What do my mosin friends do for a profession???

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
srtjeeplover95

What do my mosin friends do for a profession???

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Hello,

I am Chris. I am 25 years old and I live near Detroit Michigan USA. I love all world war 2 stuff as it always fascinated me as a kid. I use to be a big German collector but settled down quite a bit after some life changes (good ones).

I work for the auto industry for a German company that makes transmissions and airbags??

So what do you all do for a living?

I'm also into cars, classic BMWs, and guitars, as well as aviation (aircraft drones)

Seems like most of us have the same circle of Interests... We must be sewn from the same cloth... Or same Ushanka. Lots of very smart people on this forum who are very knowledgeable about things. I'm sure many doctors, lawyers, tradespeople, veterans and retired people as well 😀

Veterans thank you for your service!

Now I wait :3Dpop:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: What do my mosin friends do for a profession???

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

37 years in scrap metal here in New York. Collecting martial arms over 40 years. I collect cool old shit, that encompasses a lot, cars, trucks, tools, pocket watches, Victrola spring powered phonographs, and numerous other things. I shot tens of thousands of rounds, but for me it's about the history, I could care less how well a milsurp shoots or if it doesn't shoot at all. If I just must print a tiny group in the middle of a target I have commercial hunting rifles for that. Most milsurps do perform surprisingly well despite age and wear.

Detroit still burning? Friend of mine visited Detroit a few years ago, on the way into town they passed a police officer holding a suspect at gunpoint right there on the side of the road, welcome to Detroit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

Retired
Trucker
Driver
Construction Teamster
Part time Dock-master on fishing pier
I’m an accumulator, I don’t have enough of anything to be a collector. I have Harley parts that I will never use, but I still want them. Same for flathead ford parts and guns I will never shoot. I love History, at one time I was a war between the states re-enactor
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:14 am 37 years in scrap metal here in New York. Collecting martial arms over 40 years. I collect cool old shit, that encompasses a lot, cars, trucks, tools, pocket watches, Victrola spring powered phonographs, and numerous other things. I shot tens of thousands of rounds, but for me it's about the history, I could care less how well a milsurp shoots or if it doesn't shoot at all. If I just must print a tiny group in the middle of a target I have commercial hunting rifles for that. Most milsurps do perform surprisingly well despite age and wear.

Detroit still burning? Friend of mine visited Detroit a few years ago, on the way into town they passed a police officer holding a suspect at gunpoint right there on the side of the road, welcome to Detroit.

Very cool stuff! I'm into watches as well. 1980s bulovas and seikos. I am actually looking into restoring a old RCA radio from the 1930s
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I am presently a Deputy Clerk for the Clerk of the Superior Court in Pima County, Arizona (15 years). Spent a year driving over the road buses. Spent ten years working as a passenger train conductor with the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (paid employment). My parents have been private pilots for over 25 years and owned several aircraft, so I grew up around general aviation. Current family airplane is a 1981 Cessna 414A that we've owned over 25 years. Heaviest vehicle I've ever operated was a 130 ton diesel electric locomotive with 200 tons trailing. I've run diesel electric locomotives and steam locomotives under supervision and driven all sorts of trolleys. I've been active in historic railway preservation since I was a teenager. Most fun I've had was a while back, driving a Chicago Transit Authority El train on the main line at the Illinois Railway Museum. Got to run the entire length of the main line at maximum authorized speed (40 mph).

Current hobbies are collecting military surplus firearms and working on historic vehicles. I've been with Old Pueblo Trolley, Inc. since 2007. Old Pueblo Trolley is a non-profit educational corporation that is dedicated to the preservation of Arizona transportation history. I started as a motorman on the Street Railway Division, driving streetcars. I advanced quickly to Instructor, Check Motorman and then actually managed our training program. I've been on the museum's Board of Directors since 2010. When street railway operations wound down in 2011-2012, I moved over to the Bus Division. The Bus Division maintains and restores vehicles in our Bus Collection. The collection currently consists of approximately forty buses that have a documented Arizona service history. 38 are transit buses and 2 are highway buses. One bus (a 1938 Yellow Coach Model 1204) has been completely restored and two others are under restoration. My project is Old Pueblo Transit Company No. 135, our General Motors 1060 TGH-3102. Photos and information on it can be found on the "Other Hobbies" page.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Grew up as an Air Force brat with a career Air Force dad, so knowing nothing else I joined the Air Force and made it a 23 year career.

Growing up in Europe and Japan due to dad's career, I developed a love of military history and history in general. It's one thing to read about history in a book, but when you can walk in the footsteps of history it's different.

