What can you tell me about my M91?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mwillis

What can you tell me about my M91?

Post by Mwillis »

So I bought this M91 about 20 years ago. I havent thought much about it but am wondering it it may be one of the rarer models. It is infantry length at 51" and has the Izhvesk marking and date is stamped 1901. Pictures enclosed. What can you tell me about it?
20170107_114259.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: What can you tell me about my M91?

Post by ffuries »

This is your Mosin, there are many like it, but this one is yours......

Sorry couldn't resist. Those more knowledgable will be along and tell you more. In the meantime here's some great reading material right here in our own RMNF Knowledge Base section.

app.php/page/99
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It was also Finnish captured. Does the stock have a finger joint ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

The rifle appears to be in pretty nice shape, early years are desirable, others can give you more precise info though it looks like a really nice Model 91
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Very nice looking rifle and as said it was Finn'd as the rear sight is remarked in metres on the right-hand side and there is a SA stamp on the barrel shank.

The barrel shank marks look nice and sharp, do any of the serial numbers match?.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:24 am It was also Finnish captured. Does the stock have a finger joint ?
Here's a genuine question......as the Finns captured, purchased and traded Mosin's from numerous sources over many decades as well as having supplies of them already in Finland prior to gaining independence from Russia how does one definitively tell if a rifle is "Finnish-captured"?.

I know the "41" stamp on rifles denotes they were captured in The Continuation War but other than that how does someone differentiate between "captured"and "acquired"?.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm not sure you can tell the difference on any before the '41 stamp., you just have a partial SA property stamp on yours and the D to go by. It looks like a D its in a dark spot.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Nice 1901 Izhevsk M91 OP, looks like a nice, solid example of a Finnish used M91.
ssg_lord

Post by ssg_lord »

Snayperskaya wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:50 pm
steelbuttplate wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:24 am It was also Finnish captured. Does the stock have a finger joint ?
Here's a genuine question......as the Finns captured, purchased and traded Mosin's from numerous sources over many decades as well as having supplies of them already in Finland prior to gaining independence from Russia how does one definitively tell if a rifle is "Finnish-captured"?.

I know the "41" stamp on rifles denotes they were captured in The Continuation War but other than that how does someone differentiate between "captured"and "acquired"?.
With the exception of the before mentioned 41 stamp there really isn't a good way to distinguish if a Finnish used M91 was "acquired" during the Finnish Civil War or purchased during the inter war era from one of the many European country's that Finland bought Mosin's from. Finland had 190,000 Mosins on hand at the end of the Civil War and bought another 173,000 from Europe so its a little less than 50/50 between the two.
Mwillis

Post by Mwillis »

Snayperskaya wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:41 pm Very nice looking rifle and as said it was Finn'd as the rear sight is remarked in metres on the right-hand side and there is a SA stamp on the barrel shank.

The barrel shank marks look nice and sharp, do any of the serial numbers match?.
I'll have to check, I haven't had it apart kn a long time. How much if a difference does that make?