My first Mosin Nagant...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
1jackds2

Re: My first Mosin Nagant...

Post by 1jackds2 »

dolk wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:01 pm Tell your friend it is a Mosin or a Mosin Nagant. Not a "Nagant". A "Nagant is a Russian revolver.

Nice Mosin for a first rifle!

Dolk

He didn't tell me he had a "Nagant" that's just what I said in the post. Although, he does have a Nagant revolver like you say...I didn't know my wording was wrong...
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Hey, I just got another bolt for my Mosin. It came all covered in grease, I was told that's a good thing. Anyway, I was wondering what year it was. I got it from Numrich and it's clearly authentic and works better than the other bolt. It has a number but also an "02" stamped on the side. Is that the year?
20190614_210845.jpg
20190614_210831.jpg
20190614_210811.jpg
20190614_210801.jpg
20190614_210731.jpg
20190614_210654.jpg
20190614_210643.jpg
20190614_211200.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The 02 is the Hungarian country code under the commies, Izhevsk bolt body. This is not uncommon as many of these spare parts came from the Romanian mosin hoard of the early 1990's. Romania had been the dumping ground for Mosins from Poland, Hungary, and other commie countries as military aid. Romania had facilities to build an excellent M44, and when they had money they built them, however the rat fuck commie bastard running the country squandered the peoples wealth on lavish palaces that made the Pentagon look small. Because of this the Romanian production line stayed cold and they had to receive other countries castoff rifles. After they dragged the bastard and his horrible wife outside and shot them ( on live TV) the country was broke and needed hard cash right now. Somebody told them about all the crazy Americans who would pay actual money ( instead of a chicken and two potatoes) to own a worn out and beat to death Mosin so they shipped them here with all the extra parts they could find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

What was wrong with the original bolt?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

@ Junk Yard Dog...LOL...! that's funny but good info thanks. You really have some good knowledge of the Mosin, that rocks...

@Millman...The other one was hard to unlatch all the way after you fire a round. It was coming up to the first release point than you had to REALLY mean it to release it the rest of the way. I think it was jamming it back some after the shot and didn't like it. The number isn't matching on the other bolt so I don't mind putting a different one in it. I'm going out today to shoot with the new one to see if it's any different or if that's just a Mosin... 8-)
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Does anyone know if it's wise to remove the upper hand guard? I would like to disassemble the rifle and give it a thorough cleaning and grease but I don't know how to get off the barrel rings. This one has pins in the hand guard and I don't know it I need to take them out or even how. I don't want to disrespect the rifle but I also want to take care of it right. Any help or feedback would be great...!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Give us a few pictures of your rifle and the bands, with those pictures we can help further.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Oh yeah, duh...! LOL I'm still getting use to being on a forum...

Here's a couple showing the bands and the pins. It looks like they don't come out because they're flush with the hand guard like as if they were filed down or something. You definitely can't feel them very much. They were put in nicely...The bands don't hold the guard at all so it's the pins that are holding it on. I was thinking that the pins going horizontal held it down and the vertical ones help keep it from sliding or rotating. I just don't want to start driving out pins if will mess it up. Thanks for looking into it for me...!
20190616_190004.jpg
20190616_185953.jpg
20190616_185941.jpg
20190616_185932.jpg
20190616_185918.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

So after doing some research I figured it out. For the old style Mosin you take the front Barrel band off and loosen the rear Barrel band. there's a couple of tabs that the band's hold. And that upper handguard comes right off it's pretty delicate though. I heard that it's the most delicate part on the whole rifle...! LOL I sure am glad I didn't start just driving pins out and stuff! That would have screwed it all up...! Anyway here's a couple of pictures and thanks for all your guys's help!
20190617_191206.jpg
20190617_191225.jpg
20190617_191237.jpg
20190617_191251.jpg
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Just the handguard is worth over a 100 bucks.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

That's nice to know if I ever need another one. This rifle is amazing. There's no mechanisms just a piece of spring steel for the trigger. The rest of the trigger mechanism is on the bolt. Really simple but very functional. I'm really glad I got one...
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

1jackds2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:24 am That's nice to know if I ever need another one. This rifle is amazing. There's no mechanisms just a piece of spring steel for the trigger. The rest of the trigger mechanism is on the bolt. Really simple but very functional. I'm really glad I got one...
I've had to take the barrel band pins out before, not a big deal, just use something that won't scratch the wood. The screws are the biggest risk of ruining them, oil them before you try anything. I had one that wouldn't tighten up well enough, cut a thin metal strip and placed under the tabs which got it snug.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

And the mystery's just keep popping up.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Yeah, the screws just twisted right off. They were so corroded in between the band that they were about half the size of a pencil lead...! I'm glad I did it, they could have snapped when I was shooting and really thrown the barrel in my face... :shock: The new bands I ordered come with the screws and have the Tula hammer stamp so they're from the same era...
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

With those bands turn the screw to the right to loosen the band, turn it left to tighten, Do Not turn them too hard to the left or you will break the screw. The whole band is basically a spring. Screwing the bolt in (right) spreads the band, loosening it.

C. S. Lewis
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

I did turn them to the right, but I didn't know that they spread the band. I thought they just loosened like any other. Good to know, thanks...
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

First off. Read this nice step by step cleaning instructions that are on this forum. It also gets into things like different bolt having different headspace. Don't start swapping out bolts without checking headspace! Here's the link. --> app.php/page/48

There is a section on the following website for cleaning and care and it directly goes into the "Sticky bolt syndrome" which is so common it has it's own name. :) Here's the link. --> http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm

That's an excellent first Mosin!

Learn the rifle and learn how to safely clean and care for it. Don't swap parts unless you're absolutely sure they need replaced. You can cause yourself a lot of problems jumping feet first without a basic understanding of headspace and chamber pressures. You'll find most of the basics cover any firearm you come across.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Thanks, those are some good articles. I thought the cosmolene was a good grease and would be ok to leave some in the nooks and crannies. I guess not... I'll give it a better cleaning since I have it apart and check the head space. Thanks for the info...!
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Does anyone know where I can get an original M91 sling? I have everything else including the bayonet with sheath. All I need to finish it is a sling and I really want to get one that's 100 yrs old or close to it...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1jackds2 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:16 am Thanks, those are some good articles. I thought the cosmolene was a good grease and would be ok to leave some in the nooks and crannies. I guess not... I'll give it a better cleaning since I have it apart and check the head space. Thanks for the info...!
Cosmoline is our stuff, the product of a first world economy and use by Uncle Sam to preserve everything from nuts and bolts to tanks. It's applied hot with a brush, and dries to a wax like coating. The commies used the cheapest axle grease, it's only plus is that you can remove it easier. Cosmoline requires solvents and serious scrubbing, but nothing works better at preserving weapons in storage.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt