Lacquer Thinner on Stock?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
turkeyoak

Lacquer Thinner on Stock?

Post by turkeyoak »

I saw a video from Midway USA posted on Military Collectibles on Facebook. He was cleaning a historic rolling block with lacquer thinner on the wood and fine steel wool and Hoppe's #9 on the metal. Once the stock was cleaned he treated it with linseed oil.
Has anyone used lacquer thinner on their stock? Is it a good idea?
I'm happy with my shellac with traces of cosmoline but I think it would be nice to reveal a bit more of the birch and have that nice linseed finish.
As I said, I'm happy with it now and would be happy if it was nicer but I don't want to mess up.
Video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kgzOmuc ... e=youtu.be
Thanks,
TurkeyOak
So far:
Daisy Red Ryder, Henry H001 .22, scoped Marlin .30-30,
Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Maverick 88 pump 12 ga.
1939 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant 91/30,
Ruger P89, 22/45, & LCP.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Lacquer Thinner on Stock?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Noooooooooooo! Mosins use shellac on the stock, thinner will dissolve it and ruin it, the old rolling block had an oil finish on the stock,
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
turkeyoak

Post by turkeyoak »

Thanks for the quick reply. As I said, I'm happy now and don't want to screw it up. I'll leave it alone.
So far:
Daisy Red Ryder, Henry H001 .22, scoped Marlin .30-30,
Mossberg 702 Plinkster, Maverick 88 pump 12 ga.
1939 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant 91/30,
Ruger P89, 22/45, & LCP.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

These are rifles that have been to war and should have a look of it. They are not supposed to be shiny and new. I love a good beat up old stock. When you go out to the gun stores you should be looking for the ones that look neglected. But a nice clean refurb isn't too bad either. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

When you get an overpowering urge to refinish a stock, follow the following steps,
Look at what it does to the prices on gunbroker.
Look at what a crappy refinish looks like. There are occasional posts here.
Buy a M39 or any Finned stock. they are an oil finish and you can oil them.
Buy another Mosin and the urge to refinish the first one will magically dissappear. I have used this occasionally.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

polymerase2 wrote:When you get an overpowering urge to refinish a stock, follow the following steps,
Look at what it does to the prices on gunbroker.
Look at what a crappy refinish looks like. There are occasional posts here.
Buy a M39 or any Finned stock. they are an oil finish and you can oil them.
Buy another Mosin and the urge to refinish the first one will magically dissappear. I have used this occasionally.
Someone has been trying to sell and otherwise nice M-91 on GB for over a month. It has a "pretty" bright and shinny, smooth finish (recently applied).
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yep I think I saw it. What a freak show.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

that must have been the granddaddy of m91's that i saw pimp shined
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If cleaning is the issue then there is a product called Kotton Klenser ( google it) I originally used these on my antique Victrolas, they have a shellac finish like a Mosin. I use it on my 1906 Victor II a machine with an irreplaceable original finish and a significant dollar value attached to it without worry it will harm anything. It also works well on dirty Mosin stocks, or any milsurp stock.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The owner of Midway is known as the, "King of Butchering". If the You Tube or whatever site is related to Midway don't click on it unless you like to throw-up.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!