Quad rail causing cycling issues

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jwclark

Quad rail causing cycling issues

Post by jwclark »

Greetings fellow bulletheads!

My Chinese SKS is having issues cycling while I have my UTG Quad Rail mounted. It fires fine, and cycles the bolt as it should, but apparently the pressure the rail puts on the gas tube is distorting it a bit and the piston will not return to its starting point. The operating rod sticks out of the receiver about .25" and I have to cycle the bolt repeatedly to push it forward and allow the bolt to return to battery. Once it does, I can fire again, but with the same result. If I leave it in this condition and loosen the mounting screws on the rail, the op rod immediately pushes the piston completely forward again. The rifle functions just fine with the rail off, so I know it's the rail. Just trying to figure out how to work this problem. Checked fit of gas tube, polished flanges on the piston, thoroughly cleaned everything, oiled and reassembled with no joy. Any advice is appreciated!
SA1911a1

Re: Quad rail causing cycling issues

Post by SA1911a1 »

My solution would be to sell the rail in Ebay, and use the rifle as designed.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:39 am My solution would be to sell the rail in Ebay, and use the rifle as designed.
+1
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

millman wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:40 am
SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:39 am My solution would be to sell the rail in Ebay, and use the rifle as designed.
+1
:pointup:
+1
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

+1 If it wasn't broken in stock configuration leave it alone.