Semi auto thought.

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

Semi auto thought.

Post by steelbuttplate »

If you were to grab the slide of a semi auto pointed right in your reach but not at you, with a death grip, and it fired, would it cycle another round ? :bonk:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Semi auto thought.

Post by millman »

I would think probably not. You will get hurt trying to find out
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I don't think you'd be alive to know...
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Dep ends on a lot of factors, Buttttt, the round coming out has to go somewhere
Dat one gonna hurt.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:42 pm I would think probably not. You will get hurt trying to find out
Thats what I'm thinking, if you're in a fight and an automatic comes out and the first round hits the ground because you have a good hold on it, it wouldn't cycle. I'm not gonna test this theory. It's a Last ditch scenario.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Maybe and maybe not. In that scenario, your goal should be controlling the direction of the muzzle-keeping it pointed away from you as much as possible.
Igrlik

Post by Igrlik »

Steel - would not cycle. And you will not be hurt by slide (not much - depends on front blade sharp edge) ! Remember german WWII "last shot" from barrel and slide of disassembled but loaded P08? It is nothing harmfull shoot it from hand - recoil is very mild.

Just look: shot
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bogozzo

Post by bogozzo »

I'm with ironnewt. Depends on many factors. The energy in the round being the main one I'd consider. That would relate then to compensating recoil spring strength, gas port size if applicable etc. I'd perhaps try a .22 with standard (~700FPS / 36-40 grain) ammo, but I wouldn't start the experiment with say 230 grain .45ACP
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

It's going to fire, but I think it would jam the action and prevent it from firing again until you let go. Your grip would either prevent the slide from racking back, or prevent the slide from sliding forward into battery. Either prevents the second shot from happening.

I think it would hurt your hand. Probably not severely, but it wouldn't be pleasant.

If you were in a hand to hand struggle with somebody who was trying to shoot you, like if you were struggling around on the floor for control of the gun, grabbing the slide and holding the gun away from you might be a pretty good tactic to save yourself from being shot. They might fire a shot, but the gun would not be able to fire again, perhaps allowing you to gain control of the situation.

Something to try on our own? No...maybe with heavy gloves. Something to keep in the back of your mind? Yes.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I doubt it would eject and reload properly. If you held the slide solidly, the frame would attempt to recoil forward, it would probably be painful on the trigger finger. My personal philosophy is to avoid such experiments, as well as avoiding gunfights at point-blank range. I would rather stand back, behind cover and shoot the victim in the back, multiple times if necessary. Survival has no ethics. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There are no rules in street fighting, dirt in the eye's, kick in the nutsack, bullet in the back, whatever it takes as the prize is survival.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, ^^^^^^^ Very, true. Jim the Boss.
That's my way at looking at it also(street fight). You don't ever know what the others guys going too do. So, it's your job too come out of it alive from the get go... Flight or fight, in that order: if, given the option.
"I feared for my life or great bodily injuries. Therefor, I shot him dead" Officer..... That's my story and I'm sticking with it.