Home Improvements...

"Off The Regular Topic" Items Forum
awalker1829

Home Improvements...

Post by awalker1829 »

Since I'm back at the townhouse and my museum has not yet formally reopened for volunteers and staff, I am now thinking about what to do to improve my firearms storage ability. My current secure storage capacity is essentially maxed out-gun lockers bolted to the floor in a closet. Fortunately, I have an entire bedroom that is completely empty-never had anything in it. I'm seriously considering converting it to a firearms storage unit. Only access is via the door or a second floor window. The way the window is, there's no way to look inside from the outside, so as long as nothing is put in front of the window, no one will be able see what is inside. Only necessary security update would probably be a deadbolt in place of the doorknob, as it's primary intention is denying access to unauthorized persons.

Fortunately, I have access to a table saw at Mom and Dad's, so I can do the woodworking there and assemble it once in place. Right now, this is just in the concept phase.
GColloton

Re: Home Improvements...

Post by GColloton »

I’d like to see how it turns out. If I had the space and the money I day dream about making a hidden area or room. Like coming out about five or six feet from a long wall and building a wall with a door that looks like a bookcase or something to conceal that there’s now a room behind it. Theres lots of creative ways to make it secure. You could use fire retardant paints and varnishes on the walls and would to protect in case of a fire, security devices like deadbolts or cameras, all to keep your firearms (and valuables) in there. You could even create a panic room out of it and keep canned goods, water, etc...with a good amount of money and free space that is.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Primary method of security would be by keeping it low key. Put a deadbolt on the door and line the walls with gun racks. Only one window and it's a second story room so no one can see in. I'd need to put some lighting in the room but that's a small deal. Right now, it's just going to be a storage room. It has carpet in it, but I can replace that someday with tile or vinyl if I want. I might also relocate my reloading presses to it in the future, but that's a long way off.
1911lvr

Post by 1911lvr »

Post some pics when you begin the process.