Need Helping! CAI Import Marking on Finnish M39?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Willchef

Need Helping! CAI Import Marking on Finnish M39?

Post by Willchef »

Hi everyone I'm looking to add a Finnish M39 Civil Guard rifle to my collection. There is one currently for sale that has all the correct Finnish markings and such, however, the Century Arms International import mark on the barrel doesn't line up with the info from 7.62x54r.net for what it should have. If you see in the attached photo the first line of the import mark shows "C.A.I. ST ALB VT" According to 7.62x54r.net the first line of the import mark should have been marked "CAI ST. A. VT."

Is this a big concern regarding the authenticity of the rifle or is this a simple mismark? 7.62x54r.net indicates that CAI mismarked M28s as M27s on their import marks, I wonder if this is what happened on the M39 I want to buy.

Thanks guys for your input and help in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need Helping! CAI Import Marking on Finnish M39?

Post by millman »

The stamper was probably drunk that day. That tiny segment of rifle looks fine.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Willchef

Post by Willchef »

millman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:54 pm The stamper was probably drunk that day. That tiny segment of rifle looks fine.
:lol: I was thinking on similar lines, but it did give me pause on an otherwise very nice rifle.
ww2_bf_finland

Post by ww2_bf_finland »

Just curious, how much for M39 SkY? Must be rare in the USA/Can.
IG: ww2_battlefront_finland
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

These things are going for a fortune anymore. Over the last year they have doubled in price - About $800 now and some are selling for more - a couple over $1K. The newbies are driving the market now.

I wouldn't worry at all about the importer stampings. I've never considered an import mark as being something to judge authenticity about. I can give you tons of examples of Century mistakes in their stampings and changes to their stampings over the years. Frankly, I've never seen a "ST A." stamp before. I've always seen ST ALB VT or GEORGIA VT in the past. With Century, more than any other importer, you can expect to find just about anything on their import stamps. It all depends on what year they stamped it and WHO stamped it...
Willchef

Post by Willchef »

qz2026 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:59 am These things are going for a fortune anymore. Over the last year they have doubled in price - About $800 now and some are selling for more - a couple over $1K. The newbies are driving the market now.

I wouldn't worry at all about the importer stampings. I've never considered an import mark as being something to judge authenticity about. I can give you tons of examples of Century mistakes in their stampings and changes to their stampings over the years. Frankly, I've never seen a "ST A." stamp before. I've always seen ST ALB VT or GEORGIA VT in the past. With Century, more than any other importer, you can expect to find just about anything on their import stamps. It all depends on what year they stamped it and WHO stamped it...
Thanks for the feedback. I figured it was a simple stamper mistake but my knowledge is a lot thinner on mosins then garands and carbines so I wanted to double check.