Finnish Mosin book?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
superbee

Finnish Mosin book?

Post by superbee »

Hi
I only collect Finnish mosins.Is there a English language book specifically for Finnish rifles??
SA1911a1

Re: Finnish Mosin book?

Post by SA1911a1 »

Yes there is, but it is out of print and very spendy. Amazon has one listed for $255.00. It is called Rifles of the White Death, by Doug Bowser.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Mangrove

Post by Mangrove »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:01 pm Yes there is, but it is out of print and very spendy.
It also contains very outdated information, especially regarding the markings, quality control and production numbers of Finnish rifles. As far as I know, if summarises large parts from Palokangas' book Sotilaskäsiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988, which is also outdated in many parts.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Doug is on several of the milsurp Facebook pages. You might see if he has any left.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:01 pm Yes there is, but it is out of print and very spendy. Amazon has one listed for $255.00. It is called Rifles of the White Death, by Doug Bowser.
Steve you should write one, call it" White beards and deadly old rifles." HMMM does it cost something to use photos from this forum. ?? :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

BuckeyeSgt wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:46 pm Doug is on several of the milsurp Facebook pages. You might see if he has any left.
That is how I got my copy.
conmcb25

Post by conmcb25 »

Apparently he just went in the hospital with Heart Issues :(

I sent him a message at Facebook about a week ago, and was going to follow up. I found his homepage again and was about to re-message when I saw his status.

I think Ill just leave him be for a while.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You could always learn to speak and read the Finnish language, then buy the books straight from Finland. Think of how impressed we would all be to see that level of dedication from an American collector of Finnish rifles :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:17 am You could always learn to speak and read the Finnish language, then buy the books straight from Finland. Think of how impressed we would all be to see that level of dedication from an American collector of Finnish rifles :)
Heck I will get you a Finnish to English dictionary. You can then self publish the translation in hardbound full leather covered volumes on vellum paper and sell them to us. Discount to forum members and your supporters. You know Ike me for suppling the dictionary, Junk Yard Dog for the idea and well any of us you like.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ironnewt wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:43 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:17 am You could always learn to speak and read the Finnish language, then buy the books straight from Finland. Think of how impressed we would all be to see that level of dedication from an American collector of Finnish rifles :)
Heck I will get you a Finnish to English dictionary. You can then self publish the translation in hardbound full leather covered volumes on vellum paper and sell them to us. Discount to forum members and your supporters. You know Ike me for suppling the dictionary, Junk Yard Dog for the idea and well any of us you like.
Excellent idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I’ve taken several languages. Finnish is more jacked than Polish.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

BuckeyeSgt wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:22 pm
I’ve taken several languages. Finnish is more jacked than Polish.
I am told it's a difficult language to master if you didn't learn it from birth, I do know a guy who can speak Polish, he learned it from his parents who were from the old country. I can speak bits of several languages, but they are only useful for starting fights with people who understand what the words are, or if I slam my thumb with a hammer.
Theodore Roosevelt