Snider reloading

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Snider reloading

Post by Darryl »

1) Cut the case down to just under 2" with a small chop using a 24 ga shotgun shell from Magtech.

2) Check them for length. (under 2")

3) Clean up all the edges with very fine sandpaper

4) Anneal the cases. I use this setup so it will rotate the case in the flame.

5) Lube the cases

6) Form the case

7) Open the end up just a little to allow the bullet to start. I have a special setup custom made

8) Check the casings in the breach to make sure they fit.

9) Install the primer

10) Items need to cast your own bullet

.590 Paradox Snider Mold
I have a mold from Red River Ricks. A 58 cal paradox bullet it is .590 after casting. http://kal.castpics.net/

.590 Paradox Snider bullet after casting

11) Using a double boiler, heat mixture of 50% beeswax and 50% olive oil (softens the bees wax)

Rounds in pie pan ready for lube

12 Lube poured in to above groove and is setting up

13) Place the pie pan in the refrigerator for a few minutes and then just push the bullets out of the lube that has set up.

14) measure (by weight) 70 grains of FFG black powder and place it in each case.

15) Measure out 2.6 to 2.8 grains of carded wool

Carded Wool

16) Put it in the case and fluff it up as it goes in
Rounds ready for bullet. You can use a press (I do) to press in the bullets. Some do it by hand.

Finished Rounds

Photo below left to right
1. Full 24 ga. shot shell
2. Cut down to 2"
3. Annealed
4. Neck sized down and polished

After I was done, I checked them in the my Snider Carbine. One at a time. I found two that would not chamber and close the breach. I noticed the very end of the case was flared out. I rolled that on the counter top and removed that flare and they both chambered fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Re: Snider reloading

Post by ffuries »

Ok this is just awesome. I've got a Snider-Enfield that is an Afghanistan bringback. As much as I would love to shoot it, I'm scared shitless. What rifling is left looks like scratches in the barrel, I don't know of any gunsmiths local so it's more or less a wall hanger for now.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ffuries wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:42 am Ok this is just awesome. I've got a Snider-Enfield that is an Afghanistan bringback. As much as I would love to shoot it, I'm scared shitless. What rifling is left looks like scratches in the barrel, I don't know of any gunsmiths local so it's more or less a wall hanger for now.
Do you think it is a real one, or a "Khyber Pass" copy. Longcolt44 got a Khyber Pass SMLE one time. It looked real until compared with a real one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:17 pm
ffuries wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:42 am Ok this is just awesome. I've got a Snider-Enfield that is an Afghanistan bringback. As much as I would love to shoot it, I'm scared shitless. What rifling is left looks like scratches in the barrel, I don't know of any gunsmiths local so it's more or less a wall hanger for now.
Do you think it is a real one, or a "Khyber Pass" copy. Longcolt44 got a Khyber Pass SMLE one time. It looked real until compared with a real one.
Nope, she's real.......here's the original post on it. I've gone over it with a fine tooth comb, and all the markings are correct and appropriate.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26970&p=376731&hil ... ld#p376731
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Shoot it!

Load it up light and shoot it. They are pretty safe to fire. If the barrel is shot out, then it migh not be very accurate, but heck, they aren't that accurate in the first place! :chuckles:

If you get the guts to load some up and fire it, you will not be sorry. That is my favorite firearm to fire.

I have a Trapdoor, and a Spencer also. I have loaded for the Trapdoor but not the Spencer (YET!). But I will. I'm looking for a Martini carbine now. That might take some time because they are not cheap (like me).

Darryl