My first Mosin Nagant...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
1jackds2

My first Mosin Nagant...

Post by 1jackds2 »

So, a friend at work was talking guns and said he had a Nagant... I asked what it was and within a few weeks I bought my first...! :D I found out that it's a 1917 Tula and was imported here by C.I.A. (Century International Arms, Inc.). I paid $365 total including tax and transfer. I thought that was pretty good for any gun... I cleaned it up and oiled it and I'm going to go shoot it today.

Any input or advise on how to keep this guy in good shooting shape is welcomed... It would be fun to get a deer or elk with it...! :thumbsup:

I hope this works, I'm real good at forum stuff...

Here are some pictures.
20190602_145327.jpg
20190602_145408.jpg
20190602_145209.jpg
20190602_145150.jpg
20190602_145055.jpg
20190602_145009.jpg
20190602_161328.jpg
20190602_145002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My first Mosin Nagant...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cool, welcome to the board. From the style of scrubbing used to remove the czarist eagle from the markings this looks like a Balkan used M91. Most of these turn up with tiny pinecone stamps in the fingergroove, or on the buttstock. That would indicate Bulgarian use. These were provided to Serbia as aid from Russia during the great war and later captured by the Bulgarians and others. Lots of history in these rifles.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I have it's older brother, 1916 same rifle. I Had to replace the extractor on mine, perfect function otherwise. Aim low. Clean it well after you shoot some ammo thru it, clean the stock now and then with Murphys oil. Do this and It'll last another lifetime or three. :thumbsup: Oh yea leave the barrel bands alone if possible and remember the screws in those tighten backwards.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
entropy

Post by entropy »

A Peter the Great Tula 1917 M91 is a great first Mosin Nagant! Clean it immediately after shooting it, treat all 7.62x54R ammo as corrosive unless you loaded it yourself. There are many good informative subforums in the bar under the top of the page, about variations, cleaning, FAQ's , etc. Da Boss and steelbuttplate have given you some good info, too.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Congrats. Nice Balkan... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool way to start a collection, like chips, you can't have just one.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

That is a nice Mosin for a first one. Enjoy it.
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Thanks all, my post was supposed to say "I'm NOT real good at forum stuff". Anyway, that's some really cool info! I shot it yesterday 6-3-19, it was awesome...! Yeah I heard about the corrosive ammo so I bought some modern ammo but I still cleaned it well. I just got in to reloading so I'll be doing that also. I found that there's Tula hammer stamps all over it, that was cool...! Is Tula a person? @ junk yard dog, thanks I'll look for that pine cone stamp. It's great to have a network for these guns...
20190603_095052.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Tula is a place.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Oh, copy that...! 8-)
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

So the friend that got me into these sent me a pictures of one of his. I couldn't find the stamp on any other info page. Does anyone know the origin of this one?
20190605_123123.jpg
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

1942 Izhevsk.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

Cool, I'll let him know...

Thanks...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow you did great. A M91 like that in the condition you found is getting harder to find. Some guys think they need to "fix it up" or "restore the stock" to make it look better and doing so just ruins the history and value. At 365.00 you did fine. Isn't it just amazing that you can take something so old, and so cool, knowing it has literally served in no telling what kind of battle action, or skirmish some place and still it shoots as good as it did a century ago? Now your friend has the 91/30 model. If you place them side by side you'll notice all the upgrades as Russia changed the rifle. Shorter barrel and overall length, handguard changed, sling slots about the same distance but closer to the end of the barrel due to shorter length. And total change up on front and rear sights.
Now find yourself a carbine and see if you might want one of them. Harder to find, a 91/59 would be a good one. Or the M44 with the attached fold out bayonet is not so hard to find. You already bought the harder to find model so again I say you did great. :)
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

My first M91 was a 1917 Tula, still have it today. Shoots all well as I can let it, now get someone with better eyes she'd do even better.

Mine is SN N2207345, and is also stated to be a Balkans rifle.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Tell your friend it is a Mosin or a Mosin Nagant. Not a "Nagant". A "Nagant is a Russian revolver.

Nice Mosin for a first rifle!

Dolk
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

A very nice first rifle,don't be afraid to shoot the corrosive ammo..just read up on how to properly clean afterwords.
Your friends 91/30 are the most common Mosins.Yours being an M91,and older,is worth more and harder to find.Take heed to what has been said,don't alter the rifle,and it will keep its value,and increase as they become harder to find.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

1jackds2 wrote:Cool, I'll let him know...

Thanks...
If you'll drift that front sight to the right about 2 squirrel hairs, aim slightly lower, :thumbsup: mine does 2&1/2 inches at 50 yd using surplus ammo, , yours should too. Sandbag it.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
1jackds2

Post by 1jackds2 »

That's all awesome info, Thanks...! I was telling my friend that the other day. How that there might be teeth marks or blood or something on the stock from fighting. Never know. But for sure, I am not going to do anything to it except keep it clean and oiled. And actively shoot it of course. I just started hand loading so I will do that for it too. I want to hunt with it this year, I think that would be cool...!