Front sight stuck

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Ponder_Md

Front sight stuck

Post by Ponder_Md »

Hi all,

I have a new-to-me 1948 Izhevsk M44. Although it groups reasonably tight, it shoots way to the left.
I bought an Elby sight tool but it wouldn't budge. I applied heat, Kroil and a drift and it still won't budge. This is the wider base.

Also, I observe a small pin in the sight base. Does that mean that the base and sight can be removed for maintenance? Obviously this hasn't been apart for 73 years. The rifle is clean, with no corrosion.

Let me know what you think.
steelbuttplate

Re: Front sight stuck

Post by steelbuttplate »

Ponder_Md wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:46 pm Hi all,

I have a new-to-me 1948 Izhevsk M44. Although it groups reasonably tight, it shoots way to the left.
I bought an Elby sight tool but it wouldn't budge. I applied heat, Kroil and a drift and it still won't budge. This is the wider base.

Also, I observe a small pin in the sight base. Does that mean that the base and sight can be removed for maintenance? Obviously this hasn't been apart for 73 years. The rifle is clean, with no corrosion.

Let me know what you think.
My '53 Polish front sight won't move with everything you tried plus a big hammer and cussing. I gave up and bent the front post a little to sight in. :bonk:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
House Beagle

Post by House Beagle »

Before you try anything drastic, maybe try with the bayonet extended next time. I know this can sometimes fix POA/POI issues with 91/30s, not sure how it works with m44s but it’s worth a shot (pun intended)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These were apparently sighted in with bayonet deployed. Have you shot it that way, and if so what were the results. It did have a noticeable impact on some of my M44's target groupings. Sometimes these sights are super tight, over tight to start with, plus staked in place.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt