Nasty bastards

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
SA1911a1

Nasty bastards

Post by SA1911a1 »

My son and his wife drove to work together last week as one of their cars had starter problems. My son replaced the starter yesterday only to find that sometime during the week someone had cut the catalytic converters out of his truck and their car.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nasty bastards

Post by bunkysdad »

Steve that truly sucks. Insurance will cover the repairs if he had coverage. Years ago I was working for Midas and a customer came in with a roaring pickup. His converter was unbolted on both ends and stolen while in airport parking. They have Rhodium and Platinum and other precious metals in them that makes the core value high for scrap guys. Wouldn’t you like to hit the thief in the face with a catalytic converter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

First I've heard of people steeling converters :shock: Beginning to remind me of the days when people siphoned out your gas...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Right now cats are as high as they have ever been, they are often worth more in scrap by themselves than the rest of the entire car at end of life. They can go for as little as $25 for the cheap aftermarket replacements, to over a grand for some OEM models. They are being stolen regularly all over the country, quick buck for the meth heads. I hear this same story over and over.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

That sucks Steve, some people just don't have respect for people or their stuff. We bust our asses getting to where we are, houses, vehicles, retirements, etc and they just come and take what they want to feed their habits. The time for rehabilitation is over. Don't get me wrong some people can be rehabilitated, but those that can't need to be held accountable to maximum extent of the law.

Why can't we just round the undesirables up and put them on a friggin deserted island? Hell Hollyweird makes movies like that all the time.

Today we are in the process of installing new security cameras around the house. We had 6 pre-storm, 4 post-storm. This time around we'll have 8 cameras, anybody tries that shit around here, and they'll be..........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

There are different kind of Nasturds too. One stole my grandmothers 1800's doll collection while we were at her funeral. A family Nasturd :furious: the worst kind. Lay the lead too 'em. Dig your hole now, then later all you have to do is cover up.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Our museum has several cctv cameras in the building and a couple that look along the fence line of the yard in the back. We've had issues with the fence along the alley getting cut and are having to patch it on a regular basis. They watch the area and wait until the patrol car passes by to break in. Not the fault of the police as we've seen them patrolling along the alley at different times of day and night. We're hoping that we can get a good view of the perpetrators and maybe get a shot that can be used by the police to identify someone.
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

Junk, suppose someone you don't know appears at your business with one or more of these cats......how do you or would you handle this ?........I have no idea who would be a source of these units......but likely obtained in an unlawful manner......would a notice to the local law enforcement office do any good ? could you hold the units, with a delay in paying the supplier, until a report, or lack of a pending case, of recent activity clears the goods.....?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:00 pm Junk, suppose someone you don't know appears at your business with one or more of these cats......how do you or would you handle this ?........I have no idea who would be a source of these units......but likely obtained in an unlawful manner......would a notice to the local law enforcement office do any good ? could you hold the units, with a delay in paying the supplier, until a report, or lack of a pending case, of recent activity clears the goods.....?
Good question, looking forward to the answer.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Rowdy1

Post by Rowdy1 »

Intel is now selling gold jewelry made from recycled computer parts. Amazing how much old parts are worth.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rowdy1 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 am Intel is now selling gold jewelry made from recycled computer parts. Amazing how much old parts are worth.
Electronic waste is only worth it if you have a very large amount of it. The amount of gold, or even copper is miniscule per individual TV, or computer
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

with Junk's answer, what is the value to a street thief to chop-off a converter on a random car..? unless it is a new car where these replacement units are severely expensive and the stolen ones are then resold as a fix for a broken one, where is the market for the parts ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tomaustin wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:28 pm with Junk's answer, what is the value to a street thief to chop-off a converter on a random car..? unless it is a new car where these replacement units are severely expensive and the stolen ones are then resold as a fix for a broken one, where is the market for the parts ?
No, these people are not reselling the cat for use on cars, they are taking them to shady outfits that buy them for the scrap value, and who then process them for the metals. We are not talking fifty, or a hundred bucks here, we bought a car today for scrap, it's cat's, there are two, will bring $1800, and it's a ten year old small car. As a rule we do not buy walk in cats unless they are attached to a vehicle, or it's from one of the known local repair shops that we have done business with for many years. Street thieves are making good money, even if they got half what a legit operator would get, they are still making more than enough money to buy a seriously big bag of blow.
Theodore Roosevelt
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

Junk, thanks for the info....I will pay more attention in my area for these type of police reports....that is some serious money for a small amount of work..........Tom
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:55 pm
Rowdy1 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:41 am Intel is now selling gold jewelry made from recycled computer parts. Amazing how much old parts are worth.
Electronic waste is only worth it if you have a very large amount of it. The amount of gold, or even copper is miniscule per individual TV, or computer
And it takes days, chemical baths, nasty process for a few grams of powder. It's all gold electro plate.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"