Best 357 to get.

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Best 357 to get.

Post by bunkysdad »

The Ruger Blackhawk I mentioned has been available since 1955, then in 1974 changes were made and it became known as the New Model Blackhawk. I would be surprised if another caliber has outsold the .357 in these models. The old models can be identified by the 3 screws on the side of the frame, and these are the models people are speaking of when they say "3-screw Ruger", like the one I snapped a pictue of here. This one has a trigger shoe added for a very comfortable trigger and this pistol was made in 1969. This is one of three Rugers I recently acquired, temporarily while my friend, the owner, is on a trip to Alaska for a few years doing missionary work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sweet Ruger Russell! You honor and represent the Ruger name very well with your avatar.

It looks like it would feel comfortable in the hand and a blast to shoot!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

This is my 2nd 357 rev. And its my favorite so far. Taurus 65 Stainless. The other was a SW but the steel just felt lopsided when I drew and pointed it.

Very well balanced. When you sling it forward to cock it, it feels right.

Very smooth pull and great light trigger. Taurus all the way.

This is my night stand get up and go gun with some load built for a lever action Ranch Hand 357 for antelope hunting.

:toast:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Add a Mosin and a .45 to the every red blooded American list.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
young_gun

Post by young_gun »

JTheBigJay wrote:This is my 2nd 357 rev. And its my favorite so far. Taurus 65 Stainless. The other was a SW but the steel just felt lopsided when I drew and pointed it.

Very well balanced. When you sling it forward to cock it, it feels right.

Very smooth pull and great light trigger. Taurus all the way.

This is my night stand get up and go gun with some load built for a lever action Ranch Hand 357 for antelope hunting.

:toast:
I just bought one of these this week I'm going to the range with it tomorrow got some of the hornady critical defense rounds for it we will see how it goes
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:clap: :clap: :toast:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

:)
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

one of the .357's I have is a real pleasure to carry a Ruger lightweight 2009KLCR 2'' barrel. Has a Titanium 5 shot cyl. with aluminum frame Got it at a Pawn shop like new for $400.00 with 2 holsters and a box of Hornadays thrown in. I will show you a picture soon as I teach myself how to post pictures.I have a kid coming this week to help me learn how to use my new Windows 7 computer.JGC
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Don't feel bad jolly. i don't know how to use them either very good. I started on some junky ones and then tried to have my son help out. He got tired of showing me the same things over and over but i can do some stuff. If you have the pictures on your computer you are not to far from getting them on here.
Have you tried the FAQ section at the bottom? There is a tutorial of how to get the pics on here. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Jolly Green Chopper

Thanks for the tip General The FAQ was helpful I'm Getting the camera set up. By the way my wife just got her N.C. CCH today using my Ruger KLCR lightweight .357 cal. with .38 specials. She had never fired a single round thru it before test. Just my Ruger Mark lll .22 cal the day before at the range. About 500 rounds. The instructor/tester said the Ruger was a perfect hand gun for the beginner and experienced. I have a colt .357 Python that is also hard to beat. Good luck picking your .357. P.S. GLOCK makes A good .357 too'.JGC
Jolly Green Chopper

Also the the Ruger instructionr Manual in the new gun box is the only place I have seen the .357 LCR series printed as the KLCR on the front page.I put that in because someone asked. why they did not see a KLCR listed in their book. Don't know why JGC
The End

Post by The End »

I just bought a 357mag. Ruger SP101 with a 4inch barrel and I love it. Looks great, priced right and built like a tank. I don't think you could go wrong with a Smith or a Ruger. I'm partial to the j-frame for Smith but I don't know if they make 357mag in that frame. Mine are in 38special, I would stay away from Taurus unless that's all you can absolutely afford. I owned a few, one in 357mag and I sold them all. -Don
Pads are not meant for Mosin rifles, they are meant for a woman's monthlies!
Jolly Green Chopper

Colt made a 2'' full size .357 6 shot " Trooper" model back in the early and mid 70's can't remember the model number but I had one for awhile it's another one to avoid. Just to big and heavy. Looks and feels good but I traded it. It was good for lighting campfires with that short barrel but no fun to carry. Can't imagine an officer using it undercover very long.Must not have been very successful for colt I didn't see it in my Illustrated Encyclopedia of Pistols and Revolvers .
Irishman

Post by Irishman »

Here is another way to look at it!!! Colt Python is the best, smith and Wesson next, then Ruger......if however one was to think of all three combined you have the following.....Cadillac escalade, Gmc Yukon, Chevrolet Tahoe......all v8's, same to towing etc, etc.... Revolver of choice is based on budget and if you don't get freaked out about the possabilty of a scratch or so do as I did.......the workhorse.....the Ruger.
It is like having a 4x4 you don't feel shy of using. Mine is a 6 inch stainless steel, pure tank and solid as all hell. I would love a Colt, but can buy more ammo and have same results with the Ruger. Lastly, if looking at the receiving end the intimidation factor is the exact same, big old piece of steel and six full cylinders (unless the smith). I love how even still folks at the range stop when the .357 goes boom
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

IMG_0157 .357 magnums.JPG
I read every post in this thread and will add my thoughts one last time. Avenger there are a lot of great .357's out there and a few others to choose from. I said in an earlier post I still had the S@W model 66 I bought when I turned 21 and my son will most likely inherit this revolver. I was passed down my fathers carry gun, I'm happy it had a Smith and Wesson emblem on the side, I would imagine someday your son would like to say the same.
I get out in the back country all the time and do carry a .357 when off roading, hiking, riding, just another tool I bring along. My personal choice is the Smith and Wesson model 19 I picked up a few years ago, target hammer and target trigger,classic wonderful S&W action, great balance, accurate, not too bulky, stuck my late fathers 50 year old factory rosewood grips on it, all around a great feeling revolver. I have owned Ruger's, lived in the town where they are made for ten years, but since I can only holster one revolver I have let them all go and keep the model 19 on my side. Colts are great also, getting pricey, great revolver, though I still carry my Smith and Wesson.
Now from time to time in Arizona you will see a truck with a Glock sticker, the Ruger emblem is very prominent, and of course "Insured by Smith and Wesson" is an all time classic sticker on a bumper. Never have seen a Taurus bumper sticker and in closing, have you ever seen anyone with a Taurus belt buckle?
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :biggrin: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JTheBigJay

Post by JTheBigJay »

From all these responses the answer to the question "best 357 to get" might be "One that has a trigger"..
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Jolly Green Chopper wrote:one of the .357's I have is a real pleasure to carry a Ruger lightweight 2009KLCR 2'' barrel. Has a Titanium 5 shot cyl. with aluminum frame Got it at a Pawn shop like new for $400.00 with 2 holsters and a box of Hornadays thrown in. I will show you a picture soon as I teach myself how to post pictures.I have a kid coming this week to help me learn how to use my new Windows 7 computer.JGC

I think Winblows 7 stinks. Vista is even worse. I like XP but my last machine with it puked a month ago. I run Linux on two of them so I can get around 7 and Vista. Heck a free OS is good with me. Win 8 is due out soon, seems that every other version is good but 7 seems to have broken that record. Oh well, a .357 would be more fun, and use it on a PC with Vista!!
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.