Recently acquired N.E.W

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Snayperskaya

Recently acquired N.E.W

Post by Snayperskaya »

Haven't logged in for awhile but thought I'd share my recently acquired New England Westinghouse.

It was found in a dark corner of a deceased dealers workshop where it had sat for God knows how long covered in grease and grime and very much unloved.The cleaning rod was missing, and the only bolt assembly parts with it were the original bolt head and the connector bar.Both barrel bands had snapped screws but there was something about the old girl that I couldn't resist so I set about sourcing parts for her.....the cleaning rod came from Sweden, a pair of N.E.W-marked barrel bands came from Estonia and the bolt parts I needed came from Finland, with the exception of the main bolt body all the bolt assembly parts are N.E.W-marked with the bolt body being a Tula part with no serial number which I can live with.

After a damn good clean it appeared that the chamber and bore were pretty much like new right to the muzzle and the trigger sear and the ejector/interrupter had little to no wear marks on them and it appears and it appears to have had very little use over the years.The metal at the exposed portion of the barrel has pitted a bit over the years, as has the buttplate and the top of the receiver in the area of the stripper clip bridge possibly due to less than ideal storage but under the stock the blueing is still very good and strangely like new on large portions of the barrel and receiver.

All the marks and stamps on it are N.E.W factory marks and Russian proofs, the buttplate serial number matches and the stock is the original "English Contract" marked stock with a Cyrillic acceptance mark.

There is nothing to suggest it was Finnish-captured or ended up in the Balkans and it has no US property marks such as the Flaming Bomb cartouche.......it is a bit of a mystery as to where it has been all these years and I did wonder if it was possible that it was one of the rifles that were held up in Liverpool Docks following the Russian default due to the Revolution and if it was possibly "lifted" from the Docks by an unscrupulous dock worker,possibly with Irish connections......ultimately I'll never know but it has no recent C.I.P-recognised European proofs and had never been proofed here in UK prior to it being proofed prior to me taking possession of it, in fact it wasn't registered on the British Police firearms database!.

Anyway, here's a few pics of the old girl......
_20200209_163404.JPG
_20200209_163251.JPG
DSC_0259.JPG
_20200125_183821.JPG
_20200125_183759.JPG
She shoots 15" high at 100m but the windage is pretty much on, this target was shot from a rest at 100m with 150gr handloads, the target is 8" across......
DSC_0040.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Snayperskaya on Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Snayperskaya

Re: Recently acquired N.E.W

Post by Snayperskaya »

_20200125_183733.JPG
_20200125_183506.JPG
DSC_0239.JPG
_20200125_184005.JPG
DSC_0261.JPG
DSC_0262.JPG
DSC_0250.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Very nice, that stock is beautiful.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Longcolt44 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 pm Very nice, that stock is beautiful.
Thank you......I feel lucky that it has its original stock and handguard and that they are in nice condition, although they were very dirty there's no major dents or scratches apart from a very small crack at the rear of the handguard but it's nothing major.The M91 rifles aren't anywhere near as common as 91/30's and carbines over here in the UK so I was lucky to find this one.

With the absence of European proofs (Most Mosins in the UK come in via Germany and tend to have German C.I.P proofmarks) I did wonder if it could be one of the rifles that was held up and then stored in Britain following the Russia Revolution and later sent to Russia with British troops during the Allied Intervention in the Russian Civil War and it somehow made it's way back when the British pulled out*.....possible or am I dreaming?.

* I read somewhere that those rifles were left in Russia but maybe it's possible some were brought back.