New film / WW1 "They Shall Not Grow Old"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

Re: New film / WW1 "They Shall Not Grow Old"

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Ironnewt wrote:That doesn't make a lot of financial sense to me, but I am glad it was made.
I don't think this movie was produced for financial gain. It seems more realistic that U.K. historical foundations may have foot part of the bill on this one. It is a documentary, not many documentaries even make it to theatres. :2cents:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am heading out the door in about 15 minutes to go see this one. It is only in our city for one day. I will report back afterwords.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The film was outstanding. If you get the chance, don't miss it. It was quite intense. I had no clue until I got there that parts of the film were in 3-D. To show you how long it has been since I was in a movie theater, it was the first time I have seen a 3-D film. The theater also had plush electrically operated recliners. What will they think of next.

The audience looked like the geriatric ward at the hospital. I haven't seen so much grey hair in one place since the last funeral I attended (about 30 years ago) Not a single cell phone rang during the film, and nobody tried to talk over the movie. I guess not many young people give a crap about WWI.
Last edited by SA1911a1 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I would have to drive over an hour to see it on the 27th, which us the other night it is showing, but I am not doing that. Does anyone know if it is gonna be on BBC or somewhere in the future?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

I'm sure it will be released on video/dvd at some point in the next few months. I will keep an eye out on new releases, I am very current on films and will post as soon as I see it for sale. I'm sure at some point it will make it to Netflix with the rest of the wartime documentaries as well. It was very good! Amazing what they are capable of nowadays in the film industry. "Bloody Marvelous"

As of right now this is the release status: "They Shall Not Grow Old DVD and Blu-ray release date not announced."
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Looking forward to catching it on the 27th hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:soapbox: We wanna see the damn movie ! :hunter: :grumpy: :hunter: :grumpy: and a girlie show too :bellydance: :burp:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

My buddy Joe and I went to see it last night and I will say after a big meal in a Chinese buffet I only blinked my eye twice. There is a 1/2 hour technology brief after the documentary and do be sure you stay for that. Many of the dummies who came in late left without knowing about it early. Really people are so dam dumb at times it is mind boggling. Movie gave me a lot of interesting facts and new looks at WW1 which I enjoyed. It is written from the English side mostly but that covers enough to tell you a bit of the US side too. The way they slowed and sped up the old films and restored stuff to color from herky jerky black and white which in a few years because of the age of the film would be gone forever was very rewarding to hear and learn. Well worth the $10 it cost for sure. Keep rechecking the location of this film as we first only had an hour ride option to see the film then later we suddenly had a 1/2 hour ride from the house near places to eat too. I sure enjoyed it and would like as not buy the movie if available later on! Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I will see it when it shows up for sale on Amazon. Haven't been to the theater since Last Samurai, hate going out amongst the public, mostly because of the same dumbasses Bill mentioned.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

SA1911a1 wrote: I guess not many young people give a crap about WWI.
Sadly, I question if some of the younger people even know what WWI was all about, or if they even teach it to them in schools anymore.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Almost_Samurai wrote:I'm sure it will be released on video/dvd at some point in the next few months. I will keep an eye out on new releases, I am very current on films and will post as soon as I see it for sale.
Probably the only way I will be able to see it.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Fledge wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote: I guess not many young people give a crap about WWI.
Sadly, I question if some of the younger people even know what WWI was all about, or if they even teach it to them in schools anymore.
As I remember, they didn't teach much about it when I was in school in the 50s and 60s either. It was a bump in the road in our history classes. Then again, they only touched on WWII when some of our teachers and administrators were combat veterans. I wish I had that time back. I would be pestering the hell out of the vets about their experiences. The ones who were in the thick of the fighting just wanted to forget about it and get on with their lives. I also recognize now that the crazy history teacher, a tanker during the Battle of the Bulge, that I admired greatly, was suffering from an acute case of PTSD. We just thought he was eccentric, and suspected that he may have had an alcohol problem. Rest in peace Mr. Marcus.

I was at school during the height of the cold war, and most of the time was spent on teaching the evils of Communism in general and Russia in particular. It was only through self-study that I learned about the importance of participation of Russia, as our ally, in the war. Propaganda was all the rage back then, and we, as kids, had no clue that we were being kept in the dark and fed bullshit. The more thing change, the more they stay the same......

When I was in the fourth or fifth grade, I got a book from the library about Pearl Harbor. It was one of a series of historical fictions written for young folks. We Were There at the Battle of Pearl Harbor. That simple little book started me on a life-long history study of WWII. A few years ago, I found a copy of the book, and it shares a spot on my shelves with all of the great books on the war. I have spent untold thousands of hours, in bed, reading and experiencing the war. In the last few years, I have been reading, almost exclusively, autobiographies of the soldiers, sailors and airmen. It has been a pleasurable pastime, and has enriched my life greatly.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

My Grandfather served in the 6th Battalion of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (K.S.L.I) from 1915 to 1918, he fought at Ypres, The Battle of the Somme, Passchendaele and Cambrai.He was wounded on four seperate occassions and returned to the front each time.In 1918 he transferred to The Machine Gun Corps and continued serving after the Armistice as part of the occupying force in the Rhineland.I was only very young when he pasted away in the 1970's but my most vivid memories of him is him sat on a chair in the kitchen with what can only be described as a 1000 yard stare.

I have his notebook from the war that I am using to piece together his wartime service.His younger brother was killed in action in 1915 and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.
Andylit

Post by Andylit »

Been there done that.

It Is AWESOME!!!

Absolutely breathtaking. Moving and raw at times. No punches pulled but the footage and the topic is treated with the utmost respect. No message, no condemnation.

You MUST make it a point to see this film. You will not regret it.
"Give a man a fishk, an' 'e'll eat fer a day. Teachk 'im ta fight, an' 'e'll feast on da meaty marrow of hisk foes fer a lifetime!" ~ Coxswain Ulrich
slcampbell

Post by slcampbell »

I saw the movie in Louisville Ky. on the 27th, it was amazing what they were able to do with 100 year old film. I would advise anyone who gets a chance to see it.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

You guy's make me feel bad about my opinions of the movie. While I did enjoy it, I was honestly a bit disappointed. I guess I was expecting something very different from what it was. If you look at it from the perspective of what Peter Jackson said it was ("A documentary from a non-historian for non-historians") then yes, it's very good. I didn't see any footage in the film that was new, that I hadn't already watched a hundred times on any of the history / discovery / TLC channels over the past 30 years. Yes, they did an incredible job making it look good and not all jittery etc. For that I 100% give them a lot of credit. But at the same time there was a lot of repetition of the film that they processed as well. Sometimes it was just visually flipped, sometimes it was super-slow mo. They had hundreds of hours of film to work with according to the movie intro but still wound up using the same shots multiple times? That to me was a huge disappointment. That being said, the stories they were telling while the film was rolling included a lot that I had never heard before and brought a fresh and interesting story. That was the saving grace for me that made it worth seeing. Whether it was really worth the $30+ I spent for the ticket for my wife and myself, I'm not as sure as some of you. It's absolutely worth watching on the History Channel or Discovery, or where ever it winds up being aired first. When it hits the tube, it's worth the watch. It is a good documentary but just wasn't what I was expecting going into it, which left me disappointed but I did appreciate it for what it was.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach