Mosin stock identification guide?

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
srtjeeplover95

Mosin stock identification guide?

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Hello,

Still learning about Mosins. Now my new question is there any online database guides for stock identification? Like if it's post war or wartime?

Thanks all! I love this community everybody's very welcoming!

-Chris
Igrlik

Re: Mosin stock identification guide?

Post by Igrlik »

Which war? Mosin is more than hundred years old!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Thank you!
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Now what would a late ww2 stock look like? Any major difference between those and the post war versions?
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

srtjeeplover95 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:35 pm Now what would a late ww2 stock look like? Any major difference between those and the post war versions?
I've heard a lot of people use this "late post war" description and I have no clue what they mean. Post war stocks, early post war (whatever that means), late post war (whatever that means) all used pressed escutcheons. So, really, I just consider any stock with these escutcheons as post war. That said you will find stocks with pressed escutcheons that were manufactured late in the war. But, without exception, all stocks produced after the war had pressed escutcheons. War time stocks are generally considered stocks that only have the cut hole in the stock with no metal reinforcement. They generally have a tab in the front escutcheon to limit sling wear on the wood, but not always. I suspect that this was an expediency measure in order to get the guns out quickly. From the beginning of the war, Russia was behind the 8 ball and were losing more rifles than they could manufacture. To say that they were desperate for small arms, even at the beginning of the war, is an understatement... Prewar stocks are defined as always having the screwed in escutcheons front and back. At least that's my take on this issue.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

qz2026 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:07 am
srtjeeplover95 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:35 pm Now what would a late ww2 stock look like? Any major difference between those and the post war versions?
I've heard a lot of people use this "late post war" description and I have no clue what they mean. Post war stocks, early post war (whatever that means), late post war (whatever that means) all used pressed escutcheons. So, really, I just consider any stock with these escutcheons as post war. That said you will find stocks with pressed escutcheons that were manufactured late in the war. But, without exception, all stocks produced after the war had pressed escutcheons. War time stocks are generally considered stocks that only have the cut hole in the stock with no metal reinforcement. They generally have a tab in the front escutcheon to limit sling wear on the wood, but not always. I suspect that this was an expediency measure in order to get the guns out quickly. From the beginning of the war, Russia was behind the 8 ball and were losing more rifles than they could manufacture. To say that they were desperate for small arms, even at the beginning of the war, is an understatement... Prewar stocks are defined as always having the screwed in escutcheons front and back. At least that's my take on this issue.
+1
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:07 am
(Speaking of Russian stocks and not Finn stocks)

You can't say a pressed escutcheons is a "Post War" feature.
If you do, you make it sound like they only used them "Post War", and they didn't.

They are called "Late or post war" escutcheons (1944 on).

If you called them just "Post War", then they would be on the wrong rifle if they were on a 1944(5) rifle, and that is not true.

There is Pre War, War time, Late or post war, and Post war escutcheons.

Even more stock variations.

I have a sniper rifle with pressed sling slots that was made in 1944. It is wearing it's correct stock it was made with. So they were using the pressed in slots in 1944 on.

Darryl
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think I said the same thing and qualified my statement that, indeed, pressed escutcheons were used towards the end of the war. But, I choose to call them post war, none-the-less. To each his own.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

This has always served me well,

Screwed in escutcheons, 1895-1941 all arsenals, with Tula using some in 1942
unlined/ 1/2 liner stocks, 1942-1945 Izhevsk
pressed in escutcheons, Late 1942/1944 Tula, 1946-1948- Izhevsk

There are also any combination of the above as stocks where cycled through rebuilding but originality can be determined on Tula's by the date stamped on the stock, and Izhevsk buy the inspectors cartouche on the but stock buy the arsenal cartouche.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

qz2026 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:02 am I think I said the same thing and qualified my statement that, indeed, pressed escutcheons were used towards the end of the war. But, I choose to call them post war, none-the-less. To each his own.
My point was, if you call them "post war" and they are "end of war" also, then it is misleading.

Miller Tyme wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:05 pm This has always served me well,

There are also any combination of the above as stocks where cycled through rebuilding but originality can be determined on Tula's by the date stamped on the stock, and Izhevsk buy the inspectors cartouche on the but stock buy the arsenal cartouche.
I see pressed in legitimately on 1944 and 1945 Izhevsk rifles also.

Darryl
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Are those 1942 tulas with the screwed in escutcheons kind of rare. I think I found one for $425 All matching looks non refurbed too...
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Darryl [dolk] wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:17 pm
qz2026 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:02 am I think I said the same thing and qualified my statement that, indeed, pressed escutcheons were used towards the end of the war. But, I choose to call them post war, none-the-less. To each his own.
My point was, if you call them "post war" and they are "end of war" also, then it is misleading.

I see pressed in legitimately on 1944 and 1945 Izhevsk rifles also.

Darryl

What are your thoughts??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Also 2 mosins locally going for auction a 1905 m91 and a wartime one..both appear non refabbed. Going to take some time off work and go 😀👍
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

srtjeeplover95 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:43 pm

Are those 1942 tulas with the screwed in escutcheons kind of rare. I think I found one for $425 All matching looks non refurbed too...
No, and that probably isn't its original stock as the is no Tula cartouche that i can see. You are looking at refurbs but saying you want "original".
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
srtjeeplover95

Post by srtjeeplover95 »

Miller Tyme wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:52 am
srtjeeplover95 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:43 pm

No, and that probably isn't its original stock as the is no Tula cartouche that i can see. You are looking at refurbs but saying you want "original".

That is correct sir. I will pass on it. Thank you for the advice means alot 👍