1911A1 Army

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

1911A1 Army

Post by Rongo »

Well Sort Of...

I've been wanting a 1911 with a GI flavor for a while now, Been pricing the C&R 1911 pistols from WWII vintage but they are rather spendy & are getting to the point of being curios & displays rather than an everyday shooter; I want a shooter. So now I'm looking for a reproduction/Replica. There's the Springfield Mil-Spec for $600 or so, Auto Ordinance has a GI style but it has the series 80 crap & North of $500, Rock Island is kinda close at around $400, Colt has a halfhearted model that looks like a new pistol even at a glance for $700+ and then there is the Inland for close to $1000? At least the Inland LOOKS the part... But I don't want to spend that.

I wanted a Parkerized finish, plastic/bakelite grips, series 70, decent roll mark on the slide saying Army, shoots reliably & maybe even shoots hollowpoints, all for under $500??? Is that too much to ask?

Well I found one!

A Tisas, made in Turkey, USGI spec 1911A1 for $329. It is a near perfect clone of the 1911A1 except for the lowered ejection port. The Parkerized finish is smooth & silky, Strong stamping on the Slide "Model 1911A1 U.S. Army", Basic plastic grips, no frills solid built 1911A1 Pistol. Yes, it's not made in the USA, but it's in my price range and it looks nice. Came with one parkerized Mecgar 7 rnd magazine, manual & in a cardboard box.

Now it looks pretty & all... But how does it shoot? I took it apart, inspected everything, gave it a cleaning & went down by the barn with extra magazines & brass case Federal 230grn ball ammo. Used the factory mag (Which some folks said gave them trouble) A few shooting star mags & one of my Remington R1 mags. Ran 100 Rounds of the ball ammo with all magazines with ZERO Issues! Aims nice & I was hitting the steel gongs at 40yds without too much difficulty (Aging Eyes). After the 100 rounds I ran a few mags of hollowpoints in the Mecgar & they too ran without issue. A damn fine pistol if you ask me... Worth EVERY penny.

So if you want a nice GI 1911A1 Style Pistol, I strongly urge you to run out and get one of these.

Some Pics....
1911 Tisas A1 Army AAA002A.jpg
1911 Tisas A1 Army Box FORUM.jpg
1911 Tisas A1 Army AAA2 FORUM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sonny

Re: 1911A1 Army

Post by Sonny »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

It's a great looking piece. I have always liked the Springfield Armory Milspec, but I may have to consider one of these for the difference in price. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

"thumbsup01: "thumbsup01: "thumbsup01:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Congrats, you bought a really good gun, regardless of the price point.

I certainly wouldn't mind buying one. Any more, it really doesn't matter where the CNC machine is sitting, there are a lot of very good 1911s out there and what I consider bargain prices.

You should go over to Hickcock45's videos and look up the one where he compares the high-end 1911s to the Tisa and Rock Island. To give you a spoiler, the bottom line is if you want a good 1911 shooter, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars. My Rock Islands and Springfield Armory 1911s are a hell of a lot better than the GI Colts that I shot in boot camp. I have a pricier Colt, but it is not a damn bit better than the others. The only .45 that my son has that he regrets over is an Colt that he paid three times the price of yours. (It is a nice gun, just not that nice)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:40 am Congrats, you bought a really good gun, regardless of the price point.

I certainly wouldn't mind buying one. Any more, it really doesn't matter where the CNC machine is sitting, there are a lot of very good 1911s out there and what I consider bargain prices.

You should go over to Hickcock45's videos and look up the one where he compares the high-end 1911s to the Tisa and Rock Island. To give you a spoiler, the bottom line is if you want a good 1911 shooter, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars. My Rock Islands and Springfield Armory 1911s are a hell of a lot better than the GI Colts that I shot in boot camp. I have a pricier Colt, but it is not a damn bit better than the others. The only .45 that my son has that he regrets over is an Colt that he paid three times the price of yours. (It is a nice gun, just not that nice)
I agree... I saw those videos & read reviews till my eyes hurt. The Tisas kept performing & not disapointing & at a price that just can't be beat. I might get another in the future... One of their more tricked out ones. Or maybe a Dan Wesson 1911... Those are nice!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Thanks for the review. I like 1911's of all flavors and I keep hoping to stumble across a Tisas one of these days so I can try one out.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Now, run over to ebay and find you some of these. I bought five pair a few months ago because they just look so damn good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
entropy

Post by entropy »

Can't wait to shoot it!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:07 pm Now, run over to ebay and find you some of these. I bought five pair a few months ago because they just look so damn good.
What are the details...

I like it.

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Rongo wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:46 pm
SA1911a1 wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:07 pm Now, run over to ebay and find you some of these. I bought five pair a few months ago because they just look so damn good.
What are the details...

I like it.
There are hundreds of nice, and some not so nice, grips listed on ebay. This is the title for the search of the ones I bought: FACTORY COLT 1911/45 FULL SIZE ROSEWOOD DOUBLE DIAMOND CHECKERED GRIPS AMBI NEW. Seller is fatboys1011

cost per set: $21.99 free shipping
Aut Pax Aut Bellum