I believe you may be correct about buying the whole assembly.

Is that a vulnerable part? I've own all sorts of Mosins, handled 100s more, and I have never seen a broken one.... I don't understand how I can find magazine houses, lifters, lower springs, screws..... everything, but not that one spring.
I've got every part but that one. If your talking about the smallest spring right under the floor plate, try making one from a bobby pin. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Yank12

Post by Yank12 »

Hmmmm thats a good idea, and my girl's bobbypin collection is currently unguarded as she is not yet home from work...

Yall standby - I will see what i can do...
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Yank12 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:32 pm Hmmmm thats a good idea, and my girl's bobbypin collection is currently unguarded as she is not yet home from work...

.....and if you get caught, just blame steelbuttplate and show her his post! :twisted:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffuries wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:36 pm
Yank12 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:32 pm Hmmmm thats a good idea, and my girl's bobbypin collection is currently unguarded as she is not yet home from work...

.....and if you get caught, just blame steelbuttplate and show her his post! :twisted:
how much you think she'd pay to have him whacked? Will she want trophy's?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Whack Steelbuttplate or the OP (Yank12)......?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffuries wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:03 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:56 pm

Whack Steelbuttplate or the OP (Yank12)......?
Double contract, different locations, expensive but doable, if they have to be hit at the same time then a team will be needed. Depends on how much she likes the missing pins.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Hey!!! How many times do I have to tell you guys to not put work in writing???
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Longcolt44 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:31 pm Hey!!! How many times do I have to tell you guys to not put work in writing???
Oops sorry boss.....It wasn't me, JYD started it :whistle:
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Yank12

Post by Yank12 »

lol - she hasn't screwed her .38 into my nose yet!

So... the bobby pin idea sort of worked, but it doesn't really seem durable. I've got a myriad of projects going (I found a cut mosin nagant receiver I'm working on - have you guys ever heard of those???) but I will eventually try to make my copies of that spring. I've done some reading on spring making and it doesn't seem impossible for the hobbyist to accomplish....

I got in trouble here in 2015 for trying to stain a bubba'd mosin stock back to original color... but if you guys are curious about my spring building when I get around to it, I will bring this thread back as a zombie.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

There is a complete follower on Ebay for 20 bucks.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:18 pm There is a complete follower on Ebay for 20 bucks.
:pointup: I would go this route.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Yank12

Post by Yank12 »

millman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:26 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:18 pm There is a complete follower on Ebay for 20 bucks.
I actually have - but I'm not going to have a bag of spares lying around for no reason - thats just a crying shame. I'd sooner attempt and fail, then just let them waste away or sell them on ebay to somebody else who cant find the spring. lol
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yank12 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 am
millman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:26 pm
I actually have - but I'm not going to have a bag of spares lying around for no reason - thats just a crying shame. I'd sooner attempt and fail, then just let them waste away or sell them on ebay to somebody else who cant find the spring. lol
Be ready for one that is intact but may not work right. You may have to combine parts of what you have.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Well, if you want this spring, you'll have to suck it up and buy the assembly. I'm sure that lots of us have complete magazines but we wouldn't be open to selling the parts piece meal. You are not going to find the spring itself for sale unless someone wants to ravage assemblies or magazine they have. And if one of these springs eventually shows up, it won't go cheap, that's for sure. I found an assembly for pretty cheap at Apex https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/bol ... agant.html. So it comes down to, do you want a functioning rifle or not. And why you wouldn't want some spare parts hanging around is beyond me.