1917 Remington with German ersatz bayonet adapter

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Snayperskaya

1917 Remington with German ersatz bayonet adapter

Post by Snayperskaya »

I thought I'd share an interesting Mosin I picked up at the weekend.

It is an all matching 1917 Remington M91 was shipped to Russia, captured by the Germans early in its career and fitted with an ersatz bayonet adapter and ended up sending it to Finland as war aid to the White Finns during the Finnish Civil War.The consensus against Finnish collectors is that judging by the lack of subsequent modifications, alterations or Finnish property marks it is highly likely that it was taken home and squirrelled away by someone at the end of the Civil War and it never entered the Finnish military system.The previous owner imported it directly from Finland.

As I said it is all matching*, all the bolt assembly components are Remington marked and the stock/handguard are all original.

The chamber, bore and muzzle and in very good condition and the muzzle has its original crown so I have a feeling she'll be a good shooter.

The bayonet adapter appears to be a different type to all the photos of others I can find on the 'net but appears to be very well made.The original screw is missing but the adapter has been on so long it doesnt move so I don't think it is going anywhere without it although a friend who collects and restores old German clocks has found me a period screw in his vast collection of spare bits and bobs that fits the thread perfectly and looks made for the job!

* when I say all matching I mean the barrel shank/bolt body/cocking piece and buttplate all match......but the magazine floorplate is one digit out!.It appears that someone at Remington had their mind on other things (a date with Mary Lou that night?) one day in 1917 and either fitted the floorplate destined for the next rifle on the line or picked up the wrong number punch!.I guess we'll never know the reason but a fascinating oversight.
_20200718_154817.JPG
_20200718_153234.JPG
DSC_0007.JPG
_20200831_195512.JPG
_20200830_155729.JPG
_20200831_195632.JPG
IMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snayperskaya

Re: 1917 Remington with German ersatz bayonet adapter

Post by Snayperskaya »

_20200902_234915.JPG
IMG_0843.JPG
IMG-20200819-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20200819-WA0011.jpg
IMG_0848.JPG
IMG_0842.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Beautiful rifle.
Mosin Fanboy
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A great find, first ever shown here with that bayonet mount.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

willyj73 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:54 pm Beautiful rifle.
:Drool1: I'd like to rub some Rem-oil on that. :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is a great find! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice find, beautiful rifle, thanks for posting. I have never seen or heard of a Mosin rifle with a bayonet adapter for a blade bayonet. Are you sure it's for a German bayonet, any chance the adapter fits a P14/17 or even an 03 bayonet, rifles that did not ship to Russia were used for training in the U.S. why I am asking? Have any bayonets fitted to the rifle yet? A pic of a Mosin with a blade bayonet would be great to see.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

etprescottazusa91 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:17 am Nice find, beautiful rifle, thanks for posting. I have never seen or heard of a Mosin rifle with a bayonet adapter for a blade bayonet. Are you sure it's for a German bayonet, any chance the adapter fits a P14/17 or even an 03 bayonet, rifles that did not ship to Russia were used for training in the U.S. why I am asking? Have any bayonets fitted to the rifle yet? A pic of a Mosin with a blade bayonet would be great to see.
A friend of mine has two WWI German ersatz bayonets that fit it perfectly and this particular rifle definitely made it to Russia as it was captured by the Germans and then sent to Finland.

Here's a pic of what seems to be the more commonly found type of German ersatz bayonet adapter......
14356022_1167184193348385_1857747018_n.jpg
Here you go, German Kaiserliche Marine with captured M91 with ersatz adapter and blade bayonet, which I think is an EB9 and quite a common German ersatz bayonet.
10275589145_f713f13e4a_m.jpg
And another......
unnamed.jpg
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow what a interesting rifle, and it appears to still be in the original 54R chambering.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

bunkysdad wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:38 pm Wow what a interesting rifle, and it appears to still be in the original 54R chambering.
Yes mate, it's still 7.62x54r
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Taking into account that it is an original all matching Remington with a rare Type II bayonet adapter fitted is it worthy of a place in The Showcase?
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Spectacular. Great find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Snayperskaya wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:45 am Taking into account that it is an original all matching Remington with a rare Type II bayonet adapter fitted is it worthy of a place in The Showcase?
Probably. Message administrator Rongo. He is the showcase gatekeeper.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That's a Dandy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Got your PM! Yes, Showcase material For sure. :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

C. S. Lewis