Bad Timing

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
tjtM38

Bad Timing

Post by tjtM38 »

I picked a bad time to start reloading .223 Remington. I can't find any primers anywhere other than Gunbroker (I call it "Gunbreaker") and I refuse to pay the price those scalpers are asking. If I have to pay $250 for a case of 1000 primers, what's the point in even reloading. By the way, it's not just primers. The local gun stores here are very short on pistol and rifle propellants. What was common in the store at the first of year is now out of stock and no backorder, so getting any components other than possibly cartridge cases has become difficult, if not impossible.
House Beagle

Re: Bad Timing

Post by House Beagle »

Very bad timing indeed. Same in my neck of the woods. Thinking about buying a replica Kentucky long rifle so I can actually take something to the range
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Hopefully after the national uncertainty resolves itself things can catch back up. It seems as if each subsequent panic buy has become worse than the previous one. Hoarding and scalping is all of the rage.

I am being stingy in using up my 9mm. Last week, my brother came over to test a new pistol he had bought. We shot that, and he wanted to shoot my Sig. So I handed him the Sig, with a full magazine, and he must not have heard me tell him not to do a mag dump with it. He popped of 22 rounds before you could say, don't do it. My son caught my eye and gave me a shit-eating grin....and I am gritting my teeth and trying to be nice. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

We are buying ammo from our customers just to have something on the shelves. Our main suppliers are not getting any help from their suppliers.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I’m thinking about whether to try to buy more small pistol primers or just load what I have left, buy bullets for the 45ACP and load 3,000 rounds of that instead. I might be shooting the 1911 more for a while and limiting use of my 9mm for proficiency practice. To conserve 9mm ammo, I load the mags at home.

This was the result with my P320 Sunday at 10 yards. If I’d slowed down a little, I’d have gotten a tighter pattern. 30 shots-10 rounds per magazine. Only flyer was the hit on the 8 ring. I go through a lot of targets-change every time I change guns.

Powder I have plenty of. Bought out another local reloaded and have plenty on hand. Bought a bunch of 7mm bullets and I don’t even have a rifle chambered in 7mm (yet). I figured I’d buy up whatever he had that I thought I might need someday. Got several thousand large rifle primers in stores and 3,000 large pistol primers. I need to buy more 30-06 brass and bullets. Might be time to give Joe a call and go visit him-he’s just up the road from me.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

You can buy powder now from the Hodgdon and IMR sights. The last time I looked they had popular powders back in stock. But, who knows for how long since much of what they sell is either made in Canada or Australia. I bought a couple pounds of H4895. Good luck on the primers...
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I just bought directly from their site. Pretty simple. I can either post a notice at the club for trade or pay the premium on GB. Right now, I’m looking at possibly getting a Swiss 1911 Carbine to go with my engineer’s bayonet or a couple of other options.