Finnish Mosin Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tailgunner67

Finnish Mosin Question

Post by tailgunner67 »

I recently purchased a Finnish SA marked Remington M91. The rifle is in very good condition. When I took it down for cleaning the bolt was still caked with cosmoline but I noticed that it had several Remington parts. Once disassembled I noticed that the entire bolt is Remington marked to include the extractor. The serial of the bolt body and on the cocking knob are both different from each other and the rifle. So my question is, can it be possible that the rifle was imported with a maker matching bolt, or is it for sure a bubba job aimed at having a matching bolt? I think this is the way it is imported but lord knows I have been wrong before. What do the Finnish Mosin experts think? Has anyone ever received a Finn with a maker matching bolt?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finnish Mosin Question

Post by millman »

Anything is possible, but I would say if it was all full of grease, it probably came that way.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

It's possible all of it COULD be all original. Not very probable, but certainly possible. No way of telling for sure.

Yes, there are samples of Finn marked rifles with all the original marks for the original rifles still on the same rifle.

But those rifles are so old that most of them have had replacement parts here and there.

Oh, and it's not Cosmoline. It is dried grease. Only ones who used Cosmoline is the US. Everyone else used old grease. Dry it up and it kind of looks like cosmoline. Sometime even harder to take off! :very mad:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I have a Finn with a complete Remington bolt. It too was covered in grease. I don't remember what rifle it was though.
Kollaa kestää
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

I appreciate the feedback. I have learned to ask questions before I jump to conclusions. Its very cool to think some Finnish armorer took the time to put together this bolt.