Strange 1891/30 PU Find

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
mgrs

Strange 1891/30 PU Find

Post by mgrs »

I am not very familiar with PU rifles and found this oddly marked rifle locally.

The rifle matches itself, but does not match the scope. The scope mount is electro-penciled with the rifle's S/N and the scope S/N. There is a third lined-out serial number on the left side of the receiver. Optics are clear and the scope, which is "1891/30" marked appears to work as it should.

At first I thought it may be a recent fake, but seems more characteristic of postwar rebuilds after doing some research.

Unfortunately someone (perhaps the exporter?) lasered a bunch of markings all over it, and the importer (PW Arms) has one of the worst import marks I have ever seen.

What is the story on this group of imports?

Bore is excellent and appears as new looking down it, with sharp lands and a visible leade. Under a bore scope, there is no heat cracking and the reamer marks are still there were the throat was cut. Some pin-prick pitting near the chamber that is only visible with a bore scope and not enough to make it look 'frosty'. The bore condition was part of why I thought it might be faked, as it is difficult to believe a 1943 rifle exists with this little evidence of firing.

Thanks

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Strange 1891/30 PU Find

Post by Darryl »

Looks like a typical Tulsky import.

Referbished post war but a real sniper rifle.

What you are calling "Laser etched" is actually electro pencil in the arsenal after WWII during referbishment.
It's basically a vibrating unit that has a hardened tip. It's why it looks so "shaky".

The serial numbers on a sniper rifle never match the scope numbers. The scope numbers on the side of the barrel shank may match the scope. but in your case, the scope numbers have been lined out indicating the scope has been changed by the arsenal at some time.
Your scope number is 48856 and the shank number (lined out) is ?11542?.

So the scope on it is a replacement scope. May have been changed during WWII (damaged) or post war during refurb.

But it is a real sniper rifle.

Dolk
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Tulsky rifles are nice.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Yep, like Dolk said one of the latter batches of imports that came in about 7-8 years ago. Shoot it and enjoy it sir, they are a blast to shoot, and it isn't often you can shoot a Legit WW2 sniper.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
mgrs

Post by mgrs »

Thanks all for the responses. Glad to hear there is nothing off about it.

By 'laser engraving' I was referring to the clearly modern proof and other markings that have been placed all over the receiver area such as the symbols and "Made in Russia" "7.62x54" "1891/30" etc. Really unfortunate that was done on a rifle this clean.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Those markings were put on the rifle by the exporter and importer. It is sad but you will find in your further collecting some countries have different rules on what is required on firearms before they leave their respective countries.The etchings you referred to are also required by our own BATFE. Size and placement are up to the exporter and importer, some are descrete and others are billboards.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Longcolt44 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:17 pm Those markings were put on the rifle by the exporter and importer. It is sad but you will find in your further collecting some countries have different rules on what is required on firearms before they leave their respective countries.The etchings you referred to are also required by our own BATFE. Size and placement are up to the exporter and importer, some are descrete and others are billboards.
Longcolt is indeed correct about the markings I myself have a mosin that has a nice giant billboard mark on it. By the same token I have a k31 and a M24/47 that have import marks more like this. It's a crap shoot and all depends on the importer.

Jeronimo62

Post by Jeronimo62 »

I agree with Darryl, a very nicely arsenal mated sniper rifle! Yes, PW Arms wanted to make a name for themselves all over the gun!!
I'm the lucky owner of a '44 Izhevsk PU sniper from an early batch from Molot/IO Inc. IO has it etched discretely on the bottom of the fore end of the barrel. The Molot etchings are noticeable, but more discrete just aft of the PU mount. I hope you enjoy the rifle as much as I enjoy shooting mine!
The only negative is that I need still need a range scope to see if I hit anything!! I guess that's why snipers have spotters!
"He who laughs last, didn't get the joke" :chuckles:
Westwood

Post by Westwood »

Hate to comment on an old thread, but I have the sister #HB6009 Mine is also an Tulsky refurb and it is seriously in like new condition inside and out.