Ruger .38 Value

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Boi1901

Ruger .38 Value

Post by Boi1901 »

I need to buy a Ruger service six in .38 special and I saw one for $799. What do you think it's worth?

It has holster wear ,but seems to be in good condition.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Ruger .38 Value

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Last year I would have said maybe three hundred, probably less with the wear, this is far from Ruger's highest priced revolver. That said, these are not normal times, we are seeing people pay over a dollar a round for .38 special waddcutters. Friend of mine saw that last weekend at a Florida flea market, not only saw it, but watched as somebody bought them. Any kind of gun seems to have become gold overnight, and I have no idea how long this situation will last.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That sounds high to me. I got a brand new S&W 638 .38 for $400. I would think a used Service Six wouldn't be any/much more than that. I get they they are steel, and perhaps a bit collectible, but still.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

What state is the revolver located, that's still on the high side for a Ruger?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I would shop around some more.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Boi1901

Post by Boi1901 »

I was thinking it was high, I was just seeing if the prices sky rocketed or not.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Boi1901 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:01 pm I was thinking it was high, I was just seeing if the prices sky rocketed or not.
They have, and pretty much everywhere on everything firearms, ammo, guns, reloading gear and components.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Boi1901 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:01 pm I was thinking it was high, I was just seeing if the prices sky rocketed or not.
They have, and pretty much everywhere on everything firearms, ammo, guns, reloading gear and components.
Attended a gun show yesterday in AZ (could be one of the last real shows) lots of prices in that range, I did not see many buyers only a lot of very over priced firearms.

Realistically that Ruger revolver could have been had at this show for between four and five hundred, the dealers were still mostly inline with the current new gun market, many private sellers on the other hand were delusional. Because somebody is asking $899.00 for a Nagant revolver does not mean they are worth anything close to that. Yes I did see a 1895 Nagant Revolver on a table with $899.00 on it, seller said he was "open" to offers.

Cash is still king, friend made an offer on a $1100.00 Marlin Camp Carbine, the rifle was his for $680.00 and worked great yesterday in the desert. I saw 440 round span cans of 7.62x54R for between $300.00 and $500.00 dollars
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

etprescottazusa91 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:05 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:46 pm
Attended a gun show yesterday in AZ (could be one of the last real shows) lots of prices in that range, I did not see many buyers only a lot of very over priced firearms.

Realistically that Ruger revolver could have been had at this show for between four and five hundred, the dealers were still mostly inline with the current new gun market, many private sellers on the other hand were delusional. Because somebody is asking $899.00 for a Nagant revolver does not mean they are worth anything close to that. Yes I did see a 1895 Nagant Revolver on a table with $899.00 on it, seller said he was "open" to offers.

Cash is still king, friend made an offer on a $1100.00 Marlin Camp Carbine, the rifle was his for $680.00 and worked great yesterday in the desert. I saw 440 round span cans of 7.62x54R for between $300.00 and $500.00 dollars
The problem isn't us paying these prices, it's the people who have no guns before this time, but must have one now at any cost. They are paying these prices. Yesterday I am told by a guy I know that a coworker of his paid $200 for a single box of 25 rounds 12 gauge birdshot, and he does not even own a 12 gauge shotgun, or any gun yet. Other friends of mine report similar, not only seeing these prices, but then watching as people fork over the cash. With that going on we will not see the old prices again, and all of us are now material rich with our ammo and gun hoards. I could pick up the phone and make twenty grand right now just selling off the extra junk I would never miss. I will not be part of this shit, if my friends, and people I trust need weapons when the balloon goes up I will throw open the armory and say have at it. I can only carry maybe three weapons on me, and shoot only one at a time. None of my friends are the sort who need to be armed, or who would pay insane prices. The last one without a weapon ( but with extensive military weapons training) acquired a pump 12 gauge weeks ago at reasonable cost ( by luck)
Theodore Roosevelt