New Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Packwolf445

New Mosin

Post by Packwolf445 »

I just bought a Mosin Nagant, as of yesterday, and I want to know what production it's from, I know there are several kinds, but I dont know which one it is. All the serials match (minus the bayonet), and the serial is АГ6300, made in 1939.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotema

Re: New Mosin

Post by Lotema »

Do you mean which arsenal manufactured it? The arrow in triangle indicates it was Izhevsk.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Izhevsk, but unless you show pictures of the entire rifle I can't tell if it's M91/30 or M38 carbine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:14 pm Izhevsk, but unless you show pictures of the entire rifle I can't tell if it's M91/30 or M38 carbine.
Non matching bayonet, so likely a 91/30. The folding bayonet wasn't SN was it? No, not the folding bayonet, and the M38 had no bayonet.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Probably a 91/30 unless someone has come up with a way to put a bayonet on an M38. Remember that the sight base on the M38 won’t fit the slot in the base of the bayonet. I’ve never seen a SN on an M44 bayonet and don’t expect to, considering that the bayonet was considered to be integral to the rifle. Only ones that would be expected to be missing the bayonet would be the ones that came in during the Assault Weapons Ban period.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Packwolf445 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:16 pm I just bought a Mosin Nagant, as of yesterday, and I want to know what production it's from, I know there are several kinds, but I dont know which one it is. All the serials match (minus the bayonet), and the serial is АГ6300, made in 1939.
How many meter are the sights on your '39 ? 2000 ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"