New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by millman »

salty wrote:greetings boys,

i bought mosins when they were cheap, and i stacked them high.....
thanks for having me
Welcome aboard. Show us what you have. We like pics.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Fr ameman1949

first Mosin Nagant new to me anyway

Post by Fr ameman1949 »

Hello members !

it’s good to find people of similar interests.
I recently purchased a Mosin 91/30 from Aim Surplus.
I didn’t know it was an IO reverb but it will do.
Should I be aware of anything that could be a problem?
“ There are no Americans in Baghdad “ :bs.gif: :bs.gif:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Welcome, post some pictures on the main forum and we can help better.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Moby

Post by Moby »

Hello everyone,
I just purchased a Mosin M91 this past weekend at a gun show. Tula 1894 stamped stock with matching bolt. That being said the stock is in great shape but with a cross bolt. After looking a many M91 posted here the stock may have been an add on. A lot of great information here. I just a WW1 rifle collector. Mosin being my first.
Thanks
EddieD25

Post by EddieD25 »

Moby wrote:Hello everyone,
I just purchased a Mosin M91 this past weekend at a gun show. Tula 1894 stamped stock with matching bolt. That being said the stock is in great shape but with a cross bolt. After looking a many M91 posted here the stock may have been an add on. A lot of great information here. I just a WW1 rifle collector. Mosin being my first.
Thanks
Hey! Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures for us to see!
Catdog1999

Post by Catdog1999 »

I recently picked up this 1895 Izhevsk updated Cossack rifle and wanted to know if any one has any info on updated Cossack rifles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That looks sweet. Make a full thread of that one.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
CamaroDMD

Post by CamaroDMD »

Hello,

My name is Richie. I recently inherited a 1891/30. I look forward to learning about it.
100Acre

Post by 100Acre »

Hello all. New person here. I've owned about a dozen or so Mosin Nagants over the years but am now starting a real keepers collection. I wish I hadn't sold some of them like my M39 and a few others but I was poor and needed the money etc...I'm sure you've heard the stories. Anyway I currently have 12 in my collection at this time. I'd like to learn more about these battle rifles but I love history and research so this is right up my alley. Anyway, I just wanted to make my 1st post. Thanks.
Are all of my pix on here going to load sideways?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

100Acre wrote: Are all of my pix on here going to load sideways?
They shouldn't. That a new one to me.

C. S. Lewis
100Acre

Post by 100Acre »

I picked up 9 Nags over the past 2.5 weeks. A Spanish civil war 1936 Tula with mismatched parts and the shared wire hangers. I also managed to score some M91's and a M27 a bunch of which are Finns.
A Westinghouse
A couple of Tikkas and VKT'S
A couple of Imperials including a Peter the Great
Another M27
Another TULA M9130 with a bent bolt
I need to take some better pictures and close ups of the marks.
Cactus109

Post by Cactus109 »

Just now rejoining after not posting for too long. Have a 91/30 from 1935 with an original PU scope, and a M39 from 1943. All matching numbers. Plans are modest. Get parts running smoothly, and enjoy. Best to all.
Cactus109

Post by Cactus109 »

Is using a wax on the stock considered an impermissible alteration to an original MN? Waxes can always be removed, but I wanted to check first. Thanks.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

What kind of wax?

C. S. Lewis
Cactus109

Post by Cactus109 »

I'm partial toward the Rennaisance Gun Stock Wax. Midway carries it. Sound ok to you?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Cactus109 wrote:I'm partial toward the Rennaisance Gun Stock Wax. Midway carries it. Sound ok to you?
Honestly these Mosin stocks don't need anything on them. Just wipe the dust off with a soft rag.

C. S. Lewis
Cactus109

Post by Cactus109 »

I agree that the stocks don't really need anything, especially since I don't take them outdoors. I was thinking about wax purely as part of an overall regimen of keeping things neat and clean. My only hesitation had to do with the general and correct resistance here to alteration of the originals. I.E., will applying wax be considered an irreversible alteration? Thanks.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I don't think it would really alter it, but why add what is unnecessary? Some here say they use lemon oil, and in the past I would dust mine with Pledge. I don't do that anymore,because I don't think I was helping them. Feel free to post a thread about this in the main forum and get a consensus of what the others think.

C. S. Lewis
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Hello from the UK, I've been an fan of Russian rifles for a while now and Mosin-wise I currently own an all matching numbers 1944 Izhevsk PU sniper (which I picked up today!) and a 1926 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon.My "other" rifles are a Dragunov, a "Soviet-ised" Romanian AKM and a rather nice 1969 TOZ-8M Russian Cadet rifle.

Previous Mosins include a 1938 Izhevsk M91/30, a Izhevsk 1944-dated M44 Carbine and a 1953-dated Romanian M44.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the forum and learning a bit more along the way
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Welcome Snayperskaya! Sounds like a few I'd like to see in the galleries!
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)