While in the Air Force I picked up a few helmets here and there and that started my Militaria collection. When my wife talked me into buying a Turkish Mauser in Jan 2011 that started me on the Milsurp collecting path.

Prior to the Turkish Mauser purchase, we had my GGFs shotgun and 2 CZ-83s. Now there is 44 guns or so in the house. Oh how she regrets her insistance now.......LOL.

So I'm retired Air Force and retired Air Force Civil Service (ART) forced to retire at 100% disability at age 42. So I don't work, don't keep a schedule, half the time I can't you what day of the month it is. I do as I please pretty much within reason......

As long as I'm breathing, I'm getting paid to do nothing but drive CINC Household insane, so not a bad racket.
Last edited by ffuries on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I sit on my fat ass and draw a government check. In my former life I was a plumber.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I retired from the title insurance business. Was a general contractor then left Calif to come East 20 years ago and found milsurps. Currently, I work for the oldest gun shop in the Cincinnati area. Mostly to pay off my gun habit.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:54 pm I sit on my fat ass and draw a government check. In my former life I was a plumber.
:pointup: Other then the Plumber part! :chuckles:

Semi Truck Driver(4 years) >

Started out as a shop Iron Worker (21 years) and moved up to IT Director/facility mgr (20 years)
Total of 41 years.

Darryl
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

I read them all! All very good professions and life paths taken here. Lots of wisdom :thumbsup:
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:14 am 37 years in scrap metal here in New York. Collecting martial arms over 40 years. I collect cool old shit, that encompasses a lot, cars, trucks, tools, pocket watches, Victrola spring powered phonographs, and numerous other things. I shot tens of thousands of rounds, but for me it's about the history, I could care less how well a milsurp shoots or if it doesn't shoot at all. If I just must print a tiny group in the middle of a target I have commercial hunting rifles for that. Most milsurps do perform surprisingly well despite age and wear.

And Detroit still stinks. The Riots I believe are settled down but still it's a crazy city. I love Detroit tho lots of history I get to see my favorite building when I go.

Detroit Masonic Temple.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I was a speculator mostly, then did some work in statistics. Now I'm an antique violin resurectionist.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Parts and service manager. Been doing it going on twenty five years. The only other thing I like to collect is guitars.

Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Jallukola

Post by Jallukola »

I'm a mechanical design engineer, I design paper machines for a Finnish company with some name in firearms business too.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I am a retired USAF officer and pilot.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

My first real job (as in paid taxes) was at an auto parts store when I was 17 years old in 2012. They hired me straight to the counter. Rare then, unheard of now. Most people start in inventory or delivery, but I knew my stuff with cars so they gave me a chance and I seized it.

I left when I was 18 and went to college. I spent four years getting a bachelor's of science in classic car history and restoration learning most everything that a person can about everything relating to old cars. I've always been into old cars and have a small collection of my own. It was heaven and I enjoyed every minute of it. I went into the classic car restoration industry after I graduated but I left after only six months with a sour taste in my mouth that I've never been able to wash out. What a shitshow that was. Don't even get me started. I'll just say that for all the begging that the "old guard" of the classic car industry does for new, young people to learn the skills and join, they sure treat those young people like total garbage when they do.

I was better paid and better respected as an uneducated grunt in high school pushing spark plugs and air filters over a counter, so that's what I went back to and I've been there every since. I crawled back to the same store that I started at when I was 17 and asked for my job back. They were glad to have me. A few promotions and pay raises later and I can't complain. I've helped this store grow to one of the largest stores by sales volume in the U.S. and it's grown me in return. I haven't worked less than 40 hours a week for several years, even all through COVID-19. Still can't afford my own house, but that's called being 25 in this modern America. One day that will change. We will make sure of it.

So yeah. Long story short: auto parts store management.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AMCHornet wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:51 am My first real job (as in paid taxes) was at an auto parts store when I was 17 years old in 2012. They hired me straight to the counter. Rare then, unheard of now. Most people start in inventory or delivery, but I knew my stuff with cars so they gave me a chance and I seized it.

I left when I was 18 and went to college. I spent four years getting a bachelor's of science in classic car history and restoration learning most everything that a person can about everything relating to old cars. I've always been into old cars and have a small collection of my own. It was heaven and I enjoyed every minute of it. I went into the classic car restoration industry after I graduated but I left after only six months with a sour taste in my mouth that I've never been able to wash out. What a shitshow that was. Don't even get me started. I'll just say that for all the begging that the "old guard" of the classic car industry does for new, young people to learn the skills and join, they sure treat those young people like total garbage when they do.

