P 64

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: P 64

Post by Darryl »

I own both. The Bersa is a lot heavier being made of solid steel. The P64 is Alum and painted over. Also the P64 is a little larger and certainly wider then the Bersa. The knock down power of the 9 x 18 is a little better then the .380. Not by alot, but just a little more. But the P64 is much more comfortable in my hand then a Bersa is. However, the one I carry is the Bersa .380. It will do the job.

I went to a S&W lightweight for carry now. .38 special +P. Bad part of that is it is only 5 rounds. But narrower, lighter, and easier to carry.

P64 is a great firearm. Of the Mak's, I like it the best.

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

For me, the pistol I have alongside my P64 is the PA-63. Aluminum frame, 9mm Mak round like the P64, but noticeably lighter. As far as accuracy I am considerably a better shot with the Hungarian PA-63.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

bunkysdad wrote:For me, the pistol I have alongside my P64 is the PA-63. Aluminum frame, 9mm Mak round like the P64, but noticeably lighter. As far as accuracy I am considerably a better shot with the Hungarian PA-63.
I really like the P 64, a lot of power in a little pistol and accurate. I'm trying out this Taurus PT slim 9 and it's a little lighter, not much.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I never carry either of these Mak ammo shooting pistols, but only because I don't want to scratch them up. :) I love the guns and the 9x18 round.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yosemite wrote:
dolk wrote:I own both. The Bersa is a lot heavier being made of solid steel. The P64 is Alum and painted over. Also the P64 is a little larger and certainly wider then the Bersa. The knock down power of the 9 x 18 is a little better then the .380. Not by alot, but just a little more. But the P64 is much more comfortable in my hand then a Bersa is. However, the one I carry is the Bersa .380. It will do the job.

I went to a S&W lightweight for carry now. .38 special +P. Bad part of that is it is only 5 rounds. But narrower, lighter, and easier to carry.

Dolk
I have the 8 round Bersa. Is yours the 7 or 8 round ?
The P-64 is 8+1 . I can't really tell that the 9x18 round is any less powerful than 9x19.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Sure the 9 x 18 is less powerful. The 9 x 19 has a heavier bullet moving at about 150 FPS faster. How much difference that makes to the victim, I don't have a clue.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

bunkysdad wrote:I never carry either of these Mak ammo shooting pistols, but only because I don't want to scratch them up. :) I love the guns and the 9x18 round.
I had four PA-63s at one time and I thought they were the cat's meow. I found after a lot of shooting, they develop some reliability issues. I had one come apart while shooting, flinging small parts all in the grass, never to be seen again. I ended up having to make some of the small parts because they weren't available. I finally sold my last one and was glad to be out of the PA-63 business.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

SA1911a1 wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:I never carry either of these Mak ammo shooting pistols, but only because I don't want to scratch them up. :) I love the guns and the 9x18 round.
I had four PA-63s at one time and I thought they were the cat's meow. I found after a lot of shooting, they develop some reliability issues. I had one come apart while shooting, flinging small parts all in the grass, never to be seen again. I ended up having to make some of the small parts because they weren't available. I finally sold my last one and was glad to be out of the PA-63 business.
I started out with P-64 issues, feed failure mostly. They don't like steel cased ammo. Switched to S&B brass ammo and no more problems in the last 30-40 rounds.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Yosemite wrote:
dolk wrote:I own both. The Bersa is a lot heavier being made of solid steel. The P64 is Alum and painted over. Also the P64 is a little larger and certainly wider then the Bersa. The knock down power of the 9 x 18 is a little better then the .380. Not by alot, but just a little more. But the P64 is much more comfortable in my hand then a Bersa is. However, the one I carry is the Bersa .380. It will do the job.

Dolk
I have the 8 round Bersa. Is yours the 7 or 8 round ?
It's a 7 round magazine. So it's a 7+1 or 8 total.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I've been down with pneumonia. Just got sitting upright today.

Dolk
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I nearly chose the P64 as my carry pistol but I chose the M88A instead because it was about the same price, was 9x19 Luger, was new production rather than a historic piece, and had many of the features that I like about the Tokarev design. For me the decision of DA/SA verses SA only was just to pick one and practice to make it a habit.

I think all the modern DA/SA pistols owe a lot of credit to Walther.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Dolk
I'm sorry, I think I am totally screwed up. I have a P64 and a Bersa. They are both the same weight (roughly). The P64 is not alum. I am thinking of the CZ82. I can only attribute that to being not completly in my mind because I had Pneumonia.

Both the P64 and Bersa are about the same except the ammo.

Sorry Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't shoot neither one of these pistols very much and the likelihood of me shooting the aluminum frame PA-63 enough to cause wear or parts coming apart are less than winning the lottery, but the PA-63 is for some reason just so accurate at the range. I guess I don't have the urge to flinch like I do when shooting the P64. That sucker hurts a little unless I wear a glove. :)