Need Authentication on my PU Sniper

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Fallout88

Need Authentication on my PU Sniper

Post by Fallout88 »

Hi all,

I've had this rifle for a little while now and thought I'd finally join the forum and get some opinions on it. From my research I'm leaning towards the real side but I'm no expert. I'm hoping some of you from experience can help me authenticate my PU or determine if its a bust.

Thanks, Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Re: Need Authentication on my PU Sniper

Post by SA1911a1 »

I like it, but I am not the expert. One of them will be along.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

It's legit, scope looks to be a replacement, barrel shank shows some signs by the receiver may have been scrubbed for a new scope. The bolt, mag well cover and the butt plate are all arsenal replacements during refurbishment. Still a correct survivor of WW2 sir.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
reiver

Post by reiver »

All the bits look right...is that a PW Arms import? Can you show a pic of the import stamps. I don't see any refurb marks on the barrel or the scope so it could be an original match.....that would be nice.
That is also a very nice early war stock.....very nice actually.
Fallout88

Post by Fallout88 »

Thanks for the replies, I'm happy its legit. So during a refurbishment they would replace parts like the bolt and butt plate and re-stamp the original matching numbers? Their are no refurb marks or import marks anywhere on the gun or scope.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

It has a Russian Federation Klimovsk proof house mark on the underside of the bolt

Fallout88

Post by Fallout88 »

Thanks for in info. So that confirms the gun was imported in at some point?
reiver

Post by reiver »

I wondered if it was a non refurb from the look of it....very nice indeed. If refurbed you'd have any part needing repair replaced (stock generally) and everything checked for max/min specs. The scope would be checked and when passed stamped with an arsenal (one of many) stamps and usually a date.….the same with the barrel usually around above/side of the serial number. Newer stocks generally stamped with an arsenal stamp too.
Generally the scopes and rifles at refurb arsenals are separated and a similar but not matching scope is applied...then the old numbers crossed out and the new scope serial electro penned etc...think boxes of scopes already pre inspected/checked/stamped.
Having a nice original matching rifle / scope is hard to come by.
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Fallout88 wrote:Thanks for in info. So that confirms the gun was imported in at some point?
It was exported/imported at some point, that's how it ended up in the USA......

The Klimovsk proof mark would have been applied when the rifle was proofed in Russia and is a C.I.P-recognised proof that is valid in all C.I.P member countries.All firearms and ammunition that are imported/exported between C.I.P member countries require a proof mark and in the case of ammunition a C.I.P certificate of conformity,which is mandatory

https://www.cip-bobp.org/fr/proof-marks-in-force

My SVD was produced in 2011 and bears the Izhevsk proof house stamp as well as a C.I.P stamp.I have a '44 Izhevsk PU that was proofed in Germany and bears a Mellrichstadt proof house stamp.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Fallout88 wrote:Thanks for the replies, I'm happy its legit. So during a refurbishment they would replace parts like the bolt and butt plate and re-stamp the original matching numbers? Their are no refurb marks or import marks anywhere on the gun or scope.
All the bolts were scrubbed and refurbished and new numbers stamped (matching old serial numbers) when the bolt was matched with it's new receiver. So all bolts are not original. I suppose there might be one or two, but not common.

Butt plate stayed with the stock and the stock was marked with serial number so it could go back onto the original barrel and receiver. No two receivers were drilled for the mount exactly the same. Close, but not perfect. So they tried to keep the stock with the receiver and barrel. Also the mount. Some stocks have pencil numbers matching serial #.

Scope could have been changed if it was damaged, but you see original scopes on there all the time.

They didn't always stamp a refurb mark on a sniper. All of mine are not stamped either. Most were not coming out of the Ukraine.

Most scopes were not stamped with a refurb mark. Some were.

app.php/page/56

Those Russian marks they are talking about mean nothing to the originality of the snipers or if they are real or fake. It's just a requirement to export it out of Russia.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

reiver wrote:Generally the scopes and rifles at refurb arsenals are separated and a similar but not matching scope is applied...then the old numbers crossed out and the new scope serial electro penned etc...think boxes of scopes already pre inspected/checked/stamped.
Having a nice original matching rifle / scope is hard to come by.
Not quite true. Not all scopes were refurbished. Only those that needed it. Only scopes replaced and barrel shank re-stamped are those that were damaged and not reused or refurbishable.

There are many PU with original scopes and not refurbished.

There are many scopes that were refurbished but still original to the barrel shank

There are many scopes replaced and not remarked on the side of the barrel shank. No scope numbers on the barrel shank (scrubbed and nothing put back on)

There are many scopes replaced and the number scrubbed off the barrel shank and the scope number re-stamped on.

So there are many options. All correct

Dolk
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

"There are many scopes replaced and not remarked on the side of the barrel shank. No scope numbers on the barrel shank (scrubbed and nothing put back on)"

My '44 Izhevsk PU fits into that category, it has a 1940-dated NKV "Progress" SVT scope refurb'd in 1959 at the 2nd GRAU Arsenal in Kiev and the barrel shank was scrubbed with only a faint number "4" still visible and no new scope number stamped.The rifle also has a 2nd GRAU Arsenal stamp on the barrel shank (a crossed square) so I would assume the rifle was refurbed in 1959 and the SVT scope was added at that time.
DSC_0113.JPG
DSC_0062.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

reiver wrote:All the bits look right...is that a PW Arms import? Can you show a pic of the import stamps. I don't see any refurb marks on the barrel or the scope so it could be an original match.....that would be nice.

That scope appears to be a replacement, there are parts of what looks like the old scope numbers around the 2nd 8 and the 4.
Fallout88

Post by Fallout88 »

Miller Tyme wrote:
reiver wrote:All the bits look right...is that a PW Arms import? Can you show a pic of the import stamps. I don't see any refurb marks on the barrel or the scope so it could be an original match.....that would be nice.

That scope appears to be a replacement, there are parts of what looks like the old scope numbers around the 2nd 8 and the 4.
I believe you are right, it seems like a new serial number was put on. Could it have still been a war time referb?
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Fallout88 wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:

I believe you are right, it seems like a new serial number was put on. Could it have still been a war time referb?

More than likely no. The wholesale refurbishment this rifle has recieved points towards post war. But that doesnt mean its not a war time sniper, M1C's, 03A4's , as well as No4Mk1 (T) where almost all refurb'ed post war. Only with the loosers snipers( Germany & Japan) do you not see any postwar refurbishments.