Loose fitting bolt

NEW! If it won't quite fit elsewhere, maybe it will fit here!!!!
Strictly at the mercy of the Administrators (could be moved)
Fr ameman1949

Loose fitting bolt

Post by Fr ameman1949 »

My M44 has a loose fitting bolt. I think the rear of the receiver is the problem. When the bolt is fully open, and then trying to return the bolt to the closed position sometimes results in the bolt sticking. It seems to get “cocked “ in the rear of the receiver channel. If I apply a small amount of downward pressure while pushing forward, it moves forward without sticking.
The question is, do I have a dangerous problem with the receiver or just a nuisance?
Is there a fix for this condition?
“ There are no Americans in Baghdad “ :bs.gif: :bs.gif:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Loose fitting bolt

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Loose bolt is the secret of the Mosins success. Loose tolerances in general that helped prevent mud and ice from locking the action up. The bolt locks up at the front, two locking lugs plus the bolt handle itself acting as an extra bit of safety . Do you have another mosin you can swap bolts with ( just for a test, do not shoot with before checking headspace) if the problem persists check for burrs, or other things that might be impeding the bolt. I have some fairly beat to shit Mosins, and some very old one's and have never encountered a problem involving a receiver worn in such a way as to jam the bolt itself. Not even a type 53 with it's markings worn faint, and with the look of having been run over by a tank does that. In fact every one of my Mosins has a bolt that when open easily slops all over the place in a way that would give a Mauser factory inspector a heart attack. That much is Mosin normal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fr ameman1949

Post by Fr ameman1949 »

This advice is very reassuring. I took your advice and tried a bolt from one of my other Mosin’s. Same loose, sloppy feelings.
I do have a small burr that I will polish away .
I do enjoy the challenge to make things better.
Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose but I always learn!
Thanks for your help.
“ There are no Americans in Baghdad “ :bs.gif: :bs.gif:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I sounds like your bolt stop might be sticking up a little high, seems like I had the same problem once. Compare it to another.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I know some people who have a loose fitting bolt too. :pointup:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:29 pm I know some people who have a loose fitting bolt too. :pointup:
Now, now! :chuckles:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:29 pm I know some people who have a loose fitting bolt too. :pointup:
I may have a few loose bolts but my nuts are still tight :wink:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:22 am
I may have a few loose bolts but my nuts are still tight :wink:
Touche!

I sold mine on the black market, no telling what former woman is wearing them now. It's ok, I wasn't using them anyway and I got enough to buy two Mosins and a Mauser. ;)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 am Loose bolt is the secret of the Mosins success. Loose tolerances in general that helped prevent mud and ice from locking the action up. The bolt locks up at the front, two locking lugs plus the bolt handle itself acting as an extra bit of safety . Do you have another mosin you can swap bolts with ( just for a test, do not shoot with before checking headspace) if the problem persists check for burrs, or other things that might be impeding the bolt. I have some fairly beat to shit Mosins, and some very old one's and have never encountered a problem involving a receiver worn in such a way as to jam the bolt itself. Not even a type 53 with it's markings worn faint, and with the look of having been run over by a tank does that. In fact every one of my Mosins has a bolt that when open easily slops all over the place in a way that would give a Mauser factory inspector a heart attack. That much is Mosin normal.
:pointup: :chuckles: but ya my mosin's bolt is sloppy also, and your not kidding about the Mauser factory JYD here we are many years later and my bolt on the Mauser still locks up very tight.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Germans built a rifle with a short, clean, western European war in mind. Not a knock down dragged out mud and ice fest that was Russia. You would think they would have learned in the trenches of the Great War, but no, the tight tolerance Mauser action continued into the second war. This after they fought a war in Russia already, maybe because it was in western Russia and they were doing the winning. They didn't get to experience all the many joys of the Russian winter when things aren't going according to plan. Problem is we copied the Germans, the M1903 experienced issues with mud jamming the action and even is speculated to have been the real cause of the bursting receiver issue. The M1 had issues as well , mud didn't seem to be a huge problem. but ice was. More than one WW2 GI has told me of having to free up their rifles action in the morning with the application of warm urine during the winter of '44, I heard a similar story from a Korean war vet.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 am Loose bolt is the secret of the Mosins success. Loose tolerances in general that helped prevent mud and ice from locking the action up.
Same goes for a military 1911. When I first got into shooting, I took my grandfather's 1911 to a pistol class. The NRA instructor looked it over, shook it, heard it rattle and said it was good. He explained the tolerance issues that tight race guns have when subjected to real world conditions.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

awalker1829 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 am
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:10 am Loose bolt is the secret of the Mosins success. Loose tolerances in general that helped prevent mud and ice from locking the action up.
Same goes for a military 1911. When I first got into shooting, I took my grandfather's 1911 to a pistol class. The NRA instructor looked it over, shook it, heard it rattle and said it was good. He explained the tolerance issues that tight race guns have when subjected to real world conditions.
That's because John Browning wasn't an idiot, he built firearms for the real world because that's were he came from. He used the firearms he designed, the BAR for instance was designed with him knowing his sons life serving with the AEF in France would depend on that weapon, ditto for the Browning machine guns. You will never go wrong trusting your life to a John Browning designed weapon.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:50 am The Germans built a rifle with a short, clean, western European war in mind. Not a knock down dragged out mud and ice fest that was Russia. You would think they would have learned in the trenches of the Great War, but no, the tight tolerance Mauser action continued into the second war. This after they fought a war in Russia already, maybe because it was in western Russia and they were doing the winning. They didn't get to experience all the many joys of the Russian winter when things aren't going according to plan. Problem is we copied the Germans, the M1903 experienced issues with mud jamming the action and even is speculated to have been the real cause of the bursting receiver issue. The M1 had issues as well , mud didn't seem to be a huge problem. but ice was. More than one WW2 GI has told me of having to free up their rifles action in the morning with the application of warm urine during the winter of '44, I heard a similar story from a Korean war vet.
The Germans weapon oil didn't work sub zero either. The Russians did. Ah, there's nothing like the smell of warm piss from sour kraut and schnapps on a froze rifle in the morning. Smells like my gun shop. Except for the :pee-contest:
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

You won't have a problem with a John Browning design that is correctly manufactured. There are plenty of "improved" John Browning designs that were "improved" by others that I will not trust my safety to.
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

I thought the same as the OP when I bought my first Mosin. The bolt was sloppy when opened, but locked up nice and tight. I checked the headspace and it was good. Shoots like a dream with no troubles at all.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

I know this is blasphemy here and this debate is similar to the 9mm. vs. 45 acp. stuff but the Mauser and the Mosins both had trouble with mud. Mosins were built to a looser tolerence true but often that worked against them.

In Finland during the Winter War many of the m/96s the Finns acquired from Sweden often went to the coldest, nastiest places because the Finns saw they worked in the cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFsx2XS2wA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrV3Wq59mz0
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

sheepdog wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:42 am I know this is blasphemy here and this debate is similar to the 9mm. vs. 45 acp. stuff but the Mauser and the Mosins both had trouble with mud. Mosins were built to a looser tolerence true but often that worked against them.

In Finland during the Winter War many of the m/96s the Finns acquired from Sweden often went to the coldest, nastiest places because the Finns saw they worked in the cold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFsx2XS2wA8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrV3Wq59mz0
The Lebel rifle also had issues with mud. Those were largely resolved by introduction of a stamped sheet metal dustcover that was attached to the bolt using the screw that attached the bolt head to the bolt body.