Izhevsk Stampings

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
mjmd11

Izhevsk Stampings

Post by mjmd11 »

When a war era Izhevsk left the factory was it SOP to include the serial prefix on the serials stamped on bolts, butt plates and magazine plates/covers.

I have seen many with just the serial and no cyrillic letter prefixes . Can I assume field replacement or rebuild?
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Izhevsk Stampings

Post by Miller Tyme »

both my 43 & 44 s/n have full S/N with prefixes, and the 43 is an original numbers matching rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Igrlik

Post by Igrlik »

mjmd11 wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:15 pm ...
I have seen many with just the serial and no cyrillic letter prefixes . Can I assume field replacement or rebuild?
Afterwar arsenal rebuild.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

What is the mark just above the Izhevsk triangle?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

SA1911a1 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 pm What is the mark just above the Izhevsk triangle?
It's a Kossuth Crest, which early on people thought had some connection to the Hungarian revolution, but is now believed to be a pre revolution Hungarian Army marking. Last time I checked there where a handful of T-33's and 3 PU snipers in the US with this mark. Over in Europe there are a few more but it is thought that the marking was removed post 56 revolution since the Kossuth Crest was the symbol of the revolution.

https://www.crwflags.com/fotw/Flags/hu_1956.html
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Cool.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mjmd11

Post by mjmd11 »

The reason I asked. I have a no import marked rifle with mixed parts (some with prefix others not) with no rebuild stamp.