311 123 gr copper jacket steel core reloading bullets.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
2700fps

311 123 gr copper jacket steel core reloading bullets.

Post by 2700fps »

I put a question on the reloading section too. More readers here!
I would be reloading these for my Mosins.

Yes or no and why?
Thanks.
steelbuttplate

Re: 311 123 gr copper jacket steel core reloading bullets.

Post by steelbuttplate »

Make sure it's legal to do.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
2700fps

Post by 2700fps »

I live in Florida please explain....
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

I have used 123gr .311" PPU and Sellier & Bellot FMJ bullets in 54r using Vihtavuori N130 powder and they aren't too bad for short range use but for longer range they seemed too light for the barrels twist rate.

I must admit I haven't shot them in a Mosin but I did in my SVD which has the 1:320mm (or 1 in 12.6 inches) twist rate barrel, which favours a 150gr bullet, and I think the twist rate of a Mosin is 1:240mm (or 1 in 9.449 inches).

The twist rate of the SVD was changed from 1:320mm to 1:240mm in the 1970's in order to increase the rifles accuracy when using armour-piercing and tracer rounds, as these had a longer bullet that required a faster twist rate in order to stabilise them properly but it reduced the accuracy of 150gr sniper grade (7n1) ammunition by 19%.

So you may find that a 123gr bullet in a 1:240mm twist Mosin barrel may not be the best choice for accuracy.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

2700fps wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 pm I live in Florida please explain....
There are some states and ranges in other states that forbid steel core ammo. One spark can set a huge fire .
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Longcolt44 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:18 pm
2700fps wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 pm I live in Florida please explain....
There are some states and ranges in other states that forbid steel core ammo. One spark can set a huge fire .
I guess tracer are a no-no then? 🤔
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Here is what the Florida Statutes say. You may need an attorney to tell you if AP ammo is forbidden in a rifle but it is clear that it is forbidden for a handgun. The statutes go on to define the terms.

(2)(a) Any person who manufactures, sells, offers for sale, or delivers any armor-piercing bullet or exploding bullet, or dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
(b) Any person who possesses an armor-piercing bullet or exploding bullet with knowledge of its armor-piercing or exploding capabilities loaded in a handgun, or who possesses a dragon’s breath shotgun shell, bolo shell, or flechette shell with knowledge of its capabilities loaded in a firearm, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.0
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

My club range doesn't want me using steel core bullets, so I avoid buying them.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

There are alternatives to steel core bullets. I have had some good results with this bullet made specifically for the 7.62x54r. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money. I have also used these in .303 British and it makes for a nice, comfortable to shoot load.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

tjtM38 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:16 am There are alternatives to steel core bullets. I have had some good results with this bullet made specifically for the 7.62x54r. They are a bit pricey, but well worth the money. I have also used these in .303 British and it makes for a nice, comfortable to shoot load.
The Lapua 7.62 S405 bullet is actually made specifically for 7.62x39 round, not 7.62x54r, although Vihtavuori has load data for the S405 bullet when used in 54r

https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... reloading/
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

I see where you're coming from but Lapua themselves list the S405 as a 7.62x39 bullet......but obviously there is nothing to stop anyone using it in any cartridge that uses a .311" diameter bullet
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Snayperskaya wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:23 am
I see where you're coming from but Lapua themselves list the S405 as a 7.62x39 bullet......but obviously there is nothing to stop anyone using it in any cartridge that uses a .311" diameter bullet
I have used it in .303 Brit, 7.7 Jap and 7.62x54r. I have a couple of Mosin Nagants that slug out right at .311. I don't reload 7.62x39, but have always seen bullets for that caliber at .310 diameter.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

I've been reloading 7.62x39 for a while now, as milsurp was getting scarce and more expensive over here, and have used 123gr bullets from PPU, Sellier & Bellot and Lapua and they measure between .310" to .311" with some variance with some getting close to .312"

I found that using the lighter 123gr bullets obviously messed with the BDC settings on my PSO-1 scope, which is calibrated for a 150gr bullet, out to around 350m it wasn't that noticeable but beyond that there was a marked difference so I've stuck to using 150gr bullets.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Snayperskaya wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:44 am I've been reloading 7.62x39 for a while now, as milsurp was getting scarce and more expensive over here, and have used 123gr bullets from PPU, Sellier & Bellot and Lapua and they measure between .310" to .311" with some variance with some getting close to .312"

I found that using the lighter 123gr bullets obviously messed with the BDC settings on my PSO-1 scope, which is calibrated for a 150gr bullet, out to around 350m it wasn't that noticeable but beyond that there was a marked difference so I've stuck to using 150gr bullets.
Not sure where you are located, but I am assuming Eastern Europe. Have to say that 7.62x39 is one of the cheapest rounds to shoot here in the US, with some places selling for less than 20 cents a round. I even found some Bulgarian brass-cased, boxer prime for not much more a couple of years back. With prices so reasonable and more than adequate supply, I have not bothered trying to load the round. On the other hand, .303 Brit and 7.62x54r are getting more expensive as time passes, so I have chosen to reload those two calibers.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

tjtM38 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:31 pm
Snayperskaya wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:44 am I've been reloading 7.62x39 for a while now, as milsurp was getting scarce and more expensive over here, and have used 123gr bullets from PPU, Sellier & Bellot and Lapua and they measure between .310" to .311" with some variance with some getting close to .312"

