Hawes Ejector Tube

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ffuries

Hawes Ejector Tube

Post by ffuries »

The ejector tube on my JP Sauer & Sohn (Hawes) Western Marshall in 44 Mag, has a busted lip on. Found one on Numrich a few weeks back on a weekend, but the image was reversed and inverted. Went to call them the following Monday just to make sure and the damn thing was listed as sold. Just did a check and the damn thing is in stock again, LOL.

Last night, I couldn't sleep so while cruising the internet looking at guns and parts, I did a quick search on Gunbroker and found one, and the BIN price was cheaper than the Numrich one and in better shape. So instead of waiting for see how the auction would have played out over the next 5 or 6 days, I said screw it and did it at the BIN price.

Should be here next week, and the 44 will be 100% intact again, and looking better.

$30.25 shipped versus $42.25 shipped through Numrich.
Last edited by ffuries on Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Ironnewt

Re: Hawes Ejector Tube

Post by Ironnewt »

Keep us posted.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That damn tube is one of the things owners of these German reproductions complained about. With the Italian made ones it was the brass backstrap that was not Colt original style steel. They had to keep costs down on these back then, potmetal and brass parts are part of how they did that. Hawes sold a lot of reproductions, some in the range of normal like the peacemaker clones, others were oddball like the giant " pirate" flint pistols. Today they are much more into authenticity and the cost reflects this, no more $125 " Navy" .44's, now even the brass frame ones are pushing $300, Uberti top of the line stuff like the LeMat crack a grand.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Tube showed up today, so much better looking now. Here you can see the old tube removed and laying along side the new installed tube. Second picture shows the lip on the old one, with about a third of it gone, there is a crack (Not seen) that runs along half of the remaining lip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Overall shot of the Ole Gal in all her glory, and put back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
entropy

Post by entropy »

My uncle has one in .357, he mostly shot .38's out of it, but it was a fun gun to grow up shooting. Glad you got yours back together, Mike!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

entropy wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:47 pm My uncle has one in .357, he mostly shot .38's out of it, but it was a fun gun to grow up shooting. Glad you got yours back together, Mike!
She has between 300 and 400 rounds of 44 magnum through it, why my dad never used 44 special is beyond me.. My dad bought it new when we were stationed at Mountain Home AFB, ID (Between 75-77). It was the first gun I ever shot, the recoil buried the hammer in the forehead of my scrawny 8 year old ass.

The original holster (Shown) and cartridge belt (Not shown) are still with it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member