1941 Tula

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sreyemj

1941 Tula

Post by sreyemj »

I've been intrigued by the 1941 Tula ever since finding one years ago at a Cabelas. Unfortunately, I sold that one on GB when I want back to school (would love to buy it back if anyone has it, electrostencil serial RMN001665, receiver marked B*878).

This one was a GB find, CAI import. Looks very similar to the last one I had including the markings on the receiver tang.

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1941 Tula

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

Interesting that it was made in Izhevsk not from 1940 Tula barrel, like most of them, barrel at this one was dated 193*
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

Ratnik wrote:Interesting that it was made in Izhevsk not from 1940 Tula barrel, like most of them, barrel at this one was dated 193*
Yeah, noticed that as well. I wonder if any other examples are dated this way? Pretty sure my last one was a 194X stamp.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I watched that one, the 41 stamp is a little heavy and a little different font. I'm smelling me a Bubba. What's stamped on the tang ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is definitely an overstamped date, not necessarily by Bubba, but it is possible.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

steelbuttplate wrote:I watched that one, the 41 stamp is a little heavy and a little different font. I'm smelling me a Bubba. What's stamped on the tang ?
You mean the bottom of the tang? There's a picture above of the izhevsk arrow in triangle. I was a little anxious to check the bottom of the tang since there were no picture included in the auction.

Here's the auction:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793946702
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I have no doubts it's legit. Bubba would have a hard time faking that rough wartime receiver.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

sreyemj wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:I watched that one, the 41 stamp is a little heavy and a little different font. I'm smelling me a Bubba. What's stamped on the tang ?
You mean the bottom of the tang? There's a picture above of the izhevsk arrow in triangle. I was a little anxious to check the bottom of the tang since there were no picture included in the auction.

Here's the auction:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/793946702
The other side of the tang, the date ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

steelbuttplate wrote: The other side of the tang, the date ?
Not sure what date you're referring to? Here's the top of the tang and some receiver pictures:

sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

There's a 1941 Tula here with similar markings.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... ula-91-30s

Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

Of course it is different font. All so called "1941 Tula's" have restamped or "41" or last "1". Because all of them were built in Izhevsk on base of the leftover (after Tula stopped production of M91/30 in summer 1940) mainly 1940 Tula barrels. So last one or two symbols in the original date were restamped.
Discussed rifle for sure is genuine Autumn 1941 build. Besides, does it it have ПП in circle acceptance at the left side of the barrel shank, just near the wood line?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Ratnik wrote:
Of course it is different font. All so called "1941 Tula's" have restamped or "41" or last "1". Because all of them were built in Izhevsk on base of the leftover (after Tula stopped production of M91/30 in summer 1940) mainly 1940 Tula barrels. So last one or two symbols in the original date were restamped.
Discussed rifle for sure is genuine Autumn 1941 build. Besides, does it it have ПП in circle acceptance at the left side of the barrel shank, just near the wood line?
Good info , thanks. Did Ishevsk stop date stamping the tang at some point ?
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

Ratnik wrote:Besides, does it it have ПП in circle acceptance at the left side of the barrel shank, just near the wood line?
sreyemj

Post by sreyemj »

sreyemj wrote: Unfortunately, I sold that one on GB when I want back to school (would love to buy it back if anyone has it, electrostencil serial RMN001665, receiver marked B*878).
In a most interesting twist of fate, a forum member contacted me and said he now owned this rifle. After some discussion, he was kind enough to sell it to me and I picked it up this afternoon!

Both together:

Original purchase receipt from Cabelas in 2013, only $149!
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

WOW! Congrats on getting your original one back, that's very cool.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Here are a few more for comparison:
twotulas41sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

sreyemj wrote:
sreyemj wrote: Unfortunately, I sold that one on GB when I want back to school (would love to buy it back if anyone has it, electrostencil serial RMN001665, receiver marked B*878).
In a most interesting twist of fate, a forum member contacted me and said he now owned this rifle. After some discussion, he was kind enough to sell it to me and I picked it up this afternoon!

Both together:

Original purchase receipt from Cabelas in 2013, only $149!
Well, that certainly is a nice coincidence. Talk about a needle in a haystack. Perhaps you should have also bought a lottery ticket the day you found it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It looks on all these examples the Star and scrolled "No" and some other marks were original, and the serial number was added in addition to the date change. Plus one Ishevsk triangle :bonk:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The serial numbers and second 1 in the date are in Izhevsk's font. So yes they were added later.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.