Not sure where you are located, but I am assuming Eastern Europe. Have to say that 7.62x39 is one of the cheapest rounds to shoot here in the US, with some places selling for less than 20 cents a round. I even found some Bulgarian brass-cased, boxer prime for not much more a couple of years back. With prices so reasonable and more than adequate supply, I have not bothered trying to load the round. On the other hand, .303 Brit and 7.62x54r are getting more expensive as time passes, so I have chosen to reload those two calibers.
I'm in olde England mate :thumbsup:

When I got back into shooting around 6 and a half years ago Russian 7.62x39 milsurp was around £25 per 100 rounds (around $31 USD at todays exchange rate) but since the shenanigans in Ukraine and Syria etc it has climbed steadily and I saw one dealer recently advertising Czech milsurp x39 at £65 per hundred rounds!, but around £40 to £45 per hundred in the norm.We have started to see a lot of Chinese 7.62x39 and 54r coming in which is being imported in from a company called STV in the Czech Republic (who bought millions of rounds from Albania....exactly the same stuff as in the movie War Dogs!) which is dropping prices considerably again compared to where they have been.

I started reloading 54r as I wanted to see what my SVD could do with good consistent ammo and followed that up with x39 so that if the supply of milsurp ammo ever stopped for whatever reason I wouldn't be dependent on it and I would still have access to ammunition to feed my rifles.I have enough components and powder to keep me going for a while if the need ever arose ;)
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Snayperskaya wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 pm
tjtM38 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm in olde England mate :thumbsup:

When I got back into shooting around 6 and a half years ago Russian 7.62x39 milsurp was around £25 per 100 rounds (around $31 USD at todays exchange rate) but since the shenanigans in Ukraine and Syria etc it has climbed steadily and I saw one dealer recently advertising Czech milsurp x39 at £65 per hundred rounds!, but around £40 to £45 per hundred in the norm.We have started to see a lot of Chinese 7.62x39 and 54r coming in which is being imported in from a company called STV in the Czech Republic (who bought millions of rounds from Albania....exactly the same stuff as in the movie War Dogs!) which is dropping prices considerably again compared to where they have been.

I started reloading 54r as I wanted to see what my SVD could do with good consistent ammo and followed that up with x39 so that if the supply of milsurp ammo ever stopped for whatever reason I wouldn't be dependent on it and I would still have access to ammunition to feed my rifles.I have enough components and powder to keep me going for a while if the need ever arose ;)
Cheers! We're practically neighbors and I am glad to know there are some serious reloaders and shooters in the UK. Certainly, reloading is absolutely essential in a place where factory ammo is increasingly expensive. The only reason I reload 54r is just to play around with it and experiment on loads that work well in my rifles. I first started reloading a 123 gr bullet with medium burning powders because I wanted a softer shooting load in the M38 and M44 carbines. It turns out that the most accurate loads I found were in in the .303 British rounds shooting a No. 4 Mk 1/2 Enfield at ranges of 100 to 200 yards. The Lapua 123 Grain is incredibly accurate in all my Enfield rifles. I get a kick out of shooting these excellent battle rifles. They are not precision target grade, but they are a hell of a lot of fun to do some informal paper and steel target shooting at intermediate ranges. With two No. 1 Mk III* and two No. 4 Mk 1/2 rifles, I am having a great time finding out what these old war horses can do with the right load. As for the 7.62x54r, I just reload for fun, and to be honest, the light bullets give me only mediocre results in the M91/30 rifles. However, in the carbines, I have been able to develop some good loads with light bullets that you can shoot all day without the massive muzzle blast, flash and recoil you get from surplus or factory ammo. Thanks for all the good information you offered in this thread and I look forward to seeing posts from you and any other UK friends in the future.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Thanks mate :thumbsup:

You'll be pleased to hear there are indeed a lot of serious shooters and reloaders over here, more than people would imagine.It is quite surprising that the average British person hasn't a clue how many of use actually own fiearms and shoot regularly, most don't have a clue we can actually own guns.

There are a lot of military rifle shooters at my club, with plenty of everything from black powder muzzle loaders to Mosin's, Lee Enfields, Mausers, Schmidt–Rubin's, Ross's etc right up to AI-AW's.

Underlever rifles from Winchester, Marlin etc are also massively popular in everything from .22lr to 45.70 and then there's full on target rifle shooters, shotgun shooters (target/practical shotgun is very popular), black powder pistol shooters etc etc.......apart from the lack of semi-auto centrefire rifles and handguns a range in Britain on a typical day would be no different to one in the USA.