m91/30 with 1928 year stamp????

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Michel_Guerard

m91/30 with 1928 year stamp????

Post by Michel_Guerard »

I recently bought what was billed as a Hex receiver m91/30. However when I received the rifle, it appears to be dated 1928 (although the stamping of the 21 looks suspicious) and the markings on the receiver do not appear to match anything that I have found regarding m91/30. Can anyone help me with identifying what this is exactly?

thanks

Michel Guerard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: m91/30 with 1928 year stamp????

Post by millman »

Looks like a 1928 Izhevsk ex dragoon. It started life as a dragoon rifle and was updated to 91/30 standard. Nice rifle.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Looks like a typical refurbished ex dragoon to me in a laminated stock. I don't see any weird stampings on it. Looks like an ok piece to me. For S&G's what is stamped on the underside of the tang? Sometimes during the converting process from dragoon configuration (done prior to the refurbishment I suspect), the original receivers were replaced... It might or might not be the original receiver.
Michel_Guerard

Post by Michel_Guerard »

Thank you for the information. I just could not find anywhere a 1928 Izhevsk that had similar markings. by the way, here is a picture of the underside of the tang.

cheers
Michel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Michel_Guerard wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:06 pm Thank you for the information. I just could not find anywhere a 1928 Izhevsk that had similar markings. by the way, here is a picture of the underside of the tang.

cheers
Michel
It looks like your rifle has the original receiver. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The markings on your rifle are pretty standard. The stamp to the right of the Soviet Crest indicates the arsenal that refurbished the rifle.
Michel_Guerard

Post by Michel_Guerard »

Again thanks for the information. After I posted my query I had a good look at webpage that had the different markings for Soviet M91 rifles and varianbts. My confusion related to markings indicating post-1928 Izhevsk rifles and pre-1928 rifles. I was only looking at the post 1928 markings. Indeed it is identical to the pre-1928 Izhevsk rifles. Further, I noticed that the loop of the numeral 2 is closed in pre-1928 rifles but is not closed in post-1928 rifles. Finally, had I taking more care and looked at the cyrillic spelling of Izhevsk I would have realized that the top work on the receiver just below the Soviet emblem is a form of Izhevsk (the last two characters being extra to the spelling of Izhesvk and thus must have a meaning in Russian...unfortunately I am not a Russian scholar). Looking forward to degreasing the rifle and taking it to the range. I am new to the Mosin Nagant and learning everyday.

cheers
moose1971

Post by moose1971 »

i have a 1926 with nearly the exact same markings and all fonts match except the bolt MAY have been ground but looks alot like original with the closed 2. it May have all matching serials but im no expert. its in great condition. the head/ extrator section of bolt has a tula mark as does one of the stock retaining rings. barrel looks great as well. i still have problems with sticky bolt after 5-6 round. cleaned the hell out of it . it still does it but i only have laquered steel that i shoot. ammos scare for it now. shots 2 in groups off the bench with wolf 145grn. nice gun!
rired

Post by rired »

I have a 1928 also which looks identical to yours. does any one know what the T. after the date signifies
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

rired wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:45 am I have a 1928 also which looks identical to yours. does any one know what the T. after the date signifies
It's an г or a boxy/squarish looking r and is short for "года" ("of the year"). So it means a rifle made in/of the year 1928.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ditchtiger

Post by ditchtiger »

I have one also. Look at the base of the rear site base. On these converts there is a square notch that can be seen from either end.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

moose1971 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:47 pm i have a 1926 with nearly the exact same markings and all fonts match except the bolt MAY have been ground but looks alot like original with the closed 2. it May have all matching serials but im no expert. its in great condition. the head/ extrator section of bolt has a tula mark as does one of the stock retaining rings. barrel looks great as well. i still have problems with sticky bolt after 5-6 round. cleaned the hell out of it . it still does it but i only have laquered steel that i shoot. ammos scare for it now. shots 2 in groups off the bench with wolf 145grn. nice gun!
I made a tool today to clean chamber faces today and fixed a years old problem I've had with a nice Polish Mosin that got sticky w/ some ammo. Take any of the dremmel brushes, not steel, mine is nylon, wrap about 2 wraps of electric tape on the shaft and it will fit the tip end section of a cleaning rod. Cleans that area like nothing else I've tried. Carb cleaner good for this.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"