I was better paid and better respected as an uneducated grunt in high school pushing spark plugs and air filters over a counter, so that's what I went back to and I've been there every since. I crawled back to the same store that I started at when I was 17 and asked for my job back. They were glad to have me. A few promotions and pay raises later and I can't complain. I've helped this store grow to one of the largest stores by sales volume in the U.S. and it's grown me in return. I haven't worked less than 40 hours a week for several years, even all through COVID-19. Still can't afford my own house, but that's called being 25 in this modern America. One day that will change. We will make sure of it.

So yeah. Long story short: auto parts store management.
Body shops give you shit? Try the scrap business on for size, we make body shop tough guys look like pussy's. You want to play in this field schooling may help you with the basics of using tools, or applying paint, but you need to be able to take shit and hand it right back in spades. The world of antique cars is a blue collar industry outside of the salesmen in the high end Beverly Hills vintage car showrooms. I have to admit I have never met, or even heard of anyone who went to school to learn about antique cars, let alone a four year program. Everyone I know in this business learned by doing on their own, or apprenticing in a shop. I know a few guys who went to auto tech schools, or learned mechanics in the military. Without fail everyone I know with antique vehicles started out the same way I did, an old car that needed fixing, and no money to pay someone else to do it. Back in the day money wasn't thrown at young people, you wanted a car you scraped together a couple hundred bucks worth of lawn mowing money, or minimum wage after school job and bought a shitbox. Back then fathers always had tools, and maybe would let you use them if you put them back properly once you were done. More often it was a cheap basic Craftsman set bought used when you could afford it. Then it was endless hours spent here at yards like the one I am in now searching out parts. You learned by hands on experience, I was doing major engine repairs when I was 16-17 years old, the reason being that my ride was broken, and I had no money to pay a shop to fix it. We took a lot of pride in our rides, and the fact that we did them up ourselves. Today I see some lawyer, or orthodontist showing off some fully restored muscle car that they didn't so much as turn a single screw on, just paid someone else to do it, and pay someone else to maintain it, I have zero respect for these types. I had so many old cars over the years, some weren't that old at the time, but now are antiques and historic vehicles. The list would take up most of this page, even now I still have three historic vehicles, and am tinkering with two more. Among them was 1976 AMC Hornet sportabout wagon in the same blue as the avatar pic. I had that one in 1985 when it was just old, not yet an antique. They rusted badly here and I was constantly keeping up with that, the 232 was a good engine, 904 Chrysler automatic, a nice basic sort of car. My vintage car at that time was a 1961 DeSoto 4 door hardtop with 361 and tourqeflite A automatic with no park. Tailfins, lots of chrome, front seat like a couch, I did a major on the engine right out in the driveway, that was the last year for DeSoto. You go a home shop? If so then take the skills you spent all that time and money learning and start fixing up some antiques for sale on the side. Lot easier today given that nobody wants the restored to perfection look anymore, now it's all " distressed original patina" You spray clear on the rust, but you do have to make them safe to drive. All these youtube channels with barn finds they haul out and get running after 40 years, some of these people don't know shit, but if they attract enough viewers it pays off as these channels are monetized.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I've done lots of shade tree self-taught stuff too. I grew up not all that different from you. Learning the proper ways from top experts in the industry along with the history and engineering behind it complimented that and rounded me out.

I don't want to make this thread all about me or to complain. The last thing you want to hear is another millennial whining about their career, I'm sure.

My auto parts job has treated me well through COVID.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Ever since I was a teen, I’ve had access to a fully equipped shop with machines. I just can’t see paying someone to do a job that I can do myself and having to wait for the work to be done. Just ordered the last springs I need to finish the M1 carbine-every spring will be new now. Might as well replace the extractor while I’m at it. Plus, knowing where to source parts for obsolete military rifles means that my collecting is not constrained to common guns-finding parts and making up ammunition is part of the challenge.

In working on my bus project, we determined that it was involved in an accident that punched a couple of decent holes in one side of the aluminum body-two large patches riveted on that side bear testimony to that. As we don’t have the records for that company, we don’t know the details of the accident.

Working with me or my partner is a real chore-we’re both perfectionists.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AMCHornet wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:16 am I've done lots of shade tree self-taught stuff too. I grew up not all that different from you. Learning the proper ways from top experts in the industry along with the history and engineering behind it complimented that and rounded me out.

I don't want to make this thread all about me or to complain. The last thing you want to hear is another millennial whining about their career, I'm sure.

My auto parts job has treated me well through COVID.
Auto part stores, like repair shops and for some reason scrap yards were determined to be essential and could stay open while the virus raged all around us. Nice to know that our contribution to the maintenance of society is appreciated, maybe in appreciation for risking our lives during Covid to serve the public we no longer need to pay tax's, ever.
Theodore Roosevelt