Bulgarian pine cone marking on Soviet Izhevshevsk?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Murmeli

Bulgarian pine cone marking on Soviet Izhevshevsk?

Post by Murmeli »

Good day
In the introduction, the question came up on what the mark is under the year. Can someone identify this?
Thanks for Help...[attachment=3]IMG_20190205_005812.jpg[/attachment][attachment=2]rps20190214_063211.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]rps20190214_063244.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]rps20190214_063409.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeebill

Re: Bulgarian pine cone marking on Soviet Izhevshevsk?

Post by zeebill »

Russian depot rework mark of some sort. Without better pictures that is just a guess like others would make. Bill :o
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nothing in Ratnik's book to show that marking.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Longcolt44 wrote:Nothing in Ratnik's book to show that marking.
Exactly he mentions it not so it is assumed unknown and probably from Russia. The quality of the picture is still not good enough for me to make it out well enough to do anything but guess. I often find marks not in any books and just pass on their meanings. Such is Mosin collecting I guess. Bill :wink:
reiver

Post by reiver »

Are you talking about the triangle marking with the arrow in it? That is the Izhevsk factory stamp they put on smaller parts or whatever. I suspect Ratnik did not comment about it as it is so commonly known.

Tula also used the arrow but in a star.....what you see as a pinecone I suspect is the feathers on the tail of the arrow.

Whoops....just saw the marking you were referencing.....no idea....but it is hard to make out.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I think I know what the odd marking on the barrel is. Consulting for a second opinion before I comment more........
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Gentlemen, that's not Bulgarian, that rifle is Hungarian, and you all have to thank Racerguy00 for figuring it out.

2nd pic right above the "O" prefix number of the serial number, that Guys and Gals is a Kossuth Crest, which is a Hungarian Property mark that some associate with the 1956 Hungarian Revolution ( and incorrectly IMHO). After some discussion with a very knowledgeable collector in Italy ( Alb87) it is believed to be a pre 1956 Hungarian Property mark put on Russian weapons in Hungarian Service. There are now 5 known Mosin's with that marking in the US ( probably more) 3 are PU snipers, ( I have one) 1 is a 91/30 ( the OP's) and 1- M44 ( Teds former rifle, now mine ), plus 2 Tokorav TT33"s .
:pointdown:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareHungIzh.htm

Congrats to the OP for finding a very rare rifle. :thumbsup:
Last edited by Miller Tyme on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

racerguy00 wrote:I think I know what the odd marking on the barrel is. Consulting for a second opinion before I comment more........

Great observation Dave, nice to see there are still some rare ones out there. It is believed after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution that the Kossuth Crest was scrubbed from there weapons since it was the symbol most associated with the uprising. :thumbsup:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Here are a couple of pics of the crest that are struck a little better than the OP's

44 Izhevsk PU sniper
DSCI0021.JPG

45 Izhevsk M44
DSCI0003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Thanks Walt. I agree, definitely neat to see neat stuff like this still popping up. Great rifle OP.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Those pics I can see it but the others my eyes fail to see that. I thought about it but its that rare that I kind of figured something Russian instead. I could see it wasn't a Bulgarian pine cone but I had no idea what it might be from the picture hence the aforementioned guess. Dave did you get that rifle ,you have from Kevin's collection? I know we had one at one time. Just kind of lost track of it. Bill
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I did not Bill. Wish I had
Murmeli

Post by Murmeli »

I'm sorry for the late reply from me ...
Thank you very much for your help and information.
The funny thing is that with me the Kossuth Crest is not above the Ischewsk Arsenal but over the "O" prefix number. Couldn't find anything about it anywhere. Why was that marked differently?
rps20190303_173943.jpg
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

My guess would be that's because it wouldn't fit above the Izhevsk Arsenal stamp without overlapping the "O" in the S/N pre-fix.
Murmeli

Post by Murmeli »

Miller Tyme wrote:
racerguy00 wrote:I think I know what the odd marking on the barrel is. Consulting for a second opinion before I comment more........

Great observation Dave, nice to see there are still some rare ones out there. It is believed after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution that the Kossuth Crest was scrubbed from there weapons since it was the symbol most associated with the uprising. :thumbsup:

Do you know approximately how many existed?