soft lead ingots

Buy and sell here. WTS, WTT, WTB
This is not a forum, please no chit chat
Read the rules first and remember, the forums are not a party to any transactions.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

soft lead ingots

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One 26 pound box of small soft lead ingots approximately one pound each . $1.10 a pound for the lead, $6.80 shipping to the 50 USA states only, international rates would be huge.
$33.90 total, PM me your address, I take Paypal or MO, Paypal preferred as then I ship immediately. Packed in the box and ready to go. More available if needed, PM with requests.

Five pound ingots are also available, as are hard lead, limited quantities remain, unprocessed scrap lead also available. These options would require the larger $13.80 flat rate shipping box.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Re: soft lead ingots

Post by steelbuttplate »

Ever use any of the big truck tire weights?. I'm talkin some of them weigh 4-6 oz. I got bout two gallons.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have about four or five five gallon pails full of them from the school bus garage, all new.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Have you ever smoked any and made bullets out of em? I guess they are pure lead...
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, like any wheel weight they are 91/10 90% lead, 10% tin or antimony to harden the mix. This is lead that is good for casting .38 special and similar bullets. Years back it was a favorite among law enforcement as it let their .38 special's and .357 magnums hit a bit harder. Back then many small town departments and rural county sheriffs had a limited ammunition budget, they had Starr reloading machines and cast their own bullets and packed their own loads. Nickle plated Winchester Western cases to resist corrosion from riding in leather belt loops, and round nose lead bullets or wadcutters for paper punching. We used to sell all the old wheelweights we had to bullet casters. Pure lead is good for miniballs, and cap and ball era revolver bullets. When used for high power modern loads they can cause leading of the bore, a pain in the ass to remove. Gas checks help with that . Radiological lead is about the hardest stuff I have at 30/70 or better, even 50/50, I get scraps sometimes from a guy who installs X-ray machines that use such hard lead for shielding, there was also a retired Cancer Doctor who saved the small lead containers that once contained the radioactive medicine used to treat the disease. That is hard hitting stuff, great for rifle bullets.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Your scrap metal knowledge is quite impressive. I've got the 12 round leather loops off my Grandpa's gun belt, I remember looking many times at the shiny nickel RNL .38's in it as he walked by in Uniform. I've got it on my gunbelt now, full of those rounds. He was NC State HP sarge here for 34 yrs ., Captain his last 5. All he ever carried was a 2" Colt Cobra. Different times for sure. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Scrap metal pays the bills . When I had more time I would cook lead in large batches and cast ingots that I would then sell, Right now I am just selling off what's left of that supply, but I still have a large quantity of raw scrap lead. Roofing lead, lead pipe, gas pipe, plumbers lead, wheelweights, and other unidentified lead scrap. If you wanted to buy in volume we could work something out. I also have a few strings of five pound plumbers lead pigs left. That is all soft lead straight from the foundry that was once used in the plumbing trade for sealing cast iron pipes and other tasks. I have an entire roll of thin lead sheet used for roofing, must be 300 pounds, or at least more than I can move. I have some babbit, ( very hard stuff) body work 50/50 solder sticks, and bricks of what is probably antimony. I haven't confirmed it yet but I think we still have two 55 gallon drums full of used wheel weights buried out back someplace, probably 2000 pounds worth at least, maybe more.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Damn I guess your about out of copper too... We don't have any lead foundry's in the U.S.A. now, Is that correct? Seems like I read somewhere that was a tactic used by Bohama , to make their operation so enviromentally costly they had to quit?
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Soft lead ingots reminds me of some of the guys who work for me.....Soft headed idiots. :bonk:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How much copper you want? Copper I have and get more every day. Don't know if the lead plants have shut down but you can buy industrial amounts of lead online in any grade needed. JIM
Theodore Roosevelt
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:How much copper you want? Copper I have and get more every day. Don't know if the lead plants have shut down but you can buy industrial amounts of lead online in any grade needed. JIM
Yes, the last one shut down a couple years back. At the tire/ everything shop I work at we're now seeing steel weights coated with plastic and some zink type weights coming in. I save lead for my gun smith who in trade does all my work for free.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There seem to be plenty of places online selling lead ingots, even 1000 pound pallets full of them. Like everything else they must be importing it from someplace else. The car battery industry needs huge amounts of lead each year, it's coming from more than just recycled battery's. Stuff's not cheap, I see rotometals selling the same Lee mold cast ingots I sell for more than twice what I have been charging, I might have to consider raising the price :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

bump
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

Do you still have these available?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, I can sell it to you by the pound, or by the ton. I have some cast into typical Lee, or RCBS mold ingots, at least two 55 gallon drums of 1970's wheel weight's ( no zinc) five or six five gallon buckets of unused bus wheel weights ( big ) large roll of unused roofing lead, probably 500 pounds, hundreds of assorted lead items from old pipe to fishing weights. I have a few USPS small flat rate box's full of lead ready to go. The five pound ingots went to a New Jersey buyer last week, all 15 of them.
Theodore Roosevelt