New Security Cams

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
ffuries

New Security Cams

Post by ffuries »

We spent 7-8 hours running cables, conduit, installing new cams, then setting up the DVR, then downloading the new software to our phones. We managed to get the 4 front yard cams installed and running.

Tomorrow weather permitting we'll do it again for the 4 backyard cams. Tomorrow will be taking 4 old cams down, put new ones up, running the cables through the attic out the side of the house, then putting all the cable through another conduit run, back into the house and plugging them in. Then the fun part of adjusting the cams to get the proper view.

Installed a new Ring/Cam doorbell along with a new chime, the old Ring gave up the ghost. Of course had to do the software thing and link it to the phones.

Now I'm in the house, after I eat I'll be put up the new window and door sensors, and linking them to the alarm panel.

By tomorrow we'll be wired like Ft Knox again.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Brake Weight

New Security Cams

Post by Brake Weight »

What brand is this setup? Does it do the infrared, too?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: New Security Cams

Post by Darryl »

I have two Kuna cameras (like Ring) on the front door and 6 Reolink cameras around the outside of the house.

We help put away a guy in jail about 2 years ago. He tried to "case" my house and he noticed the cameras. but not before we got a really good shot of his face. Then the idiot went on to do another house maybe 6 blocks away. They got a partial print of his and could not hold him. He told him he was at a friends (and he stood up for him) about 50 plus miles away and couldn't have done it.

Then I called the police and they came over to look. And it was him and It was time stamped with dated. 30 minutes before he was at the next house. They took a copy and I was told the guy made a plea bargain! Also, they charged the friend with making a false report.

The second time I came home from work and a police officer came from across the street. He said the neighbors across the street were burglarized. He noticed my camera and asked if they (cameras) could see across the street. We went in and looked and I had the guys car driving up and he said he knew the guy and his car.....busted! He also told me that only two types of people notice cameras....Police....and Criminals. He said a camera (even a fake one) will keep them away. They will go else where.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Brake Weight wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:09 pm What brand is this setup? Does it do the infrared, too?
It's a Night Owl system, and yes it does IR. Here's a night shot of the cams, pics are pretty clear. The one is still in color due to the street light or the left hand driveway light beside the garage door. I'll wait and see it it goes to IR setting later.

The cams have a spot light on them, which is part of the motion sensor. Sort of tells the perpetrator(s) they have been caught on Candy-Camera. With the motion sensor turned on it will alert you on your phone that a object has moved into view. You can turn each cams sensor on and off from the cell phone app, or from the DVR program.

This is our second Night Owl system. Loved our last one, 2 cams were destroyed by Hurricane Michael, but the other 4 survived, which really surprised me.

Pic 1 is a screen capture of the view on the phone app.
Pic 2 is an picture taken of the computer monitor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ffuries on Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

dolk wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:10 pm I have two Kuna cameras (like Ring) on the front door and 6 Reolink cameras around the outside of the house.

We help put away a guy in jail about 2 years ago. He tried to "case" my house and he noticed the cameras. but not before we got a really good shot of his face. Then the idiot went on to do another house maybe 6 blocks away. They got a partial print of his and could not hold him. He told him he was at a friends (and he stood up for him) about 50 plus miles away and couldn't have done it.

Then I called the police and they came over to look. And it was him and It was time stamped with dated. 30 minutes before he was at the next house. They took a copy and I was told the guy made a plea bargain! Also, they charged the friend with making a false report.

The second time I came home from work and a police officer came from across the street. He said the neighbors across the street were burglarized. He noticed my camera and asked if they (cameras) could see across the street. We went in and looked and I had the guys car driving up and he said he knew the guy and his car.....busted! He also told me that only two types of people notice cameras....Police....and Criminals. He said a camera (even a fake one) will keep them away. They will go else where.

Darryl
Our first system with a time lapse VCR, convicted 3 guys of murder back around 2006 or so. They are serving 25 to life right now.

Our cams caught them entering, followed by leaving the neighborhood, although they claimed they weren't even in the state at the time.

Local Sheriff's Department sent the VHS tape to the FBI to be digitally enhanced.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

ffuries wrote:
Brake Weight wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:09 pm What brand is this setup? Does it do the infrared, too?
It's a Night Owl system, and yes it does IR. Here's a night shot of the cams, pics are pretty clear. The one is still in color due to the street light or the left hand driveway light beside the garage door. I'll wait and see it it goes to IR setting later.

The cams have a spot light on them, which is part of the motion sensor. Sort of tells the perpetrator(s) they have been caught on Candy-Camera. With the motion sensor turned on it will alert you on your phone that a object has moved into view. You can turn each cams sensor on and off from the cell phone app, or from the DVR program.

This is our second Night Owl system. Loved our last one, 2 cams were destroyed by Hurricane Michael, but the other 4 survived, which really surprised me.

Pic 1 is a screen capture of the view on the phone app.
Pic 2 is an picture taken of the computer monitor.
I looked into a Night Owl setup maybe 3 years ago when I was working out of country. But we didn’t have enough internet to support the online capabilities so I skipped on it. It did not have near the options your new one has to offer and all my wife really wanted was the door bell anyway. Settled for a red bone hound and keypad door knob so the kids could get in without a key.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

As for y’all catching criminals and helping put them behind bars, that’s pretty cool.
Abraham Lincoln
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Always a good idea especially in the type of area you live in. :thumbsup:

I'm afraid with all the dear I have around here that alarms would be set off all the time...
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Here's a daytime shot from the app, the colors are pretty good. Great picture on the monitor we have hooked up to it, it's connected with a HDMI cable.

Holding off on installing the backyard cameras, it's a little to breezy out there today. Don't want to be 20 plus feet up a ladder with the wind whipping around.
Last edited by ffuries on Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Here's a capture from our old Night Owl system post Hurricane Michael. This asshat was helping himself to peoples stuff, that were stupid enough to leave valuables in an unlocked vehicle. Obviously the only thing he got from us was his actions filmed.

Everytime a crime occurs in our subdivision the Sheriff's Investigators come to us and ask to view our cam footage.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Speaking of Ft. Knox. I took this today. I can't seem to post it right side up. Oh well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:33 pm Speaking of Ft. Knox. I took this today. I can't seem to post it right side up. Oh well.
Cool.........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

We caught this guy "creeping" around the front door at 2:30 am in the morning
Set off the alarms and my son and I got up to look at the video.

https://thedolk.com/bug.MOV
Sorry, you will have to go off site to my other website.

Darryl
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

dolk wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:54 pm We caught this guy "creeping" around the front door at 2:30 am in the morning
Set off the alarms and my son and I got up to look at the video.

https://thedolk.com/bug.MOV
Sorry, you will have to go off site to my other website.

Darryl
LOL, no spiders on cam yet, but we do get Geckos, Tree Frogs, and Anole Lizards all the time, and once a bird sitting on a cam and pecking at the lens.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member