New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Ponder_Md

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Ponder_Md »

Hi all, this is my intro post.

I recently purchased a fairly nice, 1948 Izhevsk M44. Not new to firearms but new to Mosins. I'm drinking from a firehose, learning the history and how they work. It's fascinating stuff!

I'm not looking to modify anything but I do have a question about the front sight which I'll post in the appropriate forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lexman

Post by lexman »

I am the new owner of a 1946 M44. The weapon is in very good shape and I am looking forward to shooting it as soon as I can find and purchase some ammo.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Hello MN enthusiasts,
Sorry, this is actually my second post- I missed this.
I am joining the forum at the wrong time in my collecting career. Due to age (75) and physical limitations, I am not shooting much any more and when I look to the future, I can only see my heirs tearing their hair out disposing of the stuff that I have accumulated.
I have about 8 Finns including an M27, an M28, and an M28-76.
I also have about 6 MNs, but nothing very special-no US made MNs, No Sestryoetzks, no Chattellrauts- mostly Izhevks and a few Tulas.
Most of these will go to a dealer with whom I am consulting- but I plan to keep a few. I really don’t want to face the hassle of selling these on the collector market
I still enjoy reading about military rifles and especially enjoy the Finns, so I will be haunting these pages.
DocAitch
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Hi Doc,

I hope you are a shrink because a lot of the oldtimers around here need one..... Desperately. I could probably benefit from a little tune-up myself from time to time.

Welcome to the forum. We like reading about and talking about the rifles as well. I am approaching the time where I need to thin the herd so as to not leave my wife with a big mess. I am fortunate to have two, very good, nationally known auction houses near me that will take anything from a single rifle to a boat-load and do a good job marketing and selling them.

Enjoy poking around the site, there is some good stuff in some of the dusty corners. When you get a minute, post us up some pictures. Some of the folks around here, as well as being a bit nutty, do better with pictures than words. And no Mike, I am too polite to mention names. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ismith

Post by ismith »

Hey everyone! Pretty sure I was a forum member long ago, sold off most of my guns and now looking to replace some. What is the holy grail Mosin?
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

ismith wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:19 pm Hey everyone! Pretty sure I was a forum member long ago, sold off most of my guns and now looking to replace some. What is the holy grail Mosin?
I am brand new on this forum also, and there are certainly experts galore here, but my feeling is that the Finn M28-76 is rare and desirable, the Westinghouse and New England Electric manufactured ones are very desirable, followed by Chatellerault, Sestroryetsk and down the line. Certain Finns are also more desirable M 27, M28.
DocAitch
Landwehr1913

Post by Landwehr1913 »

Hi all, I am just jumping ship from Gunboards. I have been collecting military surplus firearms for around 2 1/2 years now but I was just informed about the Russian Mosin Nagant Forum. I figured I would share the two Mosin Nagants I have in my collection at the moment. I primarily collect firearms from around the time period of the first world war but like any good collection I have atleast one 91/30. Thanks for taking a look.

Left.
M1891/30 Mosin Nagant
Izhevsk
Ex Dragoon
Force matched

Right.
M1891 Mosin Nagant
Sestroryetsk
Finnish Rework
Non matching
Interesting bit of "trench art" etched into the stock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
arky65

Post by arky65 »

arky65 checkin' in.

Recently dug the M38 out of the back corner and dusted it off, thought I would rejoin forum for a refresher.

Place looks a little different, for the better since I was last here.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

arky65 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:31 am arky65 checkin' in.

Recently dug the M38 out of the back corner and dusted it off, thought I would rejoin forum for a refresher.

Place looks a little different, for the better since I was last here.
Well, Everyone will be back shortly!
The forums crashed yesterday and I just got them back up again. You are the first to post after.

But I would love to see some photos of the M38. I LOVE carbines!

Welcome back to the forums!!!

Darryl
Commissar_Grub

Post by Commissar_Grub »

Hi everyone,

I recently aquired a couple Izhevsk from 1944 that were refurbished before being coated in cosmoline and crated.
Nothing amazing about them for collectors, but I still want to know a bit more about what their current state and markings can tell about their career.
I hope that the knowledgeable people of the forum will be able to help me in this task.

Gonna open up a dedicated post in the adequate section with pics.

Cheers
Sinokai

Post by Sinokai »

Hi everyone,

I Just bought a Mosin Nagant M44 still waiting for transfering which was made by Izhevsk Small Arms Factory in 1948.
I just registered this form through online research because I try to get more information about this gun.
I hope that the knowledgeable people of the forum will help me to know more about Mosin Nagant because I want to get more Mosin in the future.
I just post some pictures which the seller send to me first. when I got this gun will post more photos.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Welcome, when you get more pictures just post them to the regular Mosin forum. In the meantime feel free to read up on the posts and knowledge base to help you out in your collecting.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SmokeEater2

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a few days reading up on a Finn M39 that had caught my eye at a local GS. I really don't know much about Mosin rifles but that M39 was just cool so I started a web search and found these forums and found a lot of useful information.

So, Long story short I called the shop this morning and claimed the rifle and I'll be picking it up in a few days as soon as I have a spare minute.

Thank you all for the information you've provided to a Mosin newb. :toast:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

SmokeEater2 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:20 pm Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a few days reading up on a Finn M39 that had caught my eye at a local GS. I really don't know much about Mosin rifles but that M39 was just cool so I started a web search and found these forums and found a lot of useful information.

So, Long story short I called the shop this morning and claimed the rifle and I'll be picking it up in a few days as soon as I have a spare minute.

Thank you all for the information you've provided to a Mosin newb. :toast:
Show it to us when you get it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

PICS, PICS, PICS.................
AFX98

Post by AFX98 »

Hey all. Just bought my first Mosin yesterday, a '48 Soviet M44. Love the rifle, it's in great shape mechanically in spite of the condition of the stock, which I think gives it character anyway.

I made some mistakes buying it though, mostly due to a lack of knowledge and too much enthusiasm, something I hope to correct by joining this forum.

Not the enthusiasm, of course.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice one. I don't see anything wrong with it .
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
AFX98

Post by AFX98 »

millman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:51 am Nice one. I don't see anything wrong with it .
Thanks. I'm blown away at how clean and well-machined the internals are. I guess when you don't have a war to worry about, you can pay attention to the details.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

AFX98 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:13 pm
millman wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:51 am Nice one. I don't see anything wrong with it .
Thanks. I'm blown away at how clean and well-machined the internals are. I guess when you don't have a war to worry about, you can pay attention to the details.
Nice rifle. 1948's are a little nicer on the machining, but are about the same firing.

Nice one and welcome!

Darryl
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Your right, you shouldn't have bought that. Sell it to me quick :Drool1